Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lazy Mary
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dowha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ask anyone who knows me... I've said for years, "If mom likes your baja or offroad car, then spending $$$ is not a hard sell" Wink

You guys need to take a trip to the middle of the state and check out the best trails..

I'm sure there is a "few" guys that would be happy to show you around... Very Happy

Glad you got it running right... Lookn' Good Applause
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments. When I was younger and had dirt bikes i spent a lot of time around Hesperia, Baldwin, and all the way up to Cadillac. If that's the areas you mean, yes that is my targets. It would be nice to find some company because I hate breaking down alone in the booneys alone. I hate walking. Confused
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
BUGGUTZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy We are St Helen, Roscommon, Grayling, Luzurene area also Rose City, M10.

Last edited by BUGGUTZ on Sat May 31, 2014 4:35 am; edited 3 times in total
BUGGUTZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on up! We have been getting invaded every weekend. It would be nice to get beyond walking distance of my house lol!

dowha, you really bummed me out with that voicemail, I will be calling soon. Say hello to the Mrs.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to being a little overworked lately I had a lazy weekend but managed to clean up the big hole in my dashboard. Someone had butchered the radio area and just screwed an aluminum plate over it. I did the same but put some effort into it. I cut a square hole into the foam and then spread black RTV over the exposed foam to keep it from deteriorating any further and so that it looked like rubber. Then I cut a new faceplate and used the Rustoleum truck bed coating. This stuff has been so handy and really matches well with my dash. I fit the new Mechless radio in even though nothing has been hooked up yet and I haven't made a spot for the 6X9's in the back. Looks nice I think.
before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

after

ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tonights' the night.
I'm going to pull the engine and take the cylinders apart and most likely install the new 1835 jugs and pistons I picked up.

The crankcase has so much positive pressure that a steady stream of fumes exits the vent hose off the oil filler and I use quite a bit of oil in the process. I was hoping getting the carburation right would have helped a bit but the back of the car is a mess from where the oil is slinging out of the crank pulley.

I have vent ports to install in the valve covers as well, but I think I'd be delaying the inevitable if I didn't just rebuild the top end.

If anyone has any comments about crankcase venting and oil loss I'm very interested in hearing you experiences
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the shit sling everywhere before. motor, highway. If you hook the vent hose up to one of the kad filters, that should alleviate the oil from the slinger problem.
If you go bigger, just get the empi breather kit, it works fine.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERC wrote:
I've had the shit sling everywhere before. motor, highway. If you hook the vent hose up to one of the kad filters, that should alleviate the oil from the slinger problem.
If you go bigger, just get the empi breather kit, it works fine.

Yeah, after some reading this afternoon I'm tempted to do that. It's running OK atm and I really don't feel like tearing down the motor. But I also don't want to be putting a quart of oil in the thing every trip when I go on vacation in 4 weeks. I think I'll grab a nylon elbow tonite and drill a hole for it into the filter hat and see where that gets me for now. If it works I'll owe ya a beer!
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool Cool shes lookin good, bro.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is where I'm at right now. Decided to just dive right in and it's a good thing I did. I found cylinders in less than adequate condition, rings that were not clocked properly, and heads with damage.
If you've been following some of my posts in the engine forum I've worked out these things and I'm on the road to rebuilding. Unfortunately, last night after I started to measure tolerances on the new parts of the 1835 kit, I noticed I had been given only two wristpin keeper circlips. Left a message with Appletree about it and haven't heard anything back yet but it's ok because I found some at NAPA along with another pair of pliers since the ones I have don't want to fit the small holes in these clips. And when all was said and done the clips were basically free with my discount. I don't blame Appletree for the missing clips but it's annoying none-the-less.
So tonight hopefully I'll make tons of progress. I still have to finger out what kind of sealant to buy for the cylinder to case joint and find a ring compressor that will work with-in these head bolts.
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm takin about Cool
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run a THIN bead of silicone around the base of the cylinders on install.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas-Ga-Cinch also works fairly well but I agree with the man with the pretty wife. I like a thin smear of orange silicon RTV on the cylinder bases. Ya gotta be quick about getting the head on after installing the cylinders and torque it down before the silicon sets up. Be sure the cylinders are on over the rings before you apply the silicon and be sure to get the sealant all the way around before you slide the barrel down to seat it against the case. A cotton swab applicator can help here.

NO
sealant at the top of the barrels to the head.[/u]
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, buttoned up the motor last night, in hindsight it was easy. Just took my time to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. Got the old valve train set up even though I have some solid rockers on order. Took about four or five tries before I had the rockers where i needed them. The new elephant screw adjusters I got from IAP had a longer neck on them so it was a greater distance from the foot to the threaded portion. I ended it up with the shaft shim from before plus the two supplied in the kit before I had good clearances. Adjusted my intakes to .006 and my exhausts to .007 then cleaned up my carburetor linkages and drilled and tapped a brass hose barb into the fuel pump block-off for a crankcase vent.

Tonight I address the cooling tin, plugging up the various mounting holes OP made and bending and straightening so I have a good fit especially around the exhaust ports which is a pet-peave of mine. I hate when the tin get in your way when your trying to get the exhaust on/off.
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its gonna feel like a whole different 70's car Cool
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor's all together. Tonight, weather permitting, It goes back in and I can start breaking it in. Just have to run a new wire to the back to accommodate the new oil pressure switch so I can have a light and a buzzer on the dash.
I really need to do something about making a vent canister. Problem is I'm running out of room and motivation. I have a big one from my buggy but it needs 1-1/2" tubing to mount to. Plan to use it when I build my cage but for now I'll have to do something. I'm thinking I'll just run the oil fill vent to a carb and the new fuel pump vent to the other carb or T-ed to the other vent.
Kinda nervous but not anticipating any real problems. I always get nervous after rebuilding a motor.
Moment of truth and everything.

If anyone has any suggestions on break-in, feel free to chime in. I've read some good write ups but I think they were geared towards all new parts. I'm just bedding the rings.
I figure a good 15min drive where I keep the RPMs above 2K never keeping the throttle in one position long. Then an oil change and valve adjustment.

I had a 94 Suzuki GSXR 907 I rebuilt years ago, and I made the mistake of disassembling the carbs so I had to tune them before I could break in the engine. The hour spent idling ruined my rings and I had to take the thing apart and rehone the cylinders.
Didn't touch the carbs a bit this time except to soda blast the riser/manifold. Cool
Fingers crossed....
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'll be fine bro. fire it up and take it down the street at 70 for about fifteen minutes, turn around and come back then set the idles after the heat cycle
The empi breather box has always worked well for me
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-8544
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't ya know. I'm ready to put the motor in and what's waiting for me when I get home? The solid rocker shafts that were on back order.

Well I guess it's not that bad. Might as well do it while everything is clean.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you reused the cam and lifters that were in the engine when you took it apart, there is no conventional break in needed. All you gotta do is seat the new rings.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After breaking two valve adjusters I finally got it in. Took it for a drive. Had to start it three times because it'd stall as soon as I let the clutch out. Went for a run and kept it between 2k and 3k. And parked it. Looking over the engine I found an oil leak on one side coming from the pushrod tubes and an air filter that came loose a bit. Prolly shoulda went for new tubes in hind sight. I'll try to expand them in hopes of it stopping.
Otherwise I'm happy. Drain the oil and adjust the valves tomorrow and I think I might be good.

Thanks to everyone who helped out especially my friend Dave from Zeeland who came through with some tools and parts when I needed them!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: