Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another type 3 truck
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximumFinishes wrote:

Thanks Mont3. I figured I would keep things like the light cluster thingy and any other larger electrical components, and based on your advice I will try to keep as much of the wiring intact as possible. I don't know how I'm gonna pull all those wires through the drivers side floor channel area though. Confused I do know I can't pull this through...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just noticed that you're in Donnelly. If you want to make a drive down to the Homedale area (120 miles down Hwy 55), I can send you home with a bunch of the metal you need in these pictures.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
I just noticed that you're in Donnelly. If you want to make a drive down to the Homedale area (120 miles down Hwy 55), I can send you home with a bunch of the metal you need in these pictures.

Thanks notchback! That would be perfect! PM me your info and I'll contact you to set it up. Man that's just awesome! Dancing

Homedale is where I picked up Charlie...

'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
'97 Subaru Impreza Outback - Dennis
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wires came out the rocker area easily enough. Now I just need to remove the doors and finish stripping the window trim. I can't figure out how to remove the window scraper and window channel area...

The allen head door screws are especially stubborn. The lower drivers side mount seems to be a lil messed up as well. Here it is where it's supposed to be...

and here it is when it's all the way open...

Do I need to cut into that area to reenforce the mount? I hope not. That sounds horrible.

Also, the clip things that hold the nut for these things...

aren't keeping the nut in place. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Max
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I figured out why the passenger door wasn't working. After finally getting the mechanism out and tinkering with it for a bit I saw that it was shifted so it wouldn't engage it's self. Like so...

After a whack with the rubber mallet and some 3in1 it's working splendidly...

I'm slowly figuring this shit out. Piece by piece.
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll have a lot of what you need. I cut up '64 and '65 squarebacks and kept a lot of the parts. The entire rear of one of them is still sitting on the pan. I'll PM you my info.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximumFinishes wrote:
I can't figure out how to remove the window scraper and window channel area...

Also, the clip things that hold the nut for these things...

aren't keeping the nut in place. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Max

The lower trim is held in place with triangular shaped clips (6 I think), that snap into slots in the door, but you have to have the wing window out first. I use a bent trim tool to release the clips, as they go thru the aluminum part. You could go from underneath (inside the door shell) with a heavy duty putty knife, to pop them out. Don't loose any, and try not to break them, as the repops don't fit as well as the OE clips do.

As for the black clips in the channel (they hold the "glass run channel seal"), you have to look at them, to decide which way to push them out (the hole/slot in the clip is where the tab is, so you push the tab opposite of that slot). They have a tab that goes into a hole to hold them in place. Some have to slide forward, while others slide rearward. On the upright part of the door, some go up, while some go down. Make a note of that, so upon reassembly, you get them facing the correct direction, so they don't allow the glass run channel to fall out. That can happen when raising or lowering the window, IF they aren't placed in the correct direction.

There should be a 6mm wave washer under the nut to hold that side of the air boxes in place. The front side has M6 screws (10mm heads) that you just remove part way, to allow the air box to slide out.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Nice job on getting the door latch cleaned up and lubed up. That was probably part of the problem (hadn't been lubed in years, let alone cycled (opened and closed) in a while). Those latches are supposed top be oiled at every oil change (part of the 3000 mile maintenance).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
The lower trim is held in place with triangular shaped clips (6 I think), that snap into slots in the door, but you have to have the wing window out first. I use a bent trim tool to release the clips, as they go thru the aluminum part. You could go from underneath (inside the door shell) with a heavy duty putty knife, to pop them out. Don't loose any, and try not to break them, as the repops don't fit as well as the OE clips do.

As for the black clips in the channel (they hold the "glass run channel seal"), you have to look at them, to decide which way to push them out (the hole/slot in the clip is where the tab is, so you push the tab opposite of that slot). They have a tab that goes into a hole to hold them in place. Some have to slide forward, while others slide rearward. On the upright part of the door, some go up, while some go down. Make a note of that, so upon reassembly, you get them facing the correct direction, so they don't allow the glass run channel to fall out. That can happen when raising or lowering the window, IF they aren't placed in the correct direction.

There should be a 6mm wave washer under the nut to hold that side of the air boxes in place. The front side has M6 screws (10mm heads) that you just remove part way, to allow the air box to slide out.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Nice job on getting the door latch cleaned up and lubed up. That was probably part of the problem (hadn't been lubed in years, let alone cycled (opened and closed) in a while). Those latches are supposed top be oiled at every oil change (part of the 3000 mile maintenance).

Very helpful info Bob. Thanks a bunch!

Once I looked up into the door the triangular clips were evident. They all came out with minimal prying. The black clips required me creating a gap with one flathead while I got a really small flathead behind it to get it to release. As advised I noted the direction and it seemed to be counterclockwise to release. The chrome strip is pretty moshed up. Even before I got after it. Oh well. If I can't replace em I'll rocket. This ain't a show truck.

The air boxes were also easily pried out of place. I had removed the inner bolts, but the "wave" washers (never knew they had such a cool name) for the outer ones were crap. The seals are so trashed that I was able to get them out though. Any chance those are available? Think

For now I'm gonna leave the doors on so the only thing left to do (To free up my garage space. Next milestone Wink ) is get the body transferred to a rack of some sorts. Anybody know of some makeshift, redneckish style body rack? I'm thinking of using sawhorses sitting on snowmobile casters. Might be a lil to redneck so hopefully someone else has a better, inexpensive alternative.

I also talked to Neil today and I'm really excited to get some metal to get the patching started. Hopefully I can make that my main winter project. Besides the Bus of corse. White Bay Bus Cool
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximumFinishes wrote:
The chrome strip is pretty moshed up. Even before I got after it. Oh well. If I can't replace em I'll rocket. This ain't a show truck.

The air boxes were also easily pried out of place. I had removed the inner bolts, but the "wave" washers (never knew they had such a cool name) for the outer ones were crap. The seals are so trashed that I was able to get them out though. Any chance those are available? Think

The chrome window trim is available from ISP. It's called an "outer scraper", as it has the rubber attached to it.

Seals for the air boxes are also available from ISP. I don't remember IF they have the screens too, but those can be faked. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can custom build wood saw horses on wheels to rest the body on. Build them big enough to roll your chassis underneath for storage & link the saw horses together before rolling the body very far.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximumFinishes wrote:
Next milestone Wink ) is get the body transferred to a rack of some sorts. Anybody know of some makeshift, redneckish style body rack? I'm thinking of using sawhorses sitting on snowmobile casters. Might be a lil to redneck so hopefully someone else has a better, inexpensive alternative.
Cool

Do a little searching for "body carts" in the Ghia forum. You'll be surprised at some of the different ideas you'll get that you can incororate into your own design. There are quite a few that are similar, but then a good design is a good design. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again Bob! I think the body cart is way better than my sawhorse idea...

Now on to cutting and welding. That is after I fix the hood, grille, bumper, and misc plastic fasteners on my '06 Chevy Silverado. Evil or Very Mad Damn icy roads.
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximumFinishes wrote:
Thanks once again Bob! I think the body cart is way better than my sawhorse idea...

Now on to cutting and welding. That is after I fix the hood, grille, bumper, and misc plastic fasteners on my '06 Chevy Silverado. Evil or Very Mad Damn icy roads.

As one of the few fellow type 3 truck owners in the world Rolling Eyes ....

ANY UPDATES !?
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Another type 3 truck Reply with quote

Unfortunately life has different plans than I do. I am now facing overwhelming debt due to a broken heel and subsequent surgical expenses and am forced to sell ALL unnecessary items. A liquidation of sorts. PM me if anyone's interested in parts or check the classifieds.

Thanks guys.
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another type 3 truck Reply with quote

That's SAD Sad I hope things turn around...your health is definitely a priority Exclamation
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: