Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UPDATE: California AGREED VALUE insurance fiasco.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacecadet wrote:
Not to thread-jack, just saying Hi! Grew up in Harpswell Maine, now living in San Francisco.

Can't be too many people from sleepy Harpswell, Maine out here in SF. That's a legit thread highjack, no worries!

I'm headed back there for a few weeks soon. Can't wait to be back on the islands!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
thewedge wrote:
Thank you guys. This is all very helpful and realistic.

Question:
When folks say "appraisal" how do people feel about the GoWesty Opinion of Value offer. Seems like a $250 rubber stamp with a rig like ours in mint condition that we just bought. Think the GoWesty Opinion of Value is legit and worthwhile? Or should I try to hunt some random appraiser down who doesn't deal in this market as often?

THANK YOU!!!!

If the insurance companies recognize a GoWesty evaluation as a market value then I'd say use them. If you use an appraiser ask on the samba for one who is familiar with our market. Don't choose a 'random' one.

I got a super vague response about what would be approved as an appraisal from my agent. Thinking I'll first secure the new insurance and then I'll jump through those hoops. So much time invested in something that should be so simple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'd ask around and get a professional appraiser, preferably one recognized by your insurance company, to work with you. Be sure to ask what he/she thinks it will appraise at before you commit. No use paying for an appraisal that is not what you think it is worth. OTOH, if no appraiser will agree to your number then you'll need to reevaluate your expectations.... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW... Stephan of Stephan's Auto Haus in Sacramento, CA (pioneer and master of the 1.8T Vanagon conversion... aka $$$$$ Vanagons) recommends Farmers with "stated value" as well. He also mentioned Mercury Insurance. No affiliation... Just passing along info.

I personally had nothing but hassles when discussing my Vanagon with my local CA Safeco Ins rep. Rolling Eyes

I went with Farmers.
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
FWIW... Stephan of Stephan's Auto Haus in Sacramento, CA (pioneer and master of the 1.8T Vanagon conversion... aka $$$$$ Vanagons) recommends Farmers with "stated value" as well. He also mentioned Mercury Insurance. No affiliation... Just passing along info.

I personally had nothing but hassles when discussing my Vanagon with my local CA Safeco Ins rep. Rolling Eyes

I went with Farmers.

This is helpful. THANK YOU.
I will call him tomorrow to see if I can hunt down an agent in California who has done this. When I speak to an agent, it's like reinventing the wheel as I describe the need for a Stated Value policy. I'd love to skip that and just chat with someone that says "yup, here's what that would cost."

In fact, @thankyoujerry, if it's not too much to ask, and YOU have an agent that you worked with on a stated value policy... would you be willing to share their name. I'm new to California, and in Maine things are MUCH more straightforward and people will hear you out a bit. Feel free to PM me an agent if you're comfortable doing so. If not, no worries. I just want to get off this insurance merry go round as soon as I can!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, my Farmer's agent is kind of an idiot. I wouldn't recommend him. I used him for my Vanagon because I already had a home policy with him/Farmers. I'd recommend calling Stephan… and asking who his agent is as I imagine Stephan's guy is well versed in "Vanagon". Maybe I'll switch agents too Laughing .
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Honestly, my Farmer's agent is kind of an idiot. I wouldn't recommend him. I used him for my Vanagon because I already had a home policy with him/Farmers. I'd recommend calling Stephan… and asking who his agent is as I imagine Stephan's guy is well versed in "Vanagon". Maybe I'll switch agents too Laughing .

No offense to anyone on here who is an insurance agent as I have no doubt there are amazing, caring people in that line of work but they're hard to find. I have spoken to more people who are either lazy or stupid or manipulative during these calls than I ever imagined. Many who just don't want to deal with any creative/unconventional solutions (understandable) and many more who just don't get it... or don't care to get it so long as they sell you ANYTHING.

I'm on a mission to find something that works. I emailed Stephan and will call tomorrow sometime. If I connect with a good agent, I'll report back here.

Thanks Volks!
rym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$700 for daily driver is expensive?! man mine is well over $1000 with 10 years accident and ticket-free! hate to say it but canada needs some american insurance companies to take over!
Waldemar Sikorski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rym wrote:
$700 for daily driver is expensive?! man mine is well over $1000 with 10 years accident and ticket-free! hate to say it but canada needs some american insurance companies to take over!

For years I had Wawanesa. The cheapest in California and Canadian.
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What is allowed" varies by state. For example, agreed value policies on motorhomes or RVs are not available.

Check with Progressive to see about a high usage RV policy. They gave me the idea to get it insured as an RV since it has a sink, stove, and sleeping arrangements.

I went with Allstate because they're the company I've always used. My agent didn't even know that you could insure one as a motorhome until he called the underwriters. Now, I'm paying $397 a year for actual cash value of $12,500 (which is what I had before when it was a regular policy) and 45 days of use. No garage, log book, or other requirements. The regular policy was about $1,400 per year. I was a little miffed that it wasn't offered as an option when I got it, but he apologized and said "No one has ever done that in my 20+ years of being an agent."

Obviously, a daily driver or "going on cross country excursions" would be different since it would be used more.

I'm going to write to the state insurance board and voice my support for Agreed Value Motorhome policies.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Farmers "Stated Value"... not exactly cheap that's for sure, but neither was my conversion etc... Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LandSailor wrote:

I went with Allstate because they're the company I've always used. My agent didn't even know that you could insure one as a motorhome until he called the underwriters.
..... but he apologized and said "No one has ever done that in my 20+ years of being an agent."

I have Allstate also, and when I asked my agent about this type of policy, she was unable to find anything?
Do you have a policy code or anything specific I could show her?
thanks
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

Last time I talked to Stephan, He was using Mercury,He said it required lots of documentation and pics, and an independent appraisal.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Stephan can share his appraiser contact?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

Last time I talked to Stephan, He was using Mercury,He said it required lots of documentation and pics, and an independent appraisal.

Did you talk to Stephan since April '14? That's when he told me Farmers. Hopefully the OP has gotten confirmation and has a name and number to share soon.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
goffoz wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

Did you talk to Stephan since April '14? That's when he told me Farmers. Hopefully the OP has gotten confirmation and has a name and number to share soon.

I talked to him late 2013 Your information is probably is more current
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why everyone here is so concerned about getting a stated or agreed value policy. I myself and several others I know who have had vans totaled got full value and compensation from standard full coverage policies. Not blue book, but fair market value, and above what was paid for the van. You just have to be able to show the value of the van at the time of the incedent. And from what I've read from others, the agreed value policies are not all that special. They're not going to pay you $30k just because that's what you agreed too. You still have to prove the value. Don't ever expect to re-coup all your investment, but I believe market value is what's required in most states.

Please let me know if others have had different experiences.
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I don't understand why everyone here is so concerned about getting a stated or agreed value policy. I myself and several others I know who have had vans totaled got full value and compensation from standard full coverage policies. Not blue book, but fair market value, and above what was paid for the van. You just have to be able to show the value of the van at the time of the incedent. And from what I've read from others, the agreed value policies are not all that special. They're not going to pay you $30k just because that's what you agreed too. You still have to prove the value. Don't ever expect to re-coup all your investment, but I believe market value is what's required in most states.

Please let me know if others have had different experiences.

I think this is a great point. Agreed value is agreed ahead of time so you know what you're getting into and I can see the value of doing that for peace of mind, but what you're saying makes sense. Stated value simply limits the maximum that they will pay BUT here's A big difference for us: aftermarket installations.

We have lots of modifications (adventurewagen top; RMW bumpers/tire holders/raised suspension/big brakes/Recaro seats etc. etc.). My understanding from speaking to lots of agents, underwriters and claims adjusters is that if you put in a $100k sound system for example... they aren't giving you a $100k for your sound system just because it's fair market value.

My understanding is that all these aftermarket mods: Subaru conversions to LED light kits etc. are not "factory" and therefore are not covered. Everything depends on the adjuster and the company of course... but most of the 60+ freaking policies I've perused over the past month of hell exclude these.

So to sum up: if you have a factory Westy that's still more or less factory... you're right. If that thing is in mint condition and FMV is super high, you probably are good to go.

On the other hand, if you're switching out wheels, suspension, brakes, engines etc. you do run the risk of having a claims adjuster say... this isn't a factory Vanagon. We will cover the vanagon, but not all this other crap you've bolted in.

Just my understanding. CLEARLY I don't have it all figured out, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks asked us privately for an update... so here it is.

A week has passed and thanks to some great people here at The Samba, we have the potential to dive into a policy that would fit.

It's actually a "special vehicle policy" that DOES cover all the aftermarket modifications that we have and DOES allow us to drive it normally and not garage it. It is a "predetermined value" policy that sounds more or less like a stated value policy in that the number is allowed to depreciate so record keeping is important and yes, that predetermined number from the appraisal is the max they would pay (even if the vehicle appreciates).

It requires an appraisal. We are having one done on Friday.
It is very expensive. Some $1200 a year. Groan.

We do have some other options some agents are pursuing.
The lack of a locked garage is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome.
If we had that, we would have many more options.

B
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$100 a month is not expensive, my opinion.
I pay more but the van is appraised at $65,000.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: