Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dellorto drla 36 on 1600 am I crazy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
so I floored it.

There is no better sound than the Dell whistle at full throttle. That coupled with a good exhaust note is like a church quire.

Good thread. Pretty informative. We have two sets of Dells at our shop. One set on a 1600 that runs like a singer. Unreal! The other on a fresh 1776 we will be tuning as soon as the jets get here from Italy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sound's like it's just the Idle jet still clogged on the #3 cylinder, When I cleaned mine there did not seem to be anything in the jets they seemed clear but after spraying them with the carb cleaner, you know through that straw that comes taped to the side of the can and I would stick that straw down the idle jet hole in the carb too and give it a shot. Anyhow it came back to life. When it's idling right it will also cut out on each cylinder if you screw in the idle mix for that cylinder. (Just another way to see if the idle passages are clear!)

I just noticed my 36mm Dellortos have something going on I don't understand! It's taken a few thousand miles for me to notice it but my #1,#2 side is spraying down my engine compartment with oil. The filter has turned black! Not sure what is causing it. Could it be that that side is working harder than the other or something is wrong with a valve?
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well while getting things all worked out I decided to make my adjustable down rods on the linkage equal side to side. Now it doesn't have half the power. go figure I just had to mess with it. Put both snails on carbs to re sync it, hoping it was way off and no go. pretty close. However I don't know just how close the linkage has to be before power takes a nose dive to hell. Next time it runs that good the do not touch it again light will come on. I guess linkage has to be perfectly spot on.

Last edited by quartermilecamel on Tue May 27, 2014 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Engine off: What I do is, with one side linkage nuts loose so it can be adjusted, I back off the throttle stops all the way and adjust the linkage until it's it's floating free with with both carbs bottomed out, butterflies closed! Then I add a couple of turns to each throttle stop, whatever it takes to get the Idle about right making sure I adjust them exactly the same amount side to side. Then I run the engine and fine tune the balance. When I did this yesterday the linkage was within 1/4" of a turn of being balanced just off idle.
One thought for yours would be: If it is still not idling on one cylinder perhaps it runs better with the balance set a little lop sided. Not a desirable situation, need to get it so it responds to each idle mix screw.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the mixture screws are about the same turns out. as in not much. about a turn. Floats seem to be adjusted where the fuel just covers the step in the float bows. I don't seem to be able to find my millimeter ruler to measure the mm's yet so might have to use modocs method. Didn't seem to have any one float way off from the other. I do agree I must have had the sorta off sync done up right to make it run good. havnt been able to pin point the reason for the odd ball low cylinder temps other than switching carbs but I didn't run it down the road with the carbs backwards.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonna try to adjust valves again to specs.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adjusted valves to 006 using the 006 go and 007 no go. Im sure compression dropped, not sure I wanna look and test it Laughing I tried the infared on exhaust and got all different readings on all 4 flange pipes. Don't remember what they were. will have to test with it up on ramps. Makes me wonder what #4 is doing.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While adjusting the valves, It's pretty easy to get a rough feel of what the compression on a engine is just by turning it over by hand. I use a wrench on the Gen/Alt pulley but technically it should be done with a long wrench directly to the crank. A leak in a cylinder head can be heard, A leak in an intake or exhaust valve can be heard thru the carb or exhaust. Compression can be felt and any difference between the cylinders too.
Found my fan belt up-side down the other day and shredded belt material making a mess out of one of the Dellortos and the loose belt was making the engine run hot. But when changing the belt it was nice to see how much better the compression on all of the cylinders is compared to how it felt just a couple of thousand miles before on this new engine.

Just clean out that Idle passage it should be there.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like TheEZGZ has a new Video on his 36mm Dells, He would probably chat with you on U-Tube and be able to give some pointers. Not sure if he is on the samba or not anymore don't see any new post from him. TheEZGZ New video on U-Tube.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup watched that one. Will watch it again. Bout time to post up a video of what its doing. Blows my mind that #3 doesn't even reach 300 degrees......EVER, even floored. Slower response time too. With solexes the idle temps of 1 and 3 were dead equal(300ish warmed idle) and heavy load, #1 was just over 420 while #3 was 380 ish. Oil temp doesn't get over 200. Actually oil seemed to be not as high. With solexes the oil would reach 220 if pushed. Also still pops out carb once in a while at low to off idle maybe once on take off sometimes. Or, have noticed some exhaust popping too. So many things to check or think about makes me chase my tail. Laughing
At least the valve setting to specs didn't make it run much different or the dredded worse.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found my offset manifolds. Not sure if I have 2 of one side or if each manifold fits left or right. Figured I would throw these on. Anyone know if these are good, bad, indifferent. I have no clue what the mb stands for. Milton Bradley?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are straight manifolds not offset
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I thought these were offset. Ok I figured offset manifolds would reduce the angle of the heim joint at the carbs. I guess everybody just runs with the bottom heim joint not straight(rods angling twards carbs as they get closer to the carb flange
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seem everyone forgets the extensions when using straight manifolds.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3396

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3395
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I didn't forget those extensions but if offset manifolds will eliminate those then I will switch to offsets.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I didn't forget those extensions but if offset manifolds will eliminate those then I will switch to offsets.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use them on offset manifolds to get the angle of the rods correct
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been looking at aircooled.nets different manifolds. Not sure how many different types and what they do as far as offsets go. Lookin in the classifieds and elsewhere. I cant tell whats offset and whats not
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took off my homemade extensions and made an angle adapter elbow. So now the bottom heim joints are straight, using no extensions. Will see how it works.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB-Performance Offset Manifolds. Mine,
Offsets appear Identical Here!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: