Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questions about engine tin & parts setup for a '68
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Questions about engine tin & parts setup for a '68 Reply with quote

Hey y'all!

Looking for some opinions, so please feel free to give yours!

My '68 bug is on a 73 pan so it's already non-stock. I'm fine with that level of non-stock, but I want to keep everything else pretty much as close to '68 as I can.

I've got a mutt engine right now and it's a beater. It came out of an early super and has a rebuild tag riveted over the case number - single port heads, doghouse oil cooler, oil bath air cleaner. It's also missing a lot of tin. The sleds, heat riser insulators, hoover bit, and breast tin are gone; there's an aftermarket HORRIBLE fit chrome breast tin right now. I want to get *almost* everything in the engine bay back to stock look and function.

Since this is a mutt engine, clearly not a '68, what's the best year style to build it back up to, as far as parts availability, design, service life? I'm talking about externals, since I won't be doing a rebuild yet.

I want to keep the oil bath, and I want to put all the original tin back in place, but I don't know what parts to get!
Where can I find information on parts diagrams, numbers, and years used? I only have bus resources right now!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the breast tins, but I can tell you that air cleaner looks like a 61-65. Here's a guide I found http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_04_01/wired_04_01.htm

Maybe give a call to AwesomePowdercoat about the tins, that's their specialty.
http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/products.html

Oh, and I'll take all that doghouse tin if you don't want it.... Very Happy
Stock SP, Bosch vac advance
30PICT-3 swapped to a 30PICT-1

"At least I know that I don't know. Question is are you bozos smart enough to feel stupid? Hope so"

durhamfirecaptain wrote:
Wow, we have VW's in North Carolina?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That body does not look like a 73. All bodies got eyebrow vents behind the rear quarter windows in 72, so I think you have a 70 or 71 body there (might possibly depend on the country of origin I suppose).

The air cleaner is NOT 68, but is for an earlier 1200 engine, so it might be restricting the airflow into the engine a little. The 68 had a large oval air cleaner with TWO inlets - the left one has a weighted flap (which opened only if you floored it) and a right one with a wire-pull operated warm air inlet - the wire-pull worked off the right set of movable flaps, which had a small crank sticking out of the tinware, just behind the inlet manifold. The later 69-72 oval air cleaners (with just one inlet on the right) will fit OK too, but 71 and 72 had a vacuum operated warm-air system (a vac-switch in the top of the air cleaner), so would need a vacuum connection to make that work.

The distributor is non standard too of course - all bugs came with a vacuum distributor.

Looks like the carb on there is a 31PICT (used on UK/European 1300 engines after 71) or an H30/31. Both will sit directly on the single port manifold, and both will work OK with a 1300-1600 engine. The 31PICT will work with the vacuum distributors but the H30/31 has a lower vacuum signal and might struggle to pull in all the vacuum advance. If so the distributor points-plate spring can be lightened, but I've never had to do that so can't advise you further there.

I'd keep the doghouse cooling and the single port, since that's what you have and it will run OK with that...unless you want to start spending more money.

You'll need all the right tinware - rear breastplate with the warm-air hole on the right (if you change the air cleaner), all the underside plenum pieces (the "sled" you called it), preferably the thermostat, and most definitely the movable cooling flaps, even if they are wired open no thermostat). They act as an important air guide when open. The rectangular air duct from the oil cooler to the front breastplate or course, plus replace the Hoover bit, or you loose about 30% or your oil-cooling air.

Check the throwout bearing in the tranny - if it has flat ears and complicated looking spring clips, then that clutch plate will work. But if you have a throwout bearing with round ears and simple horseshoe clips, you MUST use a clutch plate with the metal collar in the middle of the fingers. The two clutch plates are otherwise identical.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:
That body does not look like a 73. All bodies got eyebrow vents behind the rear quarter windows in 72, so I think you have a 70 or 71 body there (might possibly depend on the country of origin I suppose).

You're right, the body is a '68. At some point in its past, a PO swapped the chassis out for a '73.

Quote:
The air cleaner is NOT 68, but is for an earlier 1200 engine

So it is! Looks like I'll be okay over the summer, but I'll definitely be hunting for the preheat hose and tin before we cool off again this year.

Quote:
The distributor is non standard too of course - all bugs came with a vacuum distributor.

Yep, working on getting the right distributor and carb on this engine! Lots of (conflicting) information on here to sort through.

Quote:
Looks like the carb on there is a 31PICT (used on UK/European 1300 engines after 71) or an H30/31.

Dead on, it's an H30/31, and I am looking for a replacement! Heard the 34pict series with an SVDA style distributor is a good combination...I broke the throttle return spring bracket installing the engine so it's ghetto rigged now until I figure out what to replace it with.

I'm keeping the doghouse setup, but I really just don't know what years of tin to look for to make everything work together. Like right now I have no option for carb preheat due to my tin, but my air cleaner is set up for preheat. Then you have big pulley tin or small pulley tin, and probably ten different rear breastplate tin layouts depending on each year!
Thanks y'all for the info!!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the fan size for that dog house shroud. Its slightly bigger than the 1600 SP (1970) to compensate for the air that goes directly to the cooler. I've putzed around with the aftermarket tin - pure crap IMO! Find or steal some original German tin if you can. Pound it out and paint it to match.

The thermostat is IMO more important than the hot air hoses for the carb - BUT I'd prefer to have everything as stock so the motor will run as VW intended.

You can't use the Pic 34 carb on your motor unless you put DP heads on it. There are no single port manifolds that will accept the larger carb, and no adapter for it that I know of. The right carb for a 1500 single port (SP) is a 30 Pict 2 carb. Correct distributor would be the 113-905-205M for a 68 - the 113-905-205T will also work provided you have the right carb.

Don't mix and match carbs and distributors - the wrong combination will at best not work very well and give you lousy mileage - and at worst will give you lousy mileage AND be a handful to drive. The worst combination might be the 34 Pict 3 with a centrifugal advance only Bosch 009 distributor. The flat spot is right off-idle when you need the power to get going - and the motor just refuses to go. Crossing a busy intersection can make for a real adventure! Some people have made that combo work - I've had several of them and managed 'OK' but was never happy with them. Which is why I usually put dual carbs on - and kept the distributor which works well with them.

Here's what the engine tin looks like for a dual port motor - model years 71-79. For SP all you need to do is use the cylinder covers from your motor.

To get the correct breast tin you'll first need to know which carb you'll be using - so hold off on running out and buying one now.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you might perfer the correct year aircleaner for looks, I recommend a 1972 or later air cleaner. You can use a 1972-73 oil bath or a 1973 and later paper element air cleaner for carbureted engines. Don't use a fuel injected air cleaner for a carbureted engine.

The later carbureted air cleaners all have a thermostatic air preheating system that is superior over all past systems. If you ever want to tune for best fuel mileage, one of these later air cleaners will help. Plus they don't lose top power like other air cleaners because the flap opens up to only cool air under acceleration.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source your tin right here in the classifieds. Attend shows/swaps. Look into the local VW scene for items. Keep it stock.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
Check the fan size for that dog house shroud. Its slightly bigger than the 1600 SP (1970) to compensate for the air that goes directly to the cooler.

Wrong size, dangit! My calipers measured it as 33mm wide. Looking for a doghouse fan now.
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good but I would def junk that single releif case if you do a rebuild. looks like the engine im building. I am a big advocate of getting rid of all those fresh air ports as well so I would run a 36 doghouse w\o fresh air and j tubes. you would get better cooling on that single releif.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewvwclassic wrote:
Looks good but I would def junk that single releif case if you do a rebuild. looks like the engine im building. I am a big advocate of getting rid of all those fresh air ports as well so I would run a 36 doghouse w\o fresh air and j tubes. you would get better cooling on that single releif.

Thanks for the bump, I used your post as an excuse to go pry off the rebuild tag. My case is a 1974-1979 non-USA 1600 50hp case. If it specs ok internally it's a good dual relief case.. "IF" it specs okay Rolling Eyes

I do have to disagree with you on the fan shroud. I believe the heat exchangers are a small part of the overall cooling system. You ever felt the heat dumps with the engine running? They put out a pretty good amount of heated air no matter if the heater flaps are off.

That and I just really want heat.
briansandiego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, Not trying to show off or anything Rolling Eyes but maybe this pic helps a little? This should be mostly the correct parts for a 68. I think with the exception of the red aircleaner sticker and the gold generator pulley. The big doohicky sticking out from the carb is an emissions part that might be for California only?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1112912
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
OLD VW NUT wrote:
Check the fan size for that dog house shroud. Its slightly bigger than the 1600 SP (1970) to compensate for the air that goes directly to the cooler.

Wrong size, dangit! My calipers measured it as 33mm wide. Looking for a doghouse fan now.

33 mm wide inside or outside? Should be inside and that would make it smallest fan used on DH. VW went from there to 34 and lastly to 35 mm which cooled best.
VW also installed biggest crank pulley on DH engines since 40 HP engine came out in 1961. Larger lower pulley results in more fan RPM for more cooling air pumped over the engine.

Take the engine down to long block. Clean it so all the cooling fins can cool properly, and retorque all the engine case and then heads in same sequence as building an engine.
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Thanks for the bump, I used your post as an excuse to go pry off the rebuild tag. My case is a 1974-1979 non-USA 1600 50hp case. If it specs ok internally it's a good dual relief case.. "IF" it specs okay Rolling Eyes

I do have to disagree with you on the fan shroud. I believe the heat exchangers are a small part of the overall cooling system. You ever felt the heat dumps with the engine running? They put out a pretty good amount of heated air no matter if the heater flaps are off.

That and I just really want heat.

You got lucky should not have been on that engine reminding me more and more of my build except im in the b case. I found mine on the first cut good luck. you can keep it since you have an as41, I personally like the closed fan look more and less clutter under the lid. they do sell heaters you can plug into your cig lighter. besides new heater boxes cost 150 each.

Last edited by andrewvwclassic on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:34 pm; edited 6 times in total
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

33 mm wide inside or outside? Should be inside and that would make it smallest fan used on DH. VW went from there to 34 and lastly to 35 mm which cooled best.
VW also installed biggest crank pulley on DH engines since 40 HP engine came out in 1961. Larger lower pulley results in more fan RPM for more cooling air pumped over the engine.

Take the engine down to long block. Clean it so all the cooling fins can cool properly, and retorque all the engine case and then heads in same sequence as building an engine.

I've got 33mm outside edge-to-edge.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like 29 mm inside then. That was biggest used in 1600 SP non-DH engines. That will cause cooling problem with DH system.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have a non-dog-house fan in a dog-house! That photo posted of the engine is nice looking! But I would re-build what you have and get the right carb for the dual port or go with Dual IDF carbs if it's a dual port. The dog-house fan shroud and the wider fan and the wider aluminum instead of steel oil cooler (Since the fan is wrong the oil cooler may also be wrong!) are the full evolution cooling system for the Type 1 and really make a difference. Only other thing the engine needs is a Filter Oil/Pump added.
Engine photo:

Dog House cooling fan is 37mm I think they call them 36mm though! Chirco list them as 36 and 35 and 32mm fans.
Cooling Fan Width

Last edited by Danwvw on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Looks like 29 mm inside then. That was biggest used in 1600 SP non-DH engines. That will cause cooling problem with DH system.

Not if he uses the 36hp dh non heater version all that extra air will get pushed over the oil cooler instead of blowing out the heater ducts. should counter act the smaller fan and reduce the chances of blowing up the fan all together.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewvwclassic wrote:
I found mine on the first cut good luck. you can keep it since you have an as41, I personally like the closed fan look more and less clutter under the lid. they do sell heaters you can plug into your cig lighter. besides new heater boxes cost 150 each.

I like the uncluttered look too, especially considering the 1968 warm air hose stacked in.. personally hate the way that setup looks Shocked
I've just read too much on the cooling system that proves over and over how efficient and important each part of the system is(for its time), and haven't seen much that would convince me to start changing mine up.

Those plugin ceramic heaters suck!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt that, since the HE holes for Summer exhausting are pretty small.
Plus the oil cooler exhaust is much bigger so the engine/heads fins are not going to get enough cooling....
Got to remember VW kept going bigger with the fan with DH for better cooling.
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Doubt that, since the HE holes for Summer exhausting are pretty small.
Plus the oil cooler exhaust is much bigger so the engine/heads fins are not going to get enough cooling....
Got to remember VW kept going bigger with the fan with DH for better cooling.

Ya I take that back I just noticed on cip's site it requires the bigger better 35mm fan. I was deep down trying to confort myself because I have by chance that very same fan.lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: