Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Ghia Restoration in Tulsa
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mastershredder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a couple of months but we have made slow progress. We dropped the donor engine and are now in the degreasing stage. I managed to do a decent filler section on the rear quarter panel. Currently we are spraying the areas weve worked on in black primer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger side window area

Something weird going on with my doors, as I have heard the hinges go bad and create door-sag, I am considering a house of ghia rebuild or similar method. Any ideas?

The way the doors fit makes me feel like they arent correct for the year or the body is warped. Can anyone confirm?

The opposite side looks about the same on the body side but needs work

Questions? Comments? Ive really loved working on this car
lxu5008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the car has suffered from a rear hit that caused the center of vehicle to bend up and possibly in, while the back bends down. This is not a easy fix. Personally, I would look for any filler to analyze the extent of the hit to find any other irregularities. Then my recommendation would to be redo the rocker panels because they seem to be shortened or the gap between the rear quarter skin and the rocker is too short should be about a 1/4 of an inch). Make sure you support the rest of the body in the proper area's so the door actually close.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxu5008 wrote:
It appears that the car has suffered from a rear hit that caused the center of vehicle to bend up and possibly in, while the back bends down. This is not a easy fix. Personally, I would look for any filler to analyze the extent of the hit to find any other irregularities. Then my recommendation would to be redo the rocker panels because they seem to be shortened or the gap between the rear quarter skin and the rocker is too short should be about a 1/4 of an inch). Make sure you support the rest of the body in the proper area's so the door actually close.

Ouch!
I bet that's not exactly what he wanted to hear.

... but very helpful, none the less.

The extent of the advice I had to offer was thinking about pointing out the Karmann Ghia Body Shop Manual that can be found here in The Samba under the Technical Tab (in the Karmann Ghia owner's manual section, under the 1960 model year) because I believe there is a section on alignment of the doors.
After looking at the pictures again, it seems like both doors are probably out of any range of simple adjustment, however.

If I'm not mistaken, when the Ghias were produced there was some individual "tuning" of the door gaps with molten pewter so that the doors from one Ghia may not simply bolt up with correct gaps on a different Ghia.
Maybe he could get away with modifying the door and/or the opening enough rather than replacing the rockers again if they are not currently rusted out.

I suppose a lot depends on just how "accurate" and/or expensive he wants the restoration to be.
mastershredder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rocker panels have been replaced as well as the floors, I had considered the rear end collision. We are going to compare the doors we have to a second set that came with the car. I'm hoping that they will at least be able to open and shut properly. The goal behind this resto is simply to get it running and driving for fun. We lack the resources to do a show car quality job on it. More updates soon!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: body Reply with quote

We have had an awful time with our doors. We suspected it got hit or torqued weird during being towed at some point. They were wonky when we got it and we are finally investigating.

I measured a few passenger side body openings on a friend's ghia today. The green arrow in this diagram I made measured about 13.5 inches on his. On ours it was 12 inches. Purple arrow measured 37.75 inches on his. Ours was 37 inches.

Another thought,
Did the window opening change size throughout the years? His is earlier than ours.

Diagram is not to scale Laughing

Any ideas or advice is very appreciated!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
varagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 73, but it's a convertible. I'm in SE Kansas, but could take some measurements for you if you want.
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW workshop manuals used to detail how to change the rear of the door gap by adding shims to the rear-most body mount where it joins to the shock mount. I'm pretty sure it's been documented on here recently. Kiwighia68 mentioned doing it in his thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=20
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

varagon wrote:
I have a 73, but it's a convertible. I'm in SE Kansas, but could take some measurements for you if you want.

Please! That would be extremely helpful Razz Thanks!!

carl4x4 wrote:
The VW workshop manuals used to detail how to change the rear of the door gap by adding shims to the rear-most body mount where it joins to the shock mount. I'm pretty sure it's been documented on here recently. Kiwighia68 mentioned doing it in his thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=20

Thank you, when I have a free moment I will check out the thread!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: