Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 2014 Classic - Costa Mesa, CA - June 21, 2014
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aka pip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
TMI Products wrote:
We just attended the Mustang 50th Show in Vegas. You haven't experienced a "cluster F of a show" yet. For a $10,000 investment, the vendor area was a 25 minute walk from the show car area. it was a 4 day event with 3 days being dead, where people paid $100-150 to show their car, if you wanted a goody bag, cough up another $50 and HOPE you got everything(because not everybody did). You want the Banquet dinner, cough up $75 per person for a finger foods and a bag of chips.

This show was not even close to being bad. Rolling Eyes

Maybe the Ford people didnt have a template. BOR did! It was called THE CLASSIC, besides you cant compare apples to oranges.

Maybe it's me, but I like organization, I am not cheap, I don't complaint about prices. When you have witnessed a show grow big, and you see its demise, there's where my complaint starts.

Maybe I am getting old, I will start swinging my cane at you crazy unorganized younglings! Twisted Evil

Very Happy I am old, and I totally agree with you. BOR started dropping the ball on this show since day one when they "took over" The Classic. For them it's been about how much money they could make off it; not how good of a show they could make it. I'm sure Kimball made money on this show over the years, but you NEVER felt like you were being ripped off like you do now. I can see next year having a real issue with who gets the date. Given a choice between Prado and the current cluster f--K at the fairgrounds, I'm going to the "new" Classic and I'm certain I won't be alone.

Bob, Please explain to all of us, what you mean by "Took Over"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean1 wrote:
53 0val wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
TMI Products wrote:
We just attended the Mustang 50th Show in Vegas. You haven't experienced a "cluster F of a show" yet. For a $10,000 investment, the vendor area was a 25 minute walk from the show car area. it was a 4 day event with 3 days being dead, where people paid $100-150 to show their car, if you wanted a goody bag, cough up another $50 and HOPE you got everything(because not everybody did). You want the Banquet dinner, cough up $75 per person for a finger foods and a bag of chips.

This show was not even close to being bad. Rolling Eyes

Maybe the Ford people didnt have a template. BOR did! It was called THE CLASSIC, besides you cant compare apples to oranges.

Maybe it's me, but I like organization, I am not cheap, I don't complaint about prices. When you have witnessed a show grow big, and you see its demise, there's where my complaint starts.

Maybe I am getting old, I will start swinging my cane at you crazy unorganized younglings! Twisted Evil

Very Happy I am old, and I totally agree with you. BOR started dropping the ball on this show since day one when they "took over" The Classic. For them it's been about how much money they could make off it; not how good of a show they could make it. I'm sure Kimball made money on this show over the years, but you NEVER felt like you were being ripped off like you do now. I can see next year having a real issue with who gets the date. Given a choice between Prado and the current cluster f--K at the fairgrounds, I'm going to the "new" Classic and I'm certain I won't be alone.

Bob, Please explain to all of us, what you mean by "Took Over"?

Bought out, purchased, organized................You know exactly what I mean Dean.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having attended any of the shows and reading the comments I am gonna give it a year or so again before attending.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its true that most of us who live in S. Cal dont know how good we have it as far as parts availability, swaps, shows and good restorable vehicles. Moving to a state with NOTHING for shows and only 2 parts houses to choose from really puts things into perspective. One thing Ive noticed was the "we are the only thing in town" attitude that many of the old shops and promoters have. Look at HVWs magazine, same shit year after year weak tech, useless show coverage, unreliable delivery, OC attitude, fear of upsetting the "players" and not to mention most of the rag is advertisements. Ive seen shops with this attitude close their doors in the last 10 years and I see the same happening with elitist promoters in the not to distant future. You can tell who organizes for the love of the car and who puts on a show to make money. When there is no more money to squeeze from the community they are the first to pull anchor.

As mentioned the Vegas BOR/BRS BS was the beginning of the end for BOR. It has nothing to do with hate it just shows that BOR thinks that the west coast show world revolves around them. The fact is enthusiasts will continue to drive their cars, get together and have a good time even if there are no big shows being put together. When a show is no longer a good time they will stop attending. When its fun no one will complain about lines, fees, judging, or unorganized events. The classic will be gone one day and those of us who remember the "fun days" will reminisce about the $1K oval rags, $2K buses and the super cheap NOS parts that help complete their rides. Maybe in a few years when gas is $20 a gallon we will wish that the "$25 entry fee" show would return.

Im really wondering what the Euro contingent thought about the last few years of BOR events. They are paying big bucks to come over here compared to locals, do any of you feel you are getting your moneys worth?
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not make the trip this year due to the split. Any show no matter how big or small takes a lot of work to put on and is overlooked by most people attending. I think the only question to be asked at this point is 'do you have a location booked in stone next year with Octo on Saturday?' If so, you will see us and our parts there. Roll Slow Cow!
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugorama Promotions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would like to thank everyone who attended The Pierside Parts Unlimited Classic 2014!!!

Below is a list of the award winners for the car show. If you did not receive your award you can call us and we will ship it to you. You will just be charged for the shipping costs.

See you at the Bugorama August 31st in Sacramento!

Coolest Split Bug - 481 Brad Thomson N/A CA 1951 Bug Black

Coolest Oval Bug - 60 Mark & Zoe Erkelens Lancaster CA 1956 Beetle Green

Coolest '58-'64 Bug - 87 Lee Huntington Beach CA 1959 Rag Black

Coolest '65-'67 Bug - 234 Harry Lige North Las Vegas NV 1966 Bug Silver/Yellow

Coolest '68-'79 Bug - 385 Clarence Love Victorville CA 1971 Super Beetle Polar Silver

Coolest Pre '67 Bus - 106 Matt Abrams Huntington Beach CA 1966 SO44 Dormobile Green/White

Coolest '68-'79 Bus - 134 Steve Lenton Norwalk CA 1972 Bug Yellow

Coolest Karmann Ghia - 336 Jeff Funkhouser RSM CA 1973 Ghia Rag Top Orange

Coolest Type III - 461 Dawn Santos Las Vegas CA 1967 Squareback Grey

Coolest Bug Vert - 372 Eliot Vancil Midlothian TX 1962 Type I Vert Green

Coolest Ghia Vert - 35 Marcel Galima Lakewood CA 1963 Convertible Ghia Strato Silver

Coolest Thing - 309 Phil Etnyre Huntington Beach CA 1974 Thing Green

Coolest Single Cab/Double Cab - 316 Scott Chadwick Oak Hills CA 1966 Double Cab Tan

Coolest Camper - 394 Steve & Carla Marvin Murrieta CA 1967 Westfalia Velvet Green

Coolest Dune Buggy - 324 H.R. Klumpp Westminster CA 1964 #49 Race Car Alum Green

Coolest Rabbit - 459 Robert Knerr Indio CA 1982 Rabbit Pickup Red

Coolest Golf - 322 Webb Starr Beaumont CA 1990 GTI Sport Classic Grey

Coolest New Beetle - 235 Birgit Lige North Las Vegas NV 2000 New Beetle Yellow

Outstanding Engine Air Cooled - 372 Eliot Vancil Midlothian TX 1962 Type 1 Vert Green

Outstanding Engine Water Cooled - 235 Birgit Lige North Las Vegas NV 2000 New Beetle Yellow

Coolest Vanagon - 391 Richard Kanner Santa Ana CA 1985 Westfalia White

Best Cal Looker 282 Mike & Tanya Olafson Buckeye AZ 1955 Beetle Iceland Green

Coolest Type III Ghia - 184 Kevin Enos Hesperia CA 1964 Type 34 Ghia Pearl White/Black Top

Best Stock Split Bug - 433 West Leffingwell Encinitas CA 1951 DLX Sedan Black

Best Stock Oval Bug 179 Gary Bell Irvine CA 1957 Beetle Agave Green

Best Stock '58-'64 Bug - 66 John Jaurigue Garden Grove CA 1963 Beetle Black

Best Stock '65-'67 Bug - 141 Mike Buettell Newport Beach CA 1967 Beetle Lotus White

Best Stock '68-'79 Bug - 59 Wendee Bruner Cypress CA 1977 Super Beetle Conv White

Best Stock Pre '67 Bus - 76 David Nevarez Phelan CA 1963 23 Window Turkis

Best Stock '68-'79 Bus - 392 Orrind Sherry Anderson Riverside CA 1970 Westy Pearl White

Best Stock Karmann Ghia - 244 Jaime Flores Bellflower CA 1968 Ghia Black

Best Stock Type III - 64 Kelly Whitteman Menitee CA 1966 Squareback Light Blue

Best Stock Bug Vert - 293 Kyle Campbell Saint Paula CA 1966 Bug Vert Blue

Best Stock Ghia Vert - 169 Jose Gamarra Covina CA 1963 Ghia Black

Best Stock Thing - 269 Tim Sample Costa Mesa CA 1974 Thing Yellow

Best Stock Single Cab/Double Cab - 416 Jim Liberty Costa Mesa CA 1963 Type II Dual Cab Black/Red

Coolest Off Road 289 Blade Gillissen Huntington Beach CA 1965 Bug Blue

Coolest Volksrod - 365 Trouble Gardena CA ? Rat Rod Black/Checkers

Best Special Construction - 466 Fibersteel Azusa CA 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder Silver

Best Use of Color - 192 Jeff Goldman Antelope CA 1969 Dune Buggy Blue

Best Patina - 283 Harvey Whalen La Habra CA 1960 Bug Patina

Most Original Car - 201 Nancy Kyllingstad Cypress CA 1962 Bug Tourquoise

Best Interior - 371 Jarrett Lemley Q. Creek AZ 1964 Notchback Green

Host Club Choice - 90 Aileen & Marty Wells Scottsdale CA 1981 Brasilia Tropicana Blue

Promoters Choice Air Cooled - 440 Jim Benile San Diego CA 1956 Bug Black
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Its true that most of us who live in S. Cal dont know how good we have it as far as parts availability, swaps, shows and good restorable vehicles. Moving to a state with NOTHING for shows and only 2 parts houses to choose from really puts things into perspective. One thing Ive noticed was the "we are the only thing in town" attitude that many of the old shops and promoters have. Look at HVWs magazine, same shit year after year weak tech, useless show coverage, unreliable delivery, OC attitude, fear of upsetting the "players" and not to mention most of the rag is advertisements. Ive seen shops with this attitude close their doors in the last 10 years and I see the same happening with elitist promoters in the not to distant future. You can tell who organizes for the love of the car and who puts on a show to make money. When there is no more money to squeeze from the community they are the first to pull anchor.

As mentioned the Vegas BOR/BRS BS was the beginning of the end for BOR. It has nothing to do with hate it just shows that BOR thinks that the west coast show world revolves around them. The fact is enthusiasts will continue to drive their cars, get together and have a good time even if there are no big shows being put together. When a show is no longer a good time they will stop attending. When its fun no one will complain about lines, fees, judging, or unorganized events. The classic will be gone one day and those of us who remember the "fun days" will reminisce about the $1K oval rags, $2K buses and the super cheap NOS parts that help complete their rides. Maybe in a few years when gas is $20 a gallon we will wish that the "$25 entry fee" show would return.

Im really wondering what the Euro contingent thought about the last few years of BOR events. They are paying big bucks to come over here compared to locals, do any of you feel you are getting your moneys worth?

I can only comment on what I know, as I've met all the guys that write for Hot VWs and have never encountered any "attitude" in the slightest in the many conversations I've had with them.
As for all the advertisements, that's what funds the publication. That's the reality of magazines and I know somebody will pipe up inevitably with some example of a magazine that doesn't rely on advertising revenue to survive, but those are mighty limited success stories.
As for the repetition of the content, guess what, that's the VW world in a nutshell. It's the same thing over and over and over again, regardless of how many people complain the photos aren't artsy-fartsy enough or the coverage lacking whatever particular angle people are seeking.
I've flipped through the high-end (comparatively speaking) Euro publications like the $20 per issue Airheads or whatever it's called.
It's a beautiful product, but I can't justify spending that kind of coin on a magazine.
It's a publication for the hardest of the hard-core VW guys, I'd wager, but for me I could give two shits if a rusty patina car is photographed in a fancy studio or not.
VWs and artsy-fartsy "vision" are a complete pardox, IMO. Trying to take what is essentially a clown car and dressing it up with Ansel Adams techniques is just funny to me. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
AlteWagen wrote:

I can only comment on what I know, as I've met all the guys that write for Hot VWs and have never encountered any "attitude" in the slightest in the many conversations I've had with them.
As for all the advertisements, that's what funds the publication. That's the reality of magazines and I know somebody will pipe up inevitably with some example of a magazine that doesn't rely on advertising revenue to survive, but those are mighty limited success stories.
As for the repetition of the content, guess what, that's the VW world in a nutshell. It's the same thing over and over and over again, regardless of how many people complain the photos aren't artsy-fartsy enough or the coverage lacking whatever particular angle people are seeking.
I've flipped through the high-end (comparatively speaking) Euro publications like the $20 per issue Airheads or whatever it's called.
It's a beautiful product, but I can't justify spending that kind of coin on a magazine.
It's a publication for the hardest of the hard-core VW guys, I'd wager, but for me I could give two shits if a rusty patina car is photographed in a fancy studio or not.
VWs and artsy-fartsy "vision" are a complete pardox, IMO. Trying to take what is essentially a clown car and dressing it up with Ansel Adams techniques is just funny to me. Laughing

Hot VW's and Bugorama are kindred spirits of sorts................they have the same job to do essentially, and that's to promote VW's and attract sponsors to their product. I don't see any issue with how they (Hot VW's) are doing it. Hot VW's has always been fair on their reporting of events IMO, and I would expect nothing less on their view of this show. BTW, they had excellent coverage of the events around the Prado show.

http://www.hotvws.com/digital-magazine/SoCalVWEventWeek/
aka pip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
/

Bob,
Don't u ever get tired of deep throating kimball aka hotdog Fred's kielbasa!

Try the classic next yr, I'll buy ya a turkey leg!
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aka pip wrote:
53 0val wrote:
/

Bob,

Very Happy I just want to get invited over to your place next year.
aka pip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
aka pip wrote:
53 0val wrote:
/

Bob,

Very Happy I just want to get invited over to your place next year.

There isn't anything that would interest u.. All my shit has broke axles that make the car drag the ground and bigass loud engines!!
Wink

But on the real...
Their is a lot of guys in the hobby that spend countless hrs,$$$ build cars for yrs on end, that like a stage like the fairground,classic to reveal them. If bugorama is welling to dig deep in their pockets too foot the bill for a setting like the fairgrounds. Why not do what we can help them get it figured out.

I'm sure Prato is a cool show, but to me it's just another familien feast or OEbc picnic... I like variety !
pancho villa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: classic Reply with quote

shut up you bitches and show me pictures of the greatest VW show on earth
Daskombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally,I thought it was a great show,truly the biggest Vw show of the year,with a parking issue,and that being said,partially not bug o rama promotions fault,meaning they did have 2 or 3 car clubs who were supposed to park the car show,and in return they were allowed to come in the day before and pick the spots they wanted for their clubs,obviously the nicest spots in the place,problem is none of them showed up until the gates had been open for almost 2 hours,thus creating the kaos with the parking,so I blame them...

Other than that issue,great show
aka pip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: classic Reply with quote

pancho villa wrote:
shut up you bitches and show me pictures of the greatest VW show on earth

Who the Fuck u callIn Bitch?

Bet you're employer is happy u painted your shitbox to match you're work vehicle ... "Garbage Truck Green"
54ovsemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never attended any of "the classic shows". I was hoping to make the road trip to SOCAL this year and even had booked my room at the host hotel. Once I started doing some research (which was somewhat of a challenge) I decided to cancel my reservations. It seemed almost impossible to get accurate information here on thesamba or anywhere else for that matter regarding dates, venue, cruise nights, gatherings etc.....I finally got some news from a friend who lives accross the street from a fomer DKP member and even he was receiving conflicting information.

Even though my 1955 would not have been ready to make its maiden voyage to the West Coast, I would of loved to experience the classic!! I was planning on bringing the wife with me and making it our summer vacation. I'm not going to let the negative comments change my plans for next year!! I will make it to next years show (with the wife and our 55 Oval) the only advice I can give is please provide better information/details for those of us traveling long distances.

Looking forward to next years classic.....Dennis Cool
1955 Semaphore Oval
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

54ovsemi wrote:
I have never attended any of "the classic shows". I was hoping to make the road trip to SOCAL this year and even had booked my room at the host hotel. Once I started doing some research (which was somewhat of a challenge) I decided to cancel my reservations. It seemed almost impossible to get accurate information here on thesamba or anywhere else for that matter regarding dates, venue, cruise nights, gatherings etc.....I finally got some news from a friend who lives accross the street from a fomer DKP member and even he was receiving conflicting information.

Even though my 1955 would not have been ready to make its maiden voyage to the West Coast, I would of loved to experience the classic!! I was planning on bringing the wife with me and making it our summer vacation. I'm not going to let the negative comments change my plans for next year!! I will make it to next years show (with the wife and our 55 Oval) the only advice I can give is please provide better information/details for those of us traveling long distances.

the samba /show listing wasnt good enough for info ? Come on down next year Im sure itll be better than this year !
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

54ovsemi wrote:

I personally think this year's schedule/plans were sort of messed up for people who needed a normal lead time to plan vacations, driving, etc.

I am sure next year will be better as past years have always been set wayyy beforehand.

There will be info here or keep an eye on their site at http://www.bugorama.com
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chizucc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a page with nice pictures from the Classic. It's on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.717853041613789.1073741864.446649328734163&type=1

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
I always get a kick out of people BITCHING about an event. Try to put on your own show. We do Buses by the Bridge for 18 years now, same venue for the last 10 years and we still have issues...

...People are just spoiled by OCTO, but Most shows I go to have the same long lines and waits.

I have said for years that every show promoter should be required to go through their own line, and they should be required to go through OCTO's line. these people (promoters) generally have no concept of the experience their customers get. not every show can do it as good as OCTO, but most could take a lesson and make it better for everyone.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: