Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Too much fun!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm no purist by any means, and I know this isn't a "race" but in looking at some of the other entries, I don't think it would be a bad idea to make the Thing as safe as possible for the rally. For example this rule: "Vehicles must be equipped with OEM seat belts for all as a minimum." Stock belts simply don't cut it. I would put a modern three point belt system in at a minimum and a 4 or 5 point to be really secure.

Agreed, the stock seat belts are coming out and at the very least a good 3 point system.
As for the seats....I hate the look it is all wrong for a Thing, but they are very comfortable and the arm rest really helps defeat fatigue. I suspect that after the rally they are coming out for something that aesthetically fits and is comfortable. Walker and I spent hours looking through the wrecking yards for seats that would fit and this is the best we could come up with for now, needed to move on as there is lots to do with limited time. A thing with a roll bar is very limiting in seat width (21" max) and there are few production seats that narrow. Completion rather than perfection carried the day for this part.

On to more fun...unlike the seats, I love the dash!!! I have never worked on a car that was so easy to deal with the wiring, take out a few screws and there you are, wires served right up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
It looks like you have to run the vintage rally equipment in that class also. What are your plans for timing etc from this list?

Quote:
* SOP is defined as OEM odometer plus a slide rule, Stevens wheel, and basic electronic calculator. Rally tables are allowed, but computers (laptop, tablet, notebook, Android, iPhone, etc), and Curta calculators are NOT.
* Vintage equipment includes SOP items plus mechanical odometers like Halda Tripmaster & Twinmaster, and "Class B" or "Pro" electronic tripmeters such as Alfa Pro, Timewise 526B or 547B, Brantz Retrotrip 2; Brantz International 1 & 2 Classic; and Terratrip 1, 101+ and 202 with no calculating function and no remote display. "Class A" rally computers are specifically forbidden, but odos may include a digital clock. As a tribute to their vintage history, Halda Speedpilots and Curta calculators are allowed.

Good "timing" (pun intended) with this question as that is why the dash was opened up today... to remove the speedo. We need a trip reset and our 181s are lacking that feature. So it is off to Steve The Speedo King who is going to work kingly magic on that speedo and it have it reappear with a trip meter.
A trip meter, stop watch, rally tables, and an its all for fun attitude we will be good to go.
Yes others are really serious about this have have dumped big bucks into electronic gear (and seats) but the beauty of the classic class is simplicity.
shum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy days on the Thing, lots of cleaning, wire brushing and disassembling.

Good friend Raf (as in Royal Air Force) hitting the loom cover with a wire wheel. Wish we had time to send parts out for media blasting and powder coating, but times a ticking and we need this running in six weeks. Yikess!

Walker having too much fun removing the spring plate. Note the cool technique/tool for dealing with the torsion bar (thank you Mondshine). Using the right tool always makes one smile.

Back half of car is now disassembled and cleaned up... new trailing arm rubbers, torsion rubbers, correct Thing stub axles, all new German bearings, brake hoses, brake lines, wheel cylinders, shoes, seals, cables, sleeves, etc., etc., etc...

Walker looking for that missing wiper arm!

Pedal cluster is a mess! The brake return spring is almost rusted through and the throttle pedal needs a bit of welding at the hinge point.

A bit more painting metal parts on Monday and then its time to start putting it back together, Yipee!
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shum wrote:

Oh yeah and this arrived by UPS. I will post up some more info on this later as I have to go back to work now.

Steve, tell us about the transaxle? Where did you end up finding the stub axles? How is the motor coming along? Cool
shum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Steve, tell us about the transaxle? Where did you end up finding the stub axles? How is the motor coming along?

Iam actually just finishing up the order for the carbs at this moment, well a moment ago. Walker just called out that lunch is over and we are heading back out to start assembling the rear suspension....so, need to get out there.
But, I will post up detailed info on the transmission as we get it installed this week. I found the whole 4th gear, final ratio, tire size relationships very interesting and will share my thoughts and decisions later this week.
engine is probably up this weekend or so as I need to start getting that together too.
Steve
shum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some days are "green light days," and some are "red light days." Yesterday was certainly more of a red light kinda day, assuredly not Too much fun.
First off we got the torsion bars adjusted up a touch, the new rubbers all installed, and the covers bolted in. Off to a good start.
Second job was to install the swing arms with new rubber bushings and then the trouble started.... struggle, struggle, could not get the arm in the right orientation to get the bolt started. After 30 minutes of no fun we decide we were struggling and must be doing it wrong. The decision was made to pull the torsion plates back off and then install the trailing arms, and then reinstall the torsion plates. That went well, trailing arms just fell right in. Seemed like all was good, but no, not really. It was time to get schooled as pictures below reveal.

Reference chart with the target adjustment underlined. Just a small bump to offset the projected added weight for the rally and camping after. Not really swinging for the fences here.

What that adjustment looks like: top scratch line the before position, lower line is the new position.

At this point it seemed all was going well...

Then from Walkers side of the project I here a loud "bing, pling" and a "what the heck!" Hmmm, what is going on? This occurred as Walker was drawing the torsion bar cover with the new rubber installed up tight. The ping was the metal disc that normally goes were the torsion bar is now showing. If the torsion bar is now sticking out on this side it raises the question of where is the other torsion bar positioned?

With some effort we pop the disc off the other side to discover this... feeling like a "Rookie" at this point. Time to take a watermelon break. Not a day of satisfaction as we are now basically right back where we started and looking at once again pulling the plates and centering the bars, geeez.

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the loud "bing, pling" and a "what the heck!" was followed by...

We all have bad days. You just have to turn that "red light" into a "green light" day and move on. Wink
shum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that little video pretty well sums it up...good to laugh at it.
Friday turned into a green light day and we were able to pull it all apart, center the bars, and reassemble in about an hour. We are getting faster with all the practice. Decided to get "The Book" out and set all the torque specs to the proper numbers.

I like this as it also correctly names all the components along with the torque values.

A question... the brake line that crosses over from side to side above the transaxle, is it originally as shown in this picture or was it tucked up under the lip of the body along there were the body and belly pan meet? Seems like a tight fit to tuck it, but the metal tab that gets bent over the line to hold it in place seems to indicate it should be tucked into that little space.

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Yes I believe that brake line was secured by those tabs. My 73 has it tucked in close and secured by a tab. My 74... well it has been a couple of years since I pulled the body off the pan, but I recall it being the same. Wink

Edit:
Because I wasn't 100% certain, I turned to the Domeck brothers gallery:
Pan on:

Pan off:
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates? Cool
shum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
Any updates? Cool

Sorry for long delay of updates or replies, daughter was graduating from college, moving home, moving to San Francisco, etc, etc, etc....BUT,
work on the Thing has continued, just no time to check the forum let alone post any updates.
Have been waiting on some parts to complete rear suspension and those have now arrived along with bunches of other little stuff. Disc brakes for the front on the way and the engine case came home from the machine shop today. In the meantime...
cleaning up all the wiring: here we are in the process of removing from the loom all the wires etc. that were involved with the VW Diagnostic Scope plug in and not needed anymore.

Every connection in the car has been addressed by dipping in rust remover to remove any corrosion, tightening up the connection as needed, and coating with a thin layer of dialectic grease. An example of cleaned up connectors

Also started work on preparing the dash panels for gauges. This hole is for the tach. Notice the panel is held flat and secure with the use of a clamp and saw kerf in the 4x4 were the rolled lip of the panel (on the left side under the fingers) locks in. Should also say that the block of wood was secured in a vise and clamped to the table. This all went very smoothly. Still have another panel to do with three holes for gauges.

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more progress to report? August 17th is just around the corner. Wink

http://www.alcan5000.com/2014itin.htm
shum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shoyrtt
Posted: Today 1:19 pm
Any more progress to report? August 17th is just around the corner.

Yes, there has been progress, but first slowed by Walker being sick for three days and then of course, I was sick for three days. Back at it hard today. We have been snaping some pictures as we go, but as it's late and we are just now coming in from the shop.... Will,try to post some up tomorrow.
And, yes, August feels like a freight train coming this way! Time for some serious overtime.
shum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behind on posts as they relate to progress and way behind on the project with hard deadlines coming fast! With that said here are a few photos of what has happened this week...

With the bearings all sorted out and the seals in...

Time to slip the stub axles in. When we took the car apart we discovered that it had been converted to type 1 bug stub axles and CVs, a bit of a pain as we had to source a pair of stub axles, axles, and transmission flanges to bring it back to Thing standards. Looked high and looked low, finally found an excellent, like new pair from the Thing Shop. Once the bearings were in and we tried to fit the stub axles, we found them to be very tight, soooo on ice they went. Bit of a commotion when my wife discovered them in the ice maker. But hey, we did wrap them in a plastic bag.....

After a 2 day chilling they slipped in, no problem. Big smiles all around.

Don't have a photo past this point, but the wheel cylinders are in and also the rear hoses and lines. Waiting for Walker to weld in the seat tracks before running the metal line from the rear up to the master cylinder.
shum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last few years Walker has been taking all the metal classes offered at the local community college and last Friday it all payed off in my opinion... After weeks of looking for a used TIG machine he decided to pop for a brand new setup and home it came, just in time for this project. What a great addition to the shop!

First up on the job list for the welder was to tack in the seat frames.

The seats are now in (missed on a photo of the seats installed for this go around, so later on that) and the fit is very nice. Now, need to get the seat belts ordered, and once those arrive we can see how they fit and anchor and then Walker can then finish the welding on the seat frames along with the belt anchors on the roll bar as needed.
shum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back to the pedal assembly last week... Man it was in terrible condition with rust and corrosion throughout. The return spring was all but rusted in two. Ordered a rebuild kit from CIP along with a disc brake kit. Unlike the brake kit which is very nice the pedal kit was mostly cheap junk, but we did use the pins and springs.
[/img]

Once disassembled it really cleaned up nicely on the wire wheel. taking it all apart was pretty simple once the pin was driven out of the clutch arm and a bit of heat applied via the torch. A little paint and fresh grease and pretty as new, smooth operating too.

Here is a photo of the old pedal that we repaired with a bit of welding at the hinge and the not so great new pedal that came in the kit. Notice the differences where the return spring attaches and also at the hinge pin area.

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! Here is a little motivation Cool :

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new updates on your rally prep? 30 days or so to go. Smile
Mountain man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT HAPPENED? Is it ready?Is it close? Should we all fly there and help you finish it? This is like reading a mystery novel and then losing the book before reading the final chapter. I'm rooting for you guys!
GIT ER DONE!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, fly in!
Actually, I apologize for not keeping up on the postings as what was "too much fun" has evolved: "it's been fun and it's been real, but it has not been real fun."
The last month has been hard with the reality and commitment of "day jobs," subpar parts, poor machine work, and the stress of a quickly shortening calendar. Last night was the first time in a while that I thought, wow,we are going to pull this off. So, yes, the job sheet is shrinking.
Biggest disappointment was pulling the plug on the type 4 engine conversion. It was what I was most excited about, but being a bit twisted from stock with 72mm crank, type 1 pistons matched to type4 cylinders, Chevy rod journals, etc, etc... was slow going. It was all coming together until I checked head volumes and deck heights and discovered the compression ratio was too high and the heads would need to be opened up. This aspect of the project was sucking up the hours right when we needed to be moving fast not climbing hurtles. Plus, I really wanted this to be fun and it was starting not to. Time to change direction.
Have switched over to a another engine I had all the machine work and parts for stored on a shelf for another project. A straight 1776 with a single carb... It has not been with out issues but should be running next week.
There is of course more to the story and I will try to tell it with some pics maybe later today. Oh gee, another promise, yikes!
So, don't fly in yet.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it going? 17 and a wake up to go. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: