Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any of you have a dashcam?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Any of you have a dashcam? Reply with quote

Good read: "6 Reasons You Should Own a Dashcam"
http://cameras.reviewed.com/features/6-reasons-you...recirc_top

The only insurance claims I have made are three times (all when driving my VW) when someone backed into me. I collected without a fuss from the offender. I had more trouble dealing with the other driver's insurance company. Next time I might wish I had a dashcam.

I think it would be a good idea to have dashcams pointing in different directions to record what the cops do when they pull you over. See the article comment by Muleagain on that same subject.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea.
I am not a electronic person so some of what is in article is beyond what I know.
How long will they record for?
Battery life?
It is only a card you record on or can you connect to a external hard drive?
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paranoia
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ indeed.

Act like a human to Law Enforcement, Act like human after a car accident, Act like a human who is not obsessed with others' actions- it's worked for decades before dashcams for me.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
^^^ indeed.

Act like a human to Law Enforcement, Act like human after a car accident, Act like a human who is not obsessed with others' actions- it's worked for decades before dashcams for me.

Unlike most of your posts, I disagree on this one. It doesn't work that way in today's age. As John Prine says, "Some humans ain't human..." and it's an unfortunate reality. By and large, people will take what they can, when they can... Especially when you act human and especially if something of value is involved. There's more takers than givers.

This may be off topic, but is an excellent proof of today's world:

I needed a jump last sunday in the bus, I found a woman in the parking lot and asked her like a human (with cables in my hand) if she'd be willing to help me. You know what she said? "Sorry I need to get to church."

So mount the dash cam and cover your ass. I think it's a fantastic idea.
camaroboi13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat at a gas station with jumper cables in my hand for 40 minutes and asked no less than 25 people, saw no less than 65 people come and go. The person who bailed me out? My wife, who had to take off work early to come help me. Chivalry is dead.

FFL GUN DEALER! PM ME FOR SOCAL TRANSFERS!
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camaroboi13 wrote:
I sat at a gas station with jumper cables in my hand for 40 minutes and asked no less than 25 people, saw no less than 65 people come and go. The person who bailed me out? My wife, who had to take off work early to come help me. Chivalry is dead.

Its not dead, its just hard to find.

I had a battery/regulator problem in my squareback for a bit and it wouldnt start a few times. Almost every time I tried to push start it, somebody would come help me. Except at school, nobody tried to help me at school.

I always try to help people, once I stopped to help out my new neighbor who had run out of gas, he ended up getting me a job at the company I worked for because he was so grateful. Chivalry pays off.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camaroboi13 wrote:
Hmm... Do you have a really lowered car? Patina/rat look? Offensive stickers/decals displayed? Tattoos? 3 day beard? POW haircut? Baggy pants? T-shirt with sketchey logos? Visible weapon (Buck knife, etc)? Any combination there of? Just wondering. Smile
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camaroboi13 wrote:

THAT is messed up.
I was at a servo (Australian for 'gas station') yesterday evening and two women were pulled up out front with the bonnet up on their old Commodore fiddling around in the front. I went and ASKED if they were okay and the one holding her iphone out as a torch for the other one told me I was the first person to offer a hand in the 20 minutes they'd been fiddling about. The other lady said thanks, but she knew what she was doing. I also knew what she was doing- replacing a headlight globe- but she was doing it the hard way.

I left them to it after wishing them luck, but I suspect some of the reluctance people have to help those who are stranded is to do with people not knowing anything about fixing things anymore, and some of it is fear of strangers. I once fixed a beetle on the side of the road where the mother and daughter were about to get towed because the NRMA guy couldn't see that the fuel pump outlet had fallen off the mechanical pump. Common problem. Lucky they didn't burst into flames- but after jury rigging it with ties and roughing up the knurling a bit they were on the way again with a warning to get a new pump as before they drove it again. I love stopping to help people. Unless they're the walking dead and want to eat my brains. Or they're Christians in a broken down bus singing folk songs.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to treat law enforcement and first responders with the upmost respect they deserve..

Like it or not.. Cameras... are a part of modern society these days... ..
Do we need them on our daily driver cars.. not really, but Truckers these days are using them more and more..
If some douchemonkey creates an incident by being a jerkoff driver.. a video of the event in front of you would be handy..

It may not be a video camera rolling at all times... but I do have a camera with me at all times...

Its coming... .. Its just a matter of time before Insurance Companies will offer discounts for people with video cameras rolling while rolling..

1 to possibly keep the driver in a more conscious state of mind byknowing they are being recorded..
2 to offer an insight to accidents..

Nobody wants to be involved as live witnesses these days...

Related topic.. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587521

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaosisme wrote:
camaroboi13 wrote:

Its not dead, its just hard to find.

I had a battery/regulator problem in my squareback for a bit and it wouldnt start a few times. Almost every time I tried to push start it, somebody would come help me. Except at school, nobody tried to help me at school.

I always try to help people, once I stopped to help out my new neighbor who had run out of gas, he ended up getting me a job at the company I worked for because he was so grateful. Chivalry pays off.

I think location is a huge factor in this
I have lived in small town and in the big towns/city in this state and the friendliness of the average person really changes from each one

as far as the camera thing goes- if someone is enough of a dick to try a weasel out of their responsibilities when there are no cameras they definitely will try and find some way to get out of it when there is one filming them

plus there are laws in most states against filming people without permission and/or posted notice
companies aka truck drivers can get around these laws but the average person probably can't once they are in a public place

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
It doesn't work that way in today's age. As John Prine says, "Some humans ain't human..." and it's an unfortunate reality. By and large, people will take what they can, when they can... Especially when you act human and especially if something of value is involved. There's more takers than givers.

Point taken. I do forget too often that I live in a pretty friendly community up here in ID. I've never waited long when (even not really) stranded before a passerby has offered help. We definitely enjoy more of a Good Samaritan general attitude up here- but I have heard of those stung and worse, truly victimized.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting one, since I am getting tired of Ahole drivers and stupid cyclists and motorcyclists cutting me off. Funny thing all the Ahole cyclists and motor cyclists have one on their helmet or/back of their bike. Honestly, I don't have a problem with LE.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Its coming... .1 to possibly keep the driver in a more conscious state of mind byknowing they are being recorded..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzlg3oQMze4

Ya right Wink knowing you might be under surveillance would cause you to be a better driver Laughing

Do red light cameras and photo tickets deter drivers?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. ive noticed that nothing really happens while it is on. so it stays on.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
I don't think so. Everyone keeps driving anyway.
BG Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE have cameras now on us inside the locomotive cabs.We,ve had out forward facing cameras for quite some time.Along with black box recorders.Basicaly to protect the companys liability and to monitor us for "rules compliance" If you get injured or there'.s an incident they have no problems sitting through hours of tape to find a reason to fire you.Ask to see them for our own defense and were told nope ,too expensive to download. For now they tell us they don't record sound.At least until some manager wants to know what were saying about them
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a dash cam is sort of like having a seat belt, camber compensator, or car insurance. You may drive for 20 years or more and never need it, but when you do you'll be glad it's there.

I do enjoy watching the videos from the Russian dash Cams on Youtube. I like to watch them everytime someone trys to convince me that they are safe driving an old beetle because they have skill. Lots of innocent people in those videos get mowed down, plowed into, and seriously have their life turned upside down while simply going about their business in a lawful way.
(if you havn't seen them, just go to youtube and search russian dash cam)

Things happen fast and having a dash can can be a really good way to keep your side of the story accurate when you need it to stay that way.
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
I don't think so. Everyone keeps driving anyway.

yup. it's like they say: despite the high cost of living these days people still seem to prefer it to the alternative Very Happy
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzlg3oQMze4

That's awesome, Karma got Two Douchebags with one stone. Laughing

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: