Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some 'what is its" ...help appreciated
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Some 'what is its" ...help appreciated Reply with quote

My 66 bug project came with a small tub of odds and ends in the trunk. Found some useful stuff (the missing rear seatback shoulder bolts ..) but also some stuff I can't quite identify. Two of the skinny-headed bolts; two of the small tubes with a hole and tightening bolt gizmos. Perhaps some of you more experienced Beetlers can help out. Check the photo and let me know. Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a broken off battery lug, adapters for fuel cable & clutch cable. The short bolt with the large head looks like an adjuster off a refrigerator. the last piece looks like a spacer for a keyed shaft. Hope this helps
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay ..perhaps I should have been more specific. Here's the pic with the items numbered, 1 through 5. Item # 2 is definitely NOT a broken battery lug. The part on the bottom right is not 'broken' ...just worn. And #3 is not a fridge leveling foot ...the flat bolt head is less than 3/4 inch wide, and the threaded part is less than a half inch long (VERY tiny fridge??). #4 takes an 8mm wrench on the bolt, and the bolt head is marked KAMAX 5.6 ..

So, let's try again ...okay?? Thanks

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left to right, and then foreground:
Fan hub, Broken marine battery post adapter, rear seat pivot bolt, heater box cable / accelerator cable clamp, accelerator cable shortening adapter.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks. I'll defer to your expertise on all except #3. Not a rear seat pivot bolt. THIS is a rear seat pivot bolt ...and I found two of them in the tub ..not chrome though. Lots of patina. LOL.

Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 is a barrel nut used to hold accelerator cable at the carb., and used at the heat exchangers to hold the heater control cables to the spring brackets that open and close the heater flaps.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memories fade, but after 4 + decades of rebuilding 200 + engines and buying, refurbishing, repairing and selling 58 different VW's, # 4 doesn't ring a bell with me. I've completely blown apart 5 VW's to build kit cars, a dune buggy, and a homemade rail since the 70's, and I don't recall seeing that part. When someone more knowledgeable identifies it as a "xxxyyy" and it really does come on a VW, I reserve the right to plead ignorance and advanced years.

Perhaps it really IS a leg adjuster for something smaller than a refrigerator.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 is a throttle cable adjustment stop. Part number 111 129 921.

In all my decades of dropping 200 + engine parts on the ground, all of them have had 9 digit part numbers. Wink

I have seen #3 somewhere. When I drop one out of my car- I'll see where it came from! I'll have a definitive answer by Sunday... Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys. So, if I put my "Mentalist" skills to work, I could surmise that at some point in my bug's life (...get it: Bug's Life ...) it has had some major overhaul work done on the fan, carb, etc. ...and perhaps a previous owner took the battery out of his boat and put it in his car. There was a complete Solex Pict 30 carb in the parts tub as well ..I suppose I should keep that, rebuild it and use it for a spare. I guess this whole episode lends credibility to the advice to bag and label the parts as I tear my bug down for the rebuild .....
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:
Memories fade, but after 4 + decades of rebuilding 200 + engines and buying, refurbishing, repairing and selling 58 different VW's, # 4 doesn't ring a bell with me.

#4 is a barrel nut (VW part #111 129 921) Without it, how are you attaching the throttle cable to the carb linkage?
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: alternator/generator cooling fan hub
2: ???
3: ???
4: barrel nut for heater box cable/accelerator cable clamp
5: accelerator cable shortening adapter.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
templeofspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 is part of a rubber fuel pump mount, which would have been two metal parts vulcanized to rubber. If 5mm thread probably one of the fuel trap mounts used on mk2 jetta/golf. Or old GM A/C condenser mounts...
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

drs1023 wrote:

Memories fade, but after 4 + decades of rebuilding 200 + engines and buying, refurbishing, repairing and selling 58 different VW's, # 4 doesn't ring a bell with me.

#4 is a barrel nut (VW part #111 129 921) Without it, how are you attaching the throttle cable to the carb linkage?

See, I can't even type # 3 properly
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
1: alternator/generator cooling fan hub
2: ???
3: ???
4: barrel nut for heater box cable/accelerator cable clamp
5: accelerator cable shortening adapter.

Agreed, although #5 was also sold as a broken throttle or heater cable repair end Very Happy

eyetzr wrote:
looks like a broken off battery lug

Agreed, #2 broken battery terminal adapter, commonly used in Marine, truck or RV battery's

templeofspeed wrote:
#3 is part of a rubber fuel pump mount, which would have been two metal parts vulcanized to rubber. If 5mm thread probably one of the fuel trap mounts used on mk2 jetta/golf. Or old GM A/C condenser mounts...

Agreed, #3 is only 1/3 of a broken rubber insulated mount, also commonly used to mount electric air pumps on New Beetles. IIRC also once used to mount Rabbit and Dasher radiators...

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Last edited by 61SNRF on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you maybe onto something there: there are two of them, and upon close examination, one of them has some black rubber residue on the bottom side. I've seen similar mounts used on some antennas, etc. as well. Perhaps it didn't "belong" in that tub of VW bug leftovers afterall.

Now that I know I don't need them for the VW rebuild, perhaps I'll used one to level that wobbly filing cabinet in my office!!

Thanks for all the input guys!!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know what you are going to learn on SAMBA today Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: