Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubel Replica - Based on a standard RHD 1968 VW Beetle (T1)
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefan44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Kubel Replica - Based on a standard RHD 1968 VW Beetle (T1) Reply with quote

Hi All

I'm building a Kubel Replica based on a standard RHD 1969 VW Beetle 1300 (T1). I bought it part converted with a very poor copy of a kubel body already installed.
The first stage of the project is to sort out the mechanicals and get it on the road as a summer fun car, then over the winter re fabricate a more realistic Kubel replica body based on a welded steel box section frame and replica body panels.

I'm aware of Kdf cz in Czech Republic and may buy in some of their parts.

If of interest to you all I'll post some pictures soon and at various stages of the project.

However, I have a couple of immediate queries I would appreciate some advice on please:

Query 1
I need to replace the current standard exhaust which has heat exchangers and has finally expired through corrosion. I'm happy to remove the heat exchangers as heating is not required. However, I do want to limit exhaust noise and would prefer a system as quiet as possible. I also need to maintain a good ground clearance and a kubel look. I'm currently looking at the EMPI Dual Cannons.
Are these a good option and are they very noisy? Any other suggestions?

Query 2
In keeping with Kubels are 5 stud brake drums as fitted to the 58/65 or 65/67 T1 Beetles a straight swop over for my standard 4 stud drums?

All comments and advice much appreciate..... Very Happy

Last edited by Stefan44 on Fri May 09, 2014 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Replica - Based on a standard RHD 1968 VW Beetle ( Reply with quote

Stefan44 wrote:

However, I have a couple of immediate queries I would appreciate some advice on please:

Query 1
I need to replace the current standard exhaust which has heat exchangers and has finally expired through corrosion. I'm happy to remove the heat exchangers as heating is not required. However, I do want to limit exhaust noise and would prefer a system as quiet as possible. I also need to maintain a good ground clearance and a kubel look. I'm currently looking at the EMPI Dual Cannons.
Are these a good option and are they very noisy? Any other suggestions?

Query 2
In keeping with Kubels are 5 stud brake drums as fitted to the 58/65 or 65/67 T1 Beetles a straight swop over for my standard 4 stud drums?

Query 1, I wouldn't recommend dual cannons to anyone, they cause a noticeable power loss and will soon lose almost all noise reduction capability. Hopefully someone in the UK will see this and advise you on what kind systems are available there which might work.

Query 2. I'm not sure what the specs were on a 68 in the UK but in the US it had a ball joint front suspension and IRS rear. To go from 4X130 to 5X205, its a pretty simple matter of putting on a set of wheel adapters or just swapping your front drums for a pair of 66-67 and rear for a set of 181 Kubel/Thing drums.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1383032

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1422987

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1591040
Stefan44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BL3Manx

Many thanks for your prompt and comprehensive response and advice which is really helpful.

I will certainly follow up the 5x205 brake drum replacement options as I'm not too keen on using spacers...

Luckily, I also have a full set of 5 5stud VW steel rims with good tyres so all makes sense to complete the drum conversion and is in keeping with the Kubel spec.

Anyone else out there able to recommend a good VW Beetle exhaust system that is quiet and has good ground clearance - heaters not necessary... Question

All comments and advice very welcome....
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see some pics of this Kubel, Sounds cool.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, lets see some pictures.

PM my friend manxdavid on here, he's in Liverpool and can give you some recommendations on finding an exhaust in the UK. He can also put you in touch with Mel Hubbard, another friend near Peterborough. Mel has made fiberglass Kubel bodies in the past

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=509180
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the exhaust if you just want a nice quiet life and an authentic look without cutting the rear panel a standard Type 2/Camper system c/w stock tailpipe may suit you best, used with J tubes if you like. For a bit more power maybe a regular single quiet pack type of header and silencer set-up?

To fit 'wide 5' drums to a later car you'll need a set of drums to suit a 66-67 (ie ball joint front end) Beetle. The front drums will fit straight on as long as you use '68 style bearings. To fit the rears you'll need a spacer kit as later splines are longer than the early ones...

http://www.buttysbits.com/straight-axle--irs.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113501615D-Rear-Brake-Dr...417f91a5dc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131405615A-Front-Brake-D...41748da73c

Replace your shoes when you fit new drums, both front and rear drums will suit your 40mm wide shoes.

You can get 'conversion' drums to do the job without the spacer kit but it could work out dearer...

http://www.machine7.com/section.php?xSec=2283
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stefan44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fellas, many thanks for your really helpful replies.

As promised and requested I'll try and work out how to upload some pictures.

However, be aware at the moment its probably the worst kubel replica in the world - but hopefully should give you all a laugh... Very Happy
Stefan44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Manxdavid

Many thanks for your comprehensive advice. I'm hoping to order the 5x20 brake drum conversion parts this week as you suggest.

However, I can't find any links for a suitable T2 type exhaust system. Could you post a link please Question

Also, do you know if Mel Hubbard has any fibreglass kubel bodies or body parts available please Question

Thanks again...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

181/182 ( Trekker in UK) exhaust system is very similar to original Kubelwagen system.
manxdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_Type-2-Bay-1600...D_2226.htm
manxdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the repro Kubels were originally moulded to use as movie cars in war films and also in a James Bond film (can't remember which one but they were in a shot in an underground submarine base I think).

They were originally made and sold by buggy manufacturers GP Speedshops in the 70s. In the 80s they were moulded in Scotland by a company called Fibreteknic and then around 8 or so years ago by Mel.

I can't remember who he sold them to, I'll phone him later and find out if you like but I think the moulds have been offered for sale a few times since then.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Stefan44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Manxdavid, thanks for the info.

If you don't mind then please do phone about the kubel moulds as I would be very interested in them....
Stefan44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 8287111, thanks for your suggestion about a VW Trekker / Thing exhaust which does indeed look about the closest to a kubel exhaust I've yet seen - especially the military Trekker version:

http://www.jbugs.com/product/181251053G.html?Category_Code=vw-thing-stock-exhausts

Anybody know of a UK or EU supplier for these?

I know Kdf cz do a kubel version very similar for about £300:

http://www.kdf.cz/web%20KDF_EN/365.JPG

Will the Trekker or Kubel repro version fit straight onto my 1968 1300 Beetle? Also will it be very noisy and impact on performance?
Stefan44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Pictures - Kubel Replica Project Phase 1 Reply with quote

Hi All, many thanks for all your replies and advice.

As requested and promised I've finally posted some pictures in the Gallery of my VW Kubel replica as bought and in its current state.

Its based on a 1969 RHD VW Beetle 1300 T1. The kubel replica body is constructed on a 20mm & 25mm metal frame mix with wood and metal body panels.

I was told by the previous owner it was originally converted for a film - so if anyone knows its history I would be very interested...

The good news is its reasonably mechanically sound and has just passed its MOT.

I plan to spend upto £2k on the mechanicals, exhaust, wheels & tyres, etc; and upto £2k on a more realistic kubel body, based on a new metal frame and panels - or ideally a fibreglass body / panels if I can get them...

Please keep your comments and advice coming - and all feedback welcome...

Hopefully of interest and some amusement...

If all else fails - I'll buy a Beach Buggy body and fit that... Very Happy
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures - Kubel Replica Project Phase 1 Reply with quote

Stefan44 wrote:
As requested and promised I've finally posted some pictures in the Gallery of my VW Kubel replica as bought and in its current state.

Its based on a 1969 RHD VW Beetle 1300 T1. The kubel replica body is constructed on a 20mm & 25mm metal frame mix with wood and metal body panels.

That's pretty cool. I'd keep the body as it is and just tell everyone it was rumored to be in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
volksrod68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certain the Kubel moulds are now in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK.

The guy has them in his garage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: