Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Project 1978 914 Porsche Barn Find for Me
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEZERTDUCK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: New Project 1978 914 Porsche Barn Find for Me Reply with quote

first of I am new to the samba so hello everyone, I got this "barn find", its a 1978 914 Porsche, i've wanted one of these since I took my first auto shop class in 1994 in high school my Junior year. This little guy needs some work but it actually fired right up, first thing I can visually see right away is it needs the actual muffler, and I might actually be able to simply start driving it on the road. Looked on the samba classifieds for one but could not find one, so the hunt begins, if anyone has any leads please let me know. Also please let me know what you guys think about this little guy, I bought it for $800 and am in it another $800 on DMV Fee's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DEZERTDUCK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now im all screwed up because I don't think this is a 1978, how can I find out what year this car is, their is no paperwork on the car, im only going by what the previous owner said and the lady at DMV wrote it up as a 1978....how true can that be?
DEZERTDUCK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so after researching online on the samba, 914world.com, Pelican Parts and stuttcars.com here is what I found out about this chassis and motor....this is a 1973 914-4 car, it was the 16,611 car built in 1973 out of Karmann in Osnabruck, I cant specifically identify the year of the motor but the case number starts with a CV so I think I have 1.7....not the 2.0
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup as you discovered - 1976 was last year for 914. In addition to exhaust - you should replace the tires and all rubber bits (brake lines, fuel injection hoses, and fan belt). There are lots of exhaust available. The OEM one was a heavy log-like muffler (Dansk makes a copy of it). There are many after market ones - Sebring/Thunderbird, Bursch, Anza/Monza/Manta.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do anything until you have the title sorted out. Until you have good paperwork in YOUR name, you don't actually own the car!
kerrvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEZERTDUCK wrote:
the case number starts with a CV so I think I have 1.7....not the 2.0

The CV engine is a 2.0, but it was used in late bay window buses and early Vanagons. A US spec 914 2.0 would have either a GA or GC prefix. The cases and cranks are the same in all of these. The Porsche spec motors have different cams, rods, pistons and heads.

Hard to say exactly what you have without tearing the engine down. Somebody may have slapped a bus engine in there. Or maybe they built a GA/GC spec motor using a CV case and crank.

Some fun eh?
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you get the paperwork sorted out, you may want to look at Jake's Raby's web sight and post about 914's hes has a race winning 914 and a lot of good post and parts for them :0)

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: