Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manxter Exhaust ?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Manxter Exhaust ? Reply with quote

Hi all

Most of VW powered MANXTERs come with the basic Empi Dual Outlet exhaust or the Manx sidewinder. But both are loud, very loud...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am looking for a QUIET exhaust to install on a street Manxter powered by a 2.0 liters type 1 VW engine...

I saw the TRI-MIL Bobtail (Baja Quiet) :

There are also all the street sidewinders available :

I will be very happy to have your feedback about about the possibility of installation of the exhaust on the Manxter and particularly issues of interference with the rear bumper of the Manxter
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a Manx Sidewinder and no-way would I call it loud. One of the main causes of exhaust noise is not muffler/header style but camshaft overlap. The wilder the cam the 'raspier' the exhaust note.

I wouldn't say that my Sidewinder was any louder than the Tri-Mill quiet pack that it replaced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to replace whatever muffler that's on the Sidewinder/Tri-Mil (probably a glass pack) with a modern muffler such as a carbon fiber Hayabusa motorcycle type.

It might mean welding a flange to the collector to mount the muffler. Start with a raw muffler and have it ceramic coated after.

pat72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@manxdavid :
Yes I agree with you. It also depends on the compression ratio of the engine.
A low comp. mexico 1600 cc won't be loud, even with the Manx exhaust.
BTW I think that you agree that the Manx muffler cannot (physically) have the same noise reduction system (it's a small muffler)

@BL3Manx :
Actually, the Manx exhaust is not available with flange, the muffler is welded.
I was told that motorcycle exhausts are not a good option for VW engines because our motors have more CC than motorcycles and they cannot void all the gaz volume on a strong VW engine (there are not a lot of 1600cc + motorbikes !)

Any feedback with the Bobtail on a Manxter ?
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Manx Sidewinder on my 1600, and I considered it obnoxiously loud. Stock carb, cam, everything. I had a Supertrapp welded onto the end, but it still made too much noise. I eventually replaced the Sidewinder with an EMPI Baja style exhaust with Quiet Pack muffler, and the noise was dramatically reduced. A side benefit was low end power went up considerably.

Lee
wvbowtieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run the Tri Mill 1.50" with the quiet pack muffler. Idles and cruises with a nice tone but gets just a little aggressive when you open it up. I run a 1835 with 110 Engle cam.

manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wvbowtieman wrote:
I run the Tri Mill 1.50" with the quiet pack muffler. Idles and cruises with a nice tone but gets just a little aggressive when you open it up. I run a 1835 with 110 Engle cam.

That's the system that I used to run before my Sidewinder. I'd say noise output's about the same but the Tri Mill has a lower exhaust note.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pat72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big doubt that the Trimill will fit with the Manxter rear bars...
What do you think about that ?

Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat72 wrote:
I was told that motorcycle exhausts are not a good option for VW engines because our motors have more CC than motorcycles and they cannot void all the gaz volume on a strong VW engine (there are not a lot of 1600cc + motorbikes !)

That's a pretty apples to oranges comparison there. Most modern 4 cylinder sport bikes are making about 150hp/liter of displacement. Most normally aspirated VW's on the street are making anywhere from 45 to 75 per liter. Most of these bikes will turn 13,000 + RPM, ALL have 4 valves or more per cylinder and most have ram air induction to increase power. Compare that with our quaint little antique engines, and you can see that a straight cc to cc comparison means nothing.

Modern sport bike engines are damn near F1 technology for pennies (hell, pocket lint really) and the mufflers they have are designed to meet DOT mandated noise levels yet still not choke the performance out of them. Most of the bigger bikes over 1000cc will use dual mufflers and these are one of the very first things to get yanked off to a lighter, zoomier system. Call around some bike shops and you can probably find some stainless or titanium mufflers far cheaper than you'd imagine.

I had a Yoshimura carbon fiber muffler on street bug and it looked and sounded SWEET.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1-liter bike muffler will flow way more exhaust air at 12k RPM than a VW engine will vent at 5k RPM...

bnc
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you guys saying that certain type of headers cut down own your cc. Dose mine cause backflow problems?
Pat72 dont mean to highjack your page

My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
FarmerJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a super trap spark arrestor on the end of my sidewinder and it quieted it down nicely

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat72 wrote:
Most of VW powered MANXTERs come with the basic Empi Dual Outlet exhaust or the Manx sidewinder

I'm amazed that anyone would invest the work and money to build a Manxter and then put on something as inefficient as a dual shotgun system on a 4 cylinder boxer engine.

Bob Elgin wrote:
So are you guys saying that certain type of headers cut down own your cc. Dose mine cause backflow problems?

CCs are a measure of the volume displaced by the piston. It is absolutely determined by the physical dimensions of your engine, not by your exhaust.

However, what you are talking about is volumetric efficiency and yes it can be increased or reduced by header design.

Assuming there are no unusual obstructions caused by a broken baffle, etc., I would say your 4 into 1 collector header system improves the scavenging and flow of your engine better than a stock exhaust system and certainly better than a dual shotgun type system.

Why are you concerned? If its not running right and you need troubleshooting help, you should probably start a new thread.
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FarmerJohn wrote:
I put a super trap spark arrestor on the end of my sidewinder and it quieted it down nicely

John - I just did this, and it certainly quieted the sidewinder down. I used 6 discs but have 6 extra. How many did you use?

Thanks,
Scott
Manxter #122
First time, garage built, and living out the childhood dream of owning a life-size Hotwheel!

Check out my build thread-->My Manxter 2+2
pat72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
I'm amazed that anyone would invest the work and money to build a Manxter and then put on something as inefficient as a dual shotgun system on a 4 cylinder boxer engine.

May be because a Manxter project is always an expensive project and a cheap exhaust is a way to artificially reduce the bill ?

Alternatively, it could be the same problem as mine : the difficulty to find an exhaust system that is compatible with the rear tubes / bumper of the Manxter (see pix at top of the thread)
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: TriMil & Manxter Rear Bumper Reply with quote

pat72 wrote:
I have a big doubt that the Trimill will fit with the Manxter rear bars...
What do you think about that ?

Anyone run a trimil with the manxter rear bumpers?

That is what I have planned to do but if it won't fit I would love to know. I read that the rear is somewhat adjustable during initial installation but I would love real world experience if anyone has any with this set up.
dbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter Exhaust ? Reply with quote

Wife wanted quiet..
#127 Manxter - 99.5% done....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: