Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another type 3 truck
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
MaximumFinishes wrote:
Already gettin much needed advice. Thanks Donnie!

P.S. The pan should still be a good match though, right?

That's a Peru Green '68 - don't you dare chop it up!!! Evil or Very Mad

After I gave her a bath, and stripped the Hantavirus infested interior, I figured it was too nice to cut up. I might be "green" at this but I'm not completely stupid. I figure all this baby needs is brakes, some pan work, interior, and TU. After that she should be road worthy. A little body work after that and this might be my coolest car ever! (Oh, and that pesky little title issue. Mad )

As far as the separation issue...I was also planning on using the trolly jack method with the wheels in place to move. I kinda thought I should engine, tranny, wheels, but I thought I might be able to get away with it. Prolly not.

Thanks guys,
Max
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
'97 Subaru Impreza Outback - Dennis
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximumFinishes wrote:
Tram wrote:
MaximumFinishes wrote:
Already gettin much needed advice. Thanks Donnie!

P.S. The pan should still be a good match though, right?

That's a Peru Green '68 - don't you dare chop it up!!! Evil or Very Mad

After I gave her a bath, and stripped the Hantavirus infested interior, I figured it was too nice to cut up. I might be "green" at this but I'm not completely stupid. I figure all this baby needs is brakes, some pan work, interior, and TU. After that she should be road worthy. A little body work after that and this might be my coolest car ever! (Oh, and that pesky little title issue. Mad )

As far as the separation issue...I was also planning on using the trolly jack method with the wheels in place to move. I kinda thought I should engine, tranny, wheels, but I thought I might be able to get away with it. Prolly not.

Thanks guys,
Max

Not sure what kinds of resources you may have accessible to you or how many people are available to help out in moving the shell off the pan. But you can build a stand and move the shell to it. Once I removed the engine from the shell, I removed all fenders and doors. Then went onto removing the pan bolts as well as the bolts that hold the front beam mount points as well as the rear portion of the suspension/pan and any other cables. Ensured I disconnected the steering column from the steering box. Tried to make it as lite and as easy as possible to remove. Once all that was taken care of, I lifted the front end and slipped a 4x4 on top of the front tire and then used a motorcycle jack on the back end with a couple of landscaping blocks with a 2x4 set just under the bumper brackets. Once I was able to lift the back end off the pan and had a good gap to slip a 4x4 over the rear tired, I did just that. Once that was done I had my stand ready to go, I shifted the body over to the stand. The tranny was easy to remove when you have accessibility to it while the shell is off. Everyone goes about it differently. But whatever you do, be safe about it and don’t chance getting hurt. As for the title, You have time to get that so get your paperwork submitted. Welcome to the community and enjoy your new project AND remember it’s supposed to be fun.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MonT3! Great advice. It's been challenging already but it's a TON of fun!

I'm gonna have to move the discussion about the SB to another thread as it is now no longer destined to just be Frankie's Bride. I will continue Frank's progress here. I done went and got myself two projects on accident*. Cool
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pics of the body bolts that had the internal mount break. Do I have to cut into it to get them out?

Also, the stuck door is preventing me from taking off passenger fender. Would drilling out the lock mechanism help me get to the stuck lock?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was after a front footwell section (whole front section you're working on) at a yard and had the same thing happen. I took a cutting (fresh disc) wheel to it. I made a cut across the top of the bolt then cut between the bolt head and washer. I take it you may have some rot up front here? Looks like it in your last pic. Not sure if you got the bolts to that are up front as well. They bolt to the front beam to the body. I think they're 15m or 17m. Hope this helps. Hang in there.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximumFinishes wrote:
Here are the pics of the body bolts that had the internal mount break. Do I have to cut into it to get them out?

Also, the stuck door is preventing me from taking off passenger fender. Would drilling out the lock mechanism help me get to the stuck lock?

Drilling out the lock is only going to help if it's actually the lock that's keeping the door from opening...but you can get to it from inside the car as well without drilling the lock. If you pull the door panels off, you can reach up and unlatch the door if the push button is the issue. With a small flat head screwdriver you can remove the pin from the lock.

I had to do this once on a car that had a mechanism that broke in the 'closed' position and I didn't want to risk damage to the door.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah cut the bolt heads off those pan bolts, as there's a captured thread plate inside the body portion that will need to get adjusted (or re-made).

Ataraxia has the right idea on the door. You'll probably have to "sacrifice" the panel to the lock gods, in order to get in there to release the door. It's a PIA, but that's about the only way in. Drilling the lock just makes a mess, and gives you something else to replace. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Ataraxia has the right idea on the door. You'll probably have to "sacrifice" the panel to the lock gods, in order to get in there to release the door. It's a PIA, but that's about the only way in. Drilling the lock just makes a mess, and gives you something else to replace. Shocked

Do you mean I have to cut the metal part of the door panel? The cardboard paneling is gone and I can see up in the door but can't see where the lock mechanism connects to even get a small screwdriver in there. I've been trying to see how it would be done looking at the drivers door and just can't see the light. Crying or Very sad
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little tricky to see in there at the best of times. Spray some lube all around the latch assy. & see (if) you can see the rods moving all the parts, door lock button pulls up . The last 'stuck' door I dealt with, I held the inside handle open & did a body slam against the door, popped open. As last resort I might cut a door open, but unless you have spares & the door is crap, try to open without cutting.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the window glass/regulator, it'll get you more space to work and see what you need to do.

You shouldn't need to cut the metal on the door to get it open. The locks aren't that complex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximumFinishes wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Do you mean I have to cut the metal part of the door panel? The cardboard paneling is gone and I can see up in the door but can't see where the lock mechanism connects to even get a small screwdriver in there. I've been trying to see how it would be done looking at the drivers door and just can't see the light. Crying or Very sad

NO. There should be a black boxed section covering the lock assembly. It's held on by a single 6mm screw (10mm hex head). Remove the screw, and the "U" channel rubber from it, then pull it down and out of the way. Now you should be able to access the lock/latch assembly. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one4house wrote:

Ladies and gentleman, it's official. WE HAVE A HOARDER. Smile

It's damn near a requirement with ownership of an early Type 3.
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
NO. There should be a black boxed section covering the lock assembly. It's held on by a single 6mm screw (10mm hex head). Remove the screw, and the "U" channel rubber from it, then pull it down and out of the way. Now you should be able to access the lock/latch assembly. Very Happy

I'm fairly sure you're talking about this screw (already removed):

To take out this piece:

Which I had no luck moving after removing said screw. Confused I pulled aside the U rubber and grabbed ahold of the black metal and couldn't get it to move. It's frustrating when you think you're doing it right only to get nowhere. Mad
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
If you remove the window glass/regulator, it'll get you more space to work and see what you need to do.

I thought that would be a convenient thing to do...only I can't get the window crank off. Man, I really can't figure sh!t out. Evil or Very Mad
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '66-'67 at least window cranks are held on by a skinny C clip.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximumFinishes wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

I'm fairly sure you're talking about this screw (already removed):

To take out this piece:

Which I had no luck moving after removing said screw. Confused I pulled aside the U rubber and grabbed ahold of the black metal and couldn't get it to move. It's frustrating when you think you're doing it right only to get nowhere. Mad

You might need to use a pair of vice grips (to help get some leverage), as it's clipped into the door post/window channel.

Mike, the 61 thru 65 cars also use a clip for the window handle. But, the slots for the clip are thinner than most of the currently available tools out there. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB says he puts a big towel down before he pops out the C clip so as not to lose them! Idea I have an angled/pointed dental tool to hook C clips.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
EverettB says he puts a big towel down before he pops out the C clip so as not to lose them! Idea I have an angled/pointed dental tool to hook C clips.

True, I have done that, if it falls it sticks to the towel.

This prevents it bouncing somewhere weird or if you are like me and do stuff on your lawn, the grass likes to swallow parts.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I have an angled/pointed dental tool to hook C clips.

I use a notched section of 1.5 inch wide band strap to remove them, as it's thinner than the tools out there. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Success! The door is finally open!

I used a very thin flat head screwdriver to remove the C clips (the drivers side slid out slowly while the other one sprung out, hit the head rest, and fell gently at my side. Cool ) and removed the window. I then was able to get the metal plate out after removing this clip

from the window seal. Pulling and wrenching on it wouldn't have worked without this clip removed.

I saw that the opening mechs weren't engaging the door release so I pushed down on it with a long screwdriver and, eureka! Once it released it was so stiff I was hesitant to open it all the way so we hit the upper hinge with some oil and worked it slowly. Now I just need to find out why it's not engaging.

Thanks for the help guys.
Max
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: