Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Realistic Career Choice?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samsquanch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Realistic Career Choice? Reply with quote

I live in Minneapolis! I'm extremely interested in air cooled vehicles and their simplicity compared to the rest of the car world. Ive always had an interest in cars so I'm looking into maybe making it a career... I would love to specialize in VWs and similar classics. Do you have any suggestions of where to start. I dont currently own a VW.

I work retail right now and would love to get out of it. I'm in my early 20's and my current job (Apple) offers flexibility with the time aspect.

I've asked around a bit on some of the local shops and who offers what. Do shops generally do internships with inexperienced passionate young adults? I would like to have an idea of what to present and ask if I were to walk into a shop looking for work...

Any suggestions or comments?
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this thread it has all the reasons why a aircooled vw is not a very realistic career choice

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551528&highlight=career+mechanic

Its a hard life to be any kind of mechanic the pay is not as good as most think it is and it is rough on your body

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
samsquanch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks joe56vw!

That helped a lot...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW's are dying steadily and I would never consider a career choice for a 20 something year old man that will provide a living 30-40 years into the future . If I were young again I'd move to the Carolina's and heavily pursue a job in a NASCAR shop.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Realistic Career Choice? Reply with quote

samsquanch wrote:
I live in Minneapolis! I'm extremely interested in air cooled vehicles and their simplicity compared to the rest of the car world. Ive always had an interest in cars so I'm looking into maybe making it a career... I would love to specialize in VWs and similar classics. Do you have any suggestions of where to start. I dont currently own a VW.

I work retail right now and would love to get out of it. I'm in my early 20's and my current job (Apple) offers flexibility with the time aspect.

I've asked around a bit on some of the local shops and who offers what. Do shops generally do internships with inexperienced passionate young adults? I would like to have an idea of what to present and ask if I were to walk into a shop looking for work...

Go to college and be a Pharmacist! Them baby boomers are getting old and Pharmacists make really good money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grey60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no direction coming out of high school and barely much more after college. But I knew how to type, thanks to advice I got from my 8th grade history teacher. Typing got me a low-level clerical job, which within a few years got me into computers. (This was back in the 80s, dawn of Internet.)

I've done fairly well for myself in the field, but personally I think it's been heading for a major watershed period as more and more computation is centralized or off-shored, sent to the Cloud, etc..

My advice? Look for a field you 1) like, 2) in which you excel, 3) that pays well.

It's anecdotal, but if you can't do what you love, at least do something you like that will pay the bills and let you do what you love outside work.

Note: The world doesn't need any more lawyers or marketing people. Seriously.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Realistic Career Choice? Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
Go to college and be a Pharmacist! Them baby boomers are getting old and Pharmacists make really good money.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just don't sample the merchandise.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're at Apple? That's one of the hottest jobs in retailing. Stay put, at least for now. Get a few years in at Apple (decent pay, good benefits, profit sharing, stock plan, etc.) then with that on your resume go do whatever you want to do.

Employers will jump at an ex-Apple employee, you'll have your choice of positions down the road.

As far as working on air-cooled, it's like an old book I read about beekeeping. It said "A man can make a good living keeping bees, but for the time and effort involved, he can make a better living doing almost anything else."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice for somebody looking to specialize in ACVWs? Sure!

1) Find a good covered doorway for an out-of-the-way business that closes early. Having a good, dry place to sleep is important.

2) The local library will let you use their bathrooms and hang out during the day. You can even use their computers.

3) Be aware of the local vagrancy laws.

4) Locate the nearest food bank and be aware of their hours and policies.

Hope this helps!

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
Read this thread it has all the reasons why a aircooled vw is not a very realistic career choice

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551528&highlight=career+mechanic

Its a hard life to be any kind of mechanic the pay is not as good as most think it is and it is rough on your body

^^^^^this

if you love cars, you won't after working on them for long (i'm 35 and have been at it for over 20 years) i am falling apart...click and rattles like a 80 year old tons and tons invested in tools etc....

do i love it?

yea, in a twisted way i do. if you have no automotive background you will be a tire a lube grunt. it sucks.

unless you find a small mom and pop shop that will see the potential you may (or may not) have any dealer is going to look at you like a warm body to fill the spot...tech's are like paper towels to most shops

it really is a shitty way to make a living, and on your best day, you *may* make 70k a year. ASE/ICAR etc don't mean shit (to me...other than you can pass a test) i am a shitty test taker, but blow my co workers out of the water in repairs/finding work arounds etc.

as far as classic repair goes, most people own them because they can work on them. the only people that can't work on them bought them at barret-jackson, or are just yuppies.

you will be able to make a living, but not really a killing if that's what you're looking for

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
joe56vw wrote:

^^^^^this

if you love cars, you won't after working on them for long (i'm 35 and have been at it for over 20 years) i am falling apart...click and rattles like a 80 year old tons and tons invested in tools etc....

do i love it?

yea, in a twisted way i do. if you have no automotive background you will be a tire a lube grunt. it sucks.

unless you find a small mom and pop shop that will see the potential you may (or may not) have any dealer is going to look at you like a warm body to fill the spot...tech's are like paper towels to most shops

it really is a shitty way to make a living, and on your best day, you *may* make 70k a year. ASE/ICAR etc don't mean shit (to me...other than you can pass a test) i am a shitty test taker, but blow my co workers out of the water in repairs/finding work arounds etc.

as far as classic repair goes, most people own them because they can work on them. the only people that can't work on them bought them at barret-jackson, or are just yuppies.

you will be able to make a living, but not really a killing if that's what you're looking for

x 1000 on this after 23 years of working on cars and having to keep a day job (mostly parts counter and warehouse work) I am in the process of becoming legally disabled so I can be retrained to do a desk job or something like that
both my knees are shot and my back is fucked the doc said I have the knees of a 70 YO and i'm not even 40 yet Shocked

there was a time during the late 90's/early 2000's were me and my buddy had so much work we had a 3-6 month wait on some projects/customers builds
over the last few years I have made more money on selling off my cars and parts stash then I have wrenching on peoples cars
my friend who train me and has work on aircooled vws for 30+ years rarely even touches a aircooled cars anymore

I know several guys who make a good living on aircooled vws but they also have 10-20+ years into them already
I doubt most of them would be doing so good if they had to start their careers today

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny makes a living working on/lubing poor peoples cars,trucks,motorcycles etc out of his home charging $30/hour. He even repaired & painted my wife's Trooper for $750 there in his 1 car garage/shop. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he a legal shop or just some dude working out of his home shed? Big difference...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grey60 wrote:

It's anecdotal, but if you can't do what you love, at least do something you like that will pay the bills and let you do what you love outside work.

Note: The world doesn't need any more lawyers or marketing people. Seriously.

I agree with everything here x500. My job aint glamourous, but it pays well, has a shit ton of vacation time, paid health care, and I make enough to have fun on my off time.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say do what calls you, office work is a special kind of hell that forces you to buy crap that approximates happiness for 10 seconds. I have plenty of work coming into my shop and hire/train younger folk from time to time. They have all made money with the skills. Life skills are what you make of them, ignore all other "analysis". I've been at it for 30 years, still love it and have a mechanic in his 70's still going strong.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Realistic Career Choice? Reply with quote

samsquanch wrote:

How nice of Apple to offer you flexibility with your time. Time is that one thing you can't get back. Better that you try to control how you allocate your time rather than having a fruit do it. Use your energy while you have it to become self employed, speak your mind, stick by your principles, trust trustworthy people.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe it's like cooking. I love to cook, I love to tinker. but if I had to do either for living, it would suck the soul out of me.

Other hand, I had a neighbor who was a seriously pro mechanic. Started with Packard, ended with Chrysler. told me he felt like he found his calling. Loved every busted knuckle of it, and made a decent living. If it wasn't for Les letting me wrench on that straight 8 when I was about 6, I'm not sure I would know which end of the screwdriver to hold.

Can't hurt to try, do it while you're young. Hell, do 10 different things. You get a mortgage and a kid, you better have it figured out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer wrote:
Advice for somebody looking to specialize in ACVWs? Sure!

1) Find a good covered doorway for an out-of-the-way business that closes early. Having a good, dry place to sleep is important.

2) The local library will let you use their bathrooms and hang out during the day. You can even use their computers.

3) Be aware of the local vagrancy laws.

4) Locate the nearest food bank and be aware of their hours and policies.

Hope this helps!

Hawaii, is warm so that base is covered.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think I wanted to work outside. One day while in my late 20's while working with a patient (I work in a hospital), I was small talking with a family member. The topic of jobs came up and he ran a construction business. I said something like "I always wanted to work outside." He replied "Son, stay inside in the air-conditioning. You'll be glad you did when you get to be my age." (He was probably in his 50's). Turns out, he was right - for me, anyway. Outside and working on my bug is a hobby - I work to pay for my hobbies (as well as other things).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a heavy equipment mechanic for over 30 years.. its physically and mentally stimulating whether your 20 or 50..at my current age it keeps the joints active and muscle tone up.Just pick a segment of the field that pays well,for instance heavy equipment (CAT iron ect) pays well so you can do aircooled when you want..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: