Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UPDATE: California AGREED VALUE insurance fiasco.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: California AGREED VALUE insurance fiasco. Reply with quote

RE: 1989 Vanagon Westy
EDIT: PLEASE SEE COMMENTS BELOW... This has turned out quite poorly for us. We got sold something, and now it's being switched on us. Any advice always appreciated. Thought we cracked the code on this... but we didn't.

Aloha everyone,
I am "officially" new to the forums, though I have been lurking and learning and laughing for years here. Love the community here! My wife and I are finally ready to live the dream. We are trying to buy a Westy in outstanding shape and I researched the current insurance market like a lunatic for the past 2 days. As in... all day nonstop hell. I called EVERYONE. My wife and I are ideal insurers; homes, cars, no claims, great credit etc. and it was REALLY hard to find a proper policy.

Anyway, it was a nightmare. I didn't want to BS an insurance company about what I was doing, and I didn't want to pretend I didn't camp, or that it was a show car... and I certainly didn't want to insure it for bluebook value, or stated value (which, according to my limited knowledge isn't that much better than Actual Cash Value).

Long story short, after contacting 16 different companies, and probably 20 different agents, I now have a policy. It may not be for you... but I can't be the only person who needs Vanagon insurance that exceeds the bluebook value, so I wanted to pass along my research in the event it helps someone. It seems lots has changed in the insurance market over the past two years and as our 1980's/90's vans become more valuable, they also keep dropping in bluebook value. I see lots of folks on the forums accepting Stated Value policies because, well... it's really hard to find the Agreed Value policy that doesn't make you garage your Westy or hide some of the usage.

There's a guy who insures most all of the West Coast Sportsmobiles named Justin Gennock out of San Diego. He got me a SafeCo policy that was more high end maybe than many will need, but it may help someone. So I got an AGREED value policy (vehicle value up to $40k) that lets me use the rig as a daily driver, camp, no mileage limitations etc. We got roadside assistance and loss of use (car rental). I didn't have to insure any other vehicles with him (and frankly, the regular policies were way more than I pay at GEICO).

UPDATE: Do not recommend this guy at all.

He worked with the underwriter to create a "Classic Car Regular Use RV-Motorhome" policy that is hereby known as The TidalBoy Policy (TBP) Very Happy The policy lets me use the van as an RV and as daily driver. No garage requirements, nothing. No appraisals required. I did send some photos and info.

I have zero affiliation with him, and I'm only writing here because as of April 30th, 2014 the insurance landscape seems to have changed and I worked too hard not to share my findings on the off chance it helps someone else.

Best of luck. I'm soooo happy to be done with this search!

UPDATE: We do not recommend this guy. We got burned. Sold something that wasn't possible and the underwriter's cancelled the policy. Very frustrating and a waste of time.
Justin Gennock
http://www.gennockinsurance.com

Last edited by thewedge on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:33 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
jtaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great info, thanks
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtaby wrote:
This is great info, thanks

Happy to help! I just moved to Mill Valley from the coast of Maine. Looking forward to meting up with the Bay Area folks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for the info.

Nice avatar, John is smiling Very Happy
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Vanagon on a plain old Safeco policy, I can use my van for camping with that policy. I have a $50 deductible and that even covers glass. sweet!!! Also towing and road side service is included, but I have not used that ever.
It was easy, one call and I was set up with the policy when I got the van.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
I have my Vanagon on a plain old Safeco policy, I can use my van for camping with that policy. I have a $50 deductible and that even covers glass. sweet!!! Also towing and road side service is included, but I have not used that ever.
It was easy, one call and I was set up with the policy when I got the van.

Awesome! $50 deductible is insane! So good! Well that's great news bluebus86! (I tried all the Safeco agents in petaluma and they had no idea what I was talking about when I ask for Agreed upon value of $40k on a $10k bluebook van). Did you find someone locally that would do Agreed upon value for a daily driver? I found it wicked tough as we say in maine.

I actually had Safeco on one of my houses when we had a major loss back in Maine (frozen pipe pumped my well into the house... oooops!). They were awesome. No doubt a different crew here, but at least we know they're a legit company.
billmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: So how much did that agreed value policy cost? Reply with quote

And did he actually write you a policy before you bought the van? Or if you already have it, tellus or show pics.

Bill in Sebastopol, CA
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how much is your annual premium for an "AGREED value policy (vehicle value up to $40k) that lets me use the rig as a daily driver, camp, no mileage limitations etc." ? Ballpark is fine as I realize that each individual's premiums will vary. Thanks!
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: So how much did that agreed value policy cost? Reply with quote

billmatt wrote:
And did he actually write you a policy before you bought the van? Or if you already have it, tellus or show pics.

Bill in Sebastopol, CA

Hey Bill! My neighbor! Yahoo! He did right a policy for a van I don't quite own yet. Still haven't seen it in person nor tested it etc. I'm optimistic but I don't want to jinx it. Still have to negotiate the details.

BUT... if we get it, I'll post photos. Fingers crossed that it all works out!
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
So how much is your annual premium for an "AGREED value policy (vehicle value up to $40k) that lets me use the rig as a daily driver, camp, no mileage limitations etc." ? Ballpark is fine as I realize that each individual's premiums will vary. Thanks!

Ballpark was NOT cheap. About $700.
He would have done $600 flat for a stated value, but the nuances of what I really wanted cost me.

I have a LOT to learn here. I'm just basing all my knowledge on what I've researched/read, but most of the insurance brokers I spoke to who did NOT offer coverage, were very very open with me and said "Yeah, it this were mine I would only do Agreed upon value"

I don't have anything figured out... so hopefully we can all share info and maybe someone has an even better deal. I know some of the other organizations get together and get group deals. Would be awesome if we could all get some discount from someone with the proper coverage. No need to reinvent the Vanagon insurance thing if we could avoid it.

Best!
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tidalboy wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

Ballpark was NOT cheap. About $700.
He would have done $600 flat for a stated value, but the nuances of what I really wanted cost me.

I have a LOT to learn here. I'm just basing all my knowledge on what I've researched/read, but most of the insurance brokers I spoke to who did NOT offer coverage, were very very open with me and said "Yeah, it this were mine I would only do Agreed upon value"

I don't have anything figured out... so hopefully we can all share info and maybe someone has an even better deal. I know some of the other organizations get together and get group deals. Would be awesome if we could all get some discount from someone with the proper coverage. No need to reinvent the Vanagon insurance thing if we could avoid it.

Best!

Thanks. That sounds pretty good as long as there are no restrictions and you are truly gonna put serious miles on your Westy each year.

As a point of reference (that probably has no bearing Rolling Eyes ) last year I had a 1970 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750 with an agreed value of $30K… there were mileage restrictions and garage requirements (and no, it didn't have a pop-top Wink) that I paid $250/year with Hagerty. Too bad Hagerty doesn't insure Vanagons/Westies Sad.

Despite the niche market, I strongly feel that there must be a genuine need for a "Vanagon/Westy specific insurance company" that offers agreed policies with few/no restrictions. Anyone want to start one with me? Surprised GoWesty hasn't moved into this realm Shocked .

Maybe I'll give your agent a call. I've been struggling with the insurance/value/coverage issue since I got mine.
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! Some smart person will recognize the market and develop an insurance product that is turnkey.
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

Based on this policy we purchased an Adventurewagen topped vanagon (named Tubby). Long story short, we've had the van for a little over a month and have loved it.

Surprise! Last week I got a text from the Insurance Agent (Justin) who wants photos of the van and "where the Vanagon is garaged"

I sent photos and of course reminded him that the big deal of going with him/this policy was that there were no restrictions... not on mileage, camping or being garaged. I wanted to confirm that "all was as agreed to as it was weird to be getting these questions a month after buying the vehicle."

On Saturday I received a letter from SAFECO saying the premium was going up by $200.

I called to inquire about this change, and things started to smell fishy... suddenly a need for photos, a question about being garaged that was already answered, and now a $200 random bill.

Long story short, SAFECO is canceling our policy! Joy! Not because of anything we did at all... just they now want the van garaged... and Justin is now pushing me to $700 RV Motorhome Annual Policy that covers the van "up to $50k" but not Agreed Upon Value.

This sucks. Not sure how I can pay for an annual policy and they can suddenly cancel it?

Now what to do... I don't think Agreed Upon Value is possible in California. We are perfect candidates (homes/cars/no accidents/tickets/perfect credit) and I have tried for days to get this figured out.

Should I just take an RV policy? How does that work if there's an accident? Should I do a GoWesty appraisal, keep my receipts and just get ready to fight?

Any input is appreciated. I feel like I got kicked in the gut.
Thanks,
Brian and Malia
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:

Call up FAS in Harpswell an see who they suggest you call here in Maine to an agreed amount policy carrier. Usually that involves getting it appraised as well as some restrictions (like not a daily driver).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy, thanks. It is a daily driver though. And I'm trying to insure it in California... like an idiot because I'm trying not to play games, but yeah... Maine would be easier. My home is in Harpswell actually, but I'm out here in Cali indefinitely caring for my sister (leukemia) so I was trying to do it right.

Thanks for the advice.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check what the cost is for a standard full coverage policy with your current insurance company. I have insurance through Farmers with a standard policy. I few years back my van was totaled. They paid a very fair amount in settlement, much more than I paid for it. There was some but very little resistance from them to be fair. I'm not sure what the benefit is for special policies when regular insurance is required to pay market value.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your situation I would go for a stated value policy and have an appraisal done to back it up and for later use. You'll also need to keep regular pics and copies of all receipts as time goes on since you'll need to prove the vehicles worth if it is totaled (especially in a fire, BTDT). You'll have to 'fight' with the insurance company to get the value but since you have all the back-up you likely will win out in the end. BTDT.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. This is all very helpful and realistic.

Question:
When folks say "appraisal" how do people feel about the GoWesty Opinion of Value offer. Seems like a $250 rubber stamp with a rig like ours in mint condition that we just bought. Think the GoWesty Opinion of Value is legit and worthwhile? Or should I try to hunt some random appraiser down who doesn't deal in this market as often?

THANK YOU!!!!
spacecadet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to thread-jack, just saying Hi! Grew up in Harpswell Maine, now living in San Francisco.
1986 Mercedes 300 Coupe (Sold)
1954 Volvo PV544 (Sold)
1990 Dodge D250 Cummins (Totaled)
1990 Vanagon GL 2.1 Automatic (Sold)
1968 Ford F250(Current)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewedge wrote:
Thank you guys. This is all very helpful and realistic.

Question:
When folks say "appraisal" how do people feel about the GoWesty Opinion of Value offer. Seems like a $250 rubber stamp with a rig like ours in mint condition that we just bought. Think the GoWesty Opinion of Value is legit and worthwhile? Or should I try to hunt some random appraiser down who doesn't deal in this market as often?

THANK YOU!!!!

If the insurance companies recognize a GoWesty evaluation as a market value then I'd say use them. If you use an appraiser ask on the samba for one who is familiar with our market. Don't choose a 'random' one.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: