Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving this build thread.

Here is a good place to buy similar hose:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/scat.php

It comes in four grades:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/ducting.html
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is that a GW decoupler to complete your "3 knob" modification?

Cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:

I looks like you removed the water trap.

You might want to reconsider that, or add one to it somehow.

Looking great BTW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Signalocity wrote:

Is that a GW decoupler to complete your "3 knob" modification?

Cool.

The decoupler is from AA Transaxle and was installed at the time of the rebuild.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Signalocity wrote:

I looks like you removed the water trap.

You might want to reconsider that, or add one to it somehow.

Looking great BTW

I don't know of anyone using the factory water/dust trap on the Bostig converted vans, as there is nowhere to really install one. I have considered a pre-filter set up, similar to Jed's and others. We'll see.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7086210

Thanks!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any room where that hose runs?

Maybe add a gutted MAF sensor inline on that orange duct with some type of sealed container below it. You could also get creative & add a drain hose & a liquid level sensor to turn on a light if water is detected...

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unnecessary overkill, just drill a small hole in the hose or airbox to let out any water.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the cyclone prefilter, I found in torrential rains (wipers on high don't do much), I was getting very small amounts of water droplets forming on my MAF. This was causing a loss in power and MAF readings all over the place! If you look at my thread you can see how high the intake is off the rain gutter. Another fellow in England has been having the same issue.

I'm hoping the cure for this will be the special sock that they make to prevent water from getting on oiled gauze filters.

Note there was not enough water in my filter housing to trickle out of the small hole I left at the bottom. The filter was a little wet and very little water in the convolutions in my intake pipe.

I pulled the MAF connector and drove to a gas station (I was on my way to Southern Utah), they didn't have brake cleaner so I bought starting fluid and sprayed the MAF off with that and some on the filter too in order to dry it out a little bit. Plugged it back in, cleared faults, and drove away like nothing happened.

I don't believe the same issue would happen with the stock snorkel in the D pillar. I drive a significant amount of dirt roads and like having the pre filter on there to sort out the air and it should extend my air filter life quite a bit.

And yes, 3" is doable but it's kind of miserable to snake past the fuel filler!
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Is there any room where that hose runs?

Maybe add a gutted MAF sensor inline on that orange duct with some type of sealed container below it. You could also get creative & add a drain hose & a liquid level sensor to turn on a light if water is detected...

There really is not enough room back there to be adding anything extra, as it is tricky enough just to snake the hose around the filler.

JudoJeff wrote:
Unnecessary overkill, just drill a small hole in the hose or airbox to let out any water.

Agreed, if it was an issue, i'm sure it would have made itself known by now.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K&N makes universal prefilters for most air filter sizes and shapes.
I use one in conjuction with an Apollo intake from them.
No moisture is getting by.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
With the cyclone prefilter, I found in torrential rains (wipers on high don't do much), I was getting very small amounts of water droplets forming on my MAF. This was causing a loss in power and MAF readings all over the place! If you look at my thread you can see how high the intake is off the rain gutter. Another fellow in England has been having the same issue.

I'm hoping the cure for this will be the special sock that they make to prevent water from getting on oiled gauze filters.

Note there was not enough water in my filter housing to trickle out of the small hole I left at the bottom. The filter was a little wet and very little water in the convolutions in my intake pipe.

I pulled the MAF connector and drove to a gas station (I was on my way to Southern Utah), they didn't have brake cleaner so I bought starting fluid and sprayed the MAF off with that and some on the filter too in order to dry it out a little bit. Plugged it back in, cleared faults, and drove away like nothing happened.

I don't believe the same issue would happen with the stock snorkel in the D pillar. I drive a significant amount of dirt roads and like having the pre filter on there to sort out the air and it should extend my air filter life quite a bit.

And yes, 3" is doable but it's kind of miserable to snake past the fuel filler!

Thanks for chiming in on this, as I was curious to hear some first hand feedback. I could see it being beneficial for a lot of high dust environment driving, but I don't think I really qualify for needing one.

On the 3 inch hose, I had help pulling it from the top, while inching it around the filler pipe ... but yeah, it still sucked to do lol.
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the hard lines meeting the flex lines through the bracket on my G60 setup.
I believe the bracket piece in use is either from the G60s or the stock brakes, I seem to think it's from the stock brakes, and I recall having to bend it a bit.
Anyway, they've been like this for many miles, no problems. This is how I planned to do it again when I was planning to run G60s on my project syncro. That plan sadly has to change now, but i'm sure i'll figure out something similar to keep the lines properly secured.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phishman068 wrote:
Here are some pics of the hard lines meeting the flex lines through the bracket on my G60 setup.
I believe the bracket piece in use is either from the G60s or the stock brakes, I seem to think it's from the stock brakes, and I recall having to bend it a bit.
Anyway, they've been like this for many miles, no problems. This is how I planned to do it again when I was planning to run G60s on my project syncro. That plan sadly has to change now, but i'm sure i'll figure out something similar to keep the lines properly secured.

Hey, thanks for posting the follow up on this! It looks like the factory bracket (which I think I still have), with the caliper slide bolt holding it on? I had thought about that, but was leery of utilizing the slide bolt in that way. Not saying there is anything wrong with it, I was just cautious to go that route. It will give me some food for thought. Thanks again!
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my poor eyes from that dirty nasty picture Shocked especially after all the bling and pristine nubility on this thread so far! Very Happy
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when it came time to install the muffler, I quickly noticed that the spacing on the clamps was not quite right. They were landing right on the beads of the can, with no room to adjust them farther inboard. I stared at it a bit perplexed for a bit, before pulling it back down. In looking at the bracket that Bostig provides, mounted in the engine compartment, it had 4 slots milled to allow adjustment. One bolt on either mount was dead center with plenty of adjustment; the second bolts however, were as far as they would go in their respective slots … if that makes sense. So I removed the bracket and took it to my local machinist, and had him mill the four slots into two long ones. This allowed for a much greater range of adjustment, which would be beneficial for other muffler options in the future as well. I fired off an E-mail to Bostig, just to let them know my experience. It was a simple fix for me, so I didn’t ask them to address this issue. I did notice that the design changed later to a similar arrangement, so I guess along with myself, others had the same conundrum with the early bracket design. Ultimately, it is all just part of the process. The leading edge of the frame rail with new rubber mounts, was beginning to look a bit Swiss cheesy. While I had the mounting bracket out being machined, I made a simple reinforcement out of some flat stock, which cleaned things up a bit. I also plopped on the power steering hoses at this point. I wasn’t crazy about this part of the conversion, to be honest. I am sure it fine functionally, but I would like it to be cleaner install. I plan to come back and address this a bit later.

luckystu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this thread. I think for all of us that like to tinker with our buses you are achieving what we each might think about when lying under them, even if we have no intention or means to do it, the thought has arisen. So in a way we are all living vicariously through you. Yes, in a way then ... we are you. All of us..Ha ha ha ha ha (insert evil a laugh #6). I cant wait to drive it. Shocked
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystu wrote:
Love this thread. I think for all of us that like to tinker with our buses you are achieving what we each might think about when lying under them, even if we have no intention or means to do it, the thought has arisen. So in a way we are all living vicariously through you. Yes, in a way then ... we are you. All of us..Ha ha ha ha ha (insert evil a laugh #6). I cant wait to drive it. Shocked

I appreciate it, and if there is one thing I love, it's potential.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your level of quality in the details is amazing. I love seeing each new post on this thread, as I'm sure many others do too.

I'll join you for some northeast syncroing once your done if you like.

Andrew-
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Jet Coat Exclamation
I have been experimenting with a few different mufflers with the Bostig conversion.
Non leap out as better or worse thus far.
The Jet coating should really help the muffler last.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Your level of quality in the details is amazing. I love seeing each new post on this thread, as I'm sure many others do too.

I'll join you for some northeast syncroing once your done if you like.

Andrew-

Thanks for saying so and looking forward to some trail riding for sure!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 33

Jump to: