Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dellorto drla 36 on 1600 am I crazy?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: dellorto drla 36 on 1600 am I crazy? Reply with quote

Ok yes Im crazy but I just bought a set of dellorto carbs. drla 36. seller says they came off a 1600. So Im hoping they actually did and I wont have to buy tons of shit to get them to work. Wont know till they get here, as to whats in them. For starters whats the ball park venture size supposed to be? I cant imagine a large one like a 40. 32 maybe? I know theres no one size jet and venturi fits all but would like some help on determining if I even should bolt the carbs on by checking the various jets/venturis to see if its set up for a stock mild stock or just stinkin huge engine. My svda from air cooled.net should still work as its for dual carbs.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

36 dual dells are imo a perfect upgrade for stock to mild 1914s. Its going to run great. Std vents for 40s are 34s, std for 36s are 30. Messing with jet and vemt configuration is always a concern when tuning duals. 28s or 30 sized vents can be made to work on a small stock engine just fine. Id start with 52/120-125m/200 air with 9164.2 emulsions. Your going to motice quite a bit of increase in power.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 36 IDF's on a 1600, was lovely!
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my old 1600 with 36 DRLA's running 0-75 mph. Had 1.25 rockers, bugpack header/hideaway, and a 009.

Link

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently run a set of 36's on my 1641cc. I ran them for years on a 1600. They are great carbs. Especially after A.C.E. gets through with them Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
maplesyrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thumbs up for 36's on a 1600 they'll run great if correctly setup and with a good exhaust Smile
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh snap so I did something right Laughing Ok heres the engine specs complete:1600 in a 1964 bus with 40,000 on the engine and 10,000 on the pistons and cylinders and (041 heads) Crying or Very sad carbs on there now are the 35mm solexes, svda from aircooled.net hoping to be able to still use dizzy on these carbs since it does have vacuum canister, cb maxi 2 oil pump and remote filter, compressions around 120ish with all valves at 006 and around 140 with intake valves at 10 thousandths. as stated in another thread valve overlap I guess but not sure which way to adjust it now. To me 120s kinda low. Ceramic header and muffler from aircooled.net
I do have a wideband installed already so tuning will be easier, although tuning in general is like trying to read Russian. Laughing
Heres the link to them. Hopefully I didn't miss something not so good about them. Paid 700 for them. Rolling Eyes I didn't know drla 36's were in the classifieds, I just saw these on ebay and figured Id better jump on it. Feel free to notice anything not so good on them like, are those plastic linkage arms and plastic air filter holder??? Still wondering about that. Noticed after I bought them.
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx...p;format=0
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maplesyrup wrote:
Another thumbs up for 36's on a 1600 they'll run great if correctly setup and with a good exhaust Smile

I have seen mention of this ace while reading drla threads. Not sure if I have to send them in for rebuild or not. I forget where ace is or works. Awesome video. Did your gasmileage increase or decrease, maybe your right foot suddenly got lead poisoning and became heavier after carb install? Noted the gas guage showing empty Laughing
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
maplesyrup wrote:

I have seen mention of this ace while reading drla threads. Not sure if I have to send them in for rebuild or not. I forget where ace is or works. Awesome video. Did your gasmileage increase or decrease, maybe your right foot suddenly got lead poisoning and became heavier after carb install? Noted the gas guage showing empty Laughing

ACE is in Murray Utah
Here's a link to their website. Www.ace-vw.com

Mike Gerson

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACE is no longer around (the company that is, Art still is alive and kicking).

Blackline Racing is the name of the company now-they still do full service carb rebuilding...

http://www.blacklineracing.net/
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question: I have 2 snails made for the solex dual carbs I have on the bus now. Do I need to purchase the snails made for the dellortos and if I do, how many of them does one normally have? I have 2 now for the solexes. Having 2 of them made synchronizing much easier. Now I will have basically a 4 barrel carb, 2 barrels on one side and 2 on the other. Does anyone buy 4 sync snails or does everyone just stick with one or 2 snails?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

36 DRLAs are great. You can re-use the snail gauges you have on the new carbs.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:

ACE is in Murray Utah
Here's a link to their website. Www.ace-vw.com

Wow!!
According to my erroneous information ACE is now located in Birmingham United Kingdom. Shocked
I guess I should really look closer at my Google searches Embarassed
Anyhow, I'm glad Art is still around. He really did a great job on my Dells!
Thanks for setting me straight 74 Thing.

Mike Gerson

quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only wondered about the snails because of the larger rubber mouth than the snails typicially used on the weber/dellorto carbs. I wasn't sure the larger rubber mouth would fit the stacks on these carbs. Snails used look to have a more conicial taper to the rubber piece. Cool though I can still use the snails I have.
Only issue now is the rate my carbs are moving through ups from California. It would appear they are moving at a SNAILS pace Laughing
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the offset manifolds better than the ones coming in my carb box? Mine appear by the pictures to be non offset. Noticed offset on aircooled.net Ive seen these carbs mounted while keeping the stock fan shroud, but I cant tell from pictures if that's how they were able to use the stock fan shroud. Would guess off set manifolds are better for clearance issues. If I do need offset manifolds I will order the whole kit but not sure who even sells a linkage and manifold kit that will fit dellorto 36 drla's. Most list fit starting from a 40 drla.
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably got the nice set I was looking at too, it had EMPI manifolds. Try it as-is, go from there. It looked perfect, I just couldn't swing the price plus tax and shipping.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably so it said 699 buy it now or make offer.......make offers usually a big ass waist of time Laughing Im just trying to get all I need before the weekend to throw them on. Its a whole new learning curve for me with the true dual carbs. Hoping all the adjustments will face outward and are easy to get at.
Yeah I almost passed them up too, but the I wanna have the big boys league style dual carbs virus finally took over. Not sure what Im going to do with the solexes on there now (solexes run ok now) but at least I can tune the shit out of the dellortos now. I can actually pull out my main stacks like john and others said!....couldn't pull out shit with the solexes.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a German shroud there are only a select few manifolds that will clear the heater arms. The offset manifolds are one of these.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well crap, the carbs will arrive today and I wont be able to install them. Thanks for the answer. Unless I can score a different fan shroud, Im stuck for the weekend. wish I had known this earlier and I would have ordered offset manifolds
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like mine! Installed an electric fuel pump for them and made a special fuel safety shutdown circuit that shuts off the electric fuel pump if the Alternator light comes on. I am running the offset Manifolds. Some Photos:
Circuit,
Pump,
Offset Manifolds with Vacuum 3/8" pipe brass fitting for 1971 Bus Disc Brakes shown,
Linkage installed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: