Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good welder?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Good welder? Reply with quote

Opinions on this welder

http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/tld/4391393630.html

It's 115v, I may go pick it up this weekend. I need it for bodywork on a Ghia.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No good for welding sheet metal unless it has the gas shielding tanks attached to it. Look for a Hobart 140 or similar welder.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that price range, I'd suggest the Eastwood 135
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
In that price range, I'd suggest the Eastwood 135

X2
retterath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Eastwood 135. Spring for a tank of gas and it should do just about everything you need.
robot909
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That welder is junk. Look for a used brand name like Hobart or Miller. Etc
Shielding gas is super to have.

-1964 micro
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, found a Hobart 140 that a guy is selling for $300 with the tank and regulator.

robot909
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!!
Hobart is great! Serviceable and quality made.
My Hobart is pretty old (avocado color and made in Denmark) but works great.

-1964 micro
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suggest a welder with infinite voltage settings like a Miller or a small Century. HTP makes some interesting looking products with lots of voltage settings but not infinite. I have had a 155GS for over ten years with no problems.
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had unlimited cash flow I would also recommend a nice infinite adjustable Miller. The auto-set is a nice feature to have.

I went with this Lincoln kit from Home Depot. Had it shipped to the house, add a bottle and you're good to go.
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Htp and Century are not Miller welders. I looked at Lincolns and I can't see where the money is spent to make them cost more than a Clarke. The tension adjuster is down right cheap and the rollers are not knurled. Shocked With lincolns and MIller/Hobarts their guns will not take tweco accessories so you have to change to whole gun or be limited to ONE Nozzle type that is 4 times the price of a tweco. Tweco rules. I only like miller because it is the only highend welder with infinite voltage adjustment. I talked to Hobart specifically why their welders have so few voltage settings and they gave me a line of bull shit that it is overkill. I was going to buy an ironman but that conversation talked me out of it. I find it is hard not to slightly overheat sheet metal or move too fast in which the bead does not flatten out even with a infinite voltage adjustment so I would not go with a welder with a small amount of settings. Almost all of the sheetmetal welds I see are slightly overheated on anyones work.
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you know a Miller rep. Wink Being in the rust belt where are you located? Better late than never right. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for the Eastwood 135. I have used a miller or two....snd while they are just about the best out there....If you are only really doing a car or two....its not worth the very high cost.
The hobart 140 is very well made. I have used one.....but itdoesnt hold a candle to the adjustability of the Eastwodd 135....which has infinite voltage and wire speed......and is mig so it comes with gas shield.
I picked mine up in a package deal from Eastwood....with a decent helmet and a basic cart for about $390. They run this special all the time. It works very well.....and is perfect for sheet metal.
And....the Eastwood gun takes 100% tweco parts and accessories, spool guns etc. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at that one yesterday. Looks pretty nice. A neighbor of mine is building an old Harley and suggested it.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hobart Handler 140 is an awesome welder for sheet metal. Best deals on them are at TSC if you have one near you.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just sold my Eastwood 135 and I REGRET it since I've found myself needing to do some additional welding recently. Soooo... I'm about to buy ANOTHER one.
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bump for the Eastwood 135!

It's the best for your buck in my opinion. Infinite voltage adjustment is what you need for sheet metal and you won't find that on any other welder in its price range.

Mine died a few months after purchase, and Eastwood shipped the replacement to my door in a week. Then the gas hose started to leak at a fitting, and they had a new gas hose on my door step in ten days. All covered under their 3-year warranty, plus I got a free metal thickness gauge just for registering the warranty online.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noslocars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an Eastwood 175. I was going to go with the 135 but everyone that was into welding said to go with the bigger 175 or i would end up buying 2. I have to say I love it and it works great!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have gone with the 175....but I just dont have the amps in my garage.....and my house is a rental so im not likely to get them. I can use the 135 all the way up its dial. I just dont have anything that needs to be welded over 3/16" anyway.

So far its just been excellent. Very good control. The guys at my local welding supy noted that probably if anything at all should be upgraded on it....and only if you start getting into delicate work that requires it....would be to get a more accurate gas regulator and gauge set. But for everything so far....its excellent. Ray
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
I only like miller because it is the only highend welder with infinite voltage adjustment. I talked to Hobart specifically why their welders have so few voltage settings and they gave me a line of bull shit that it is overkill. I was going to buy an ironman but that conversation talked me out of it. I find it is hard not to slightly overheat sheet metal or move too fast in which the bead does not flatten out even with a infinite voltage adjustment so I would not go with a welder with a small amount of settings. Almost all of the sheetmetal welds I see are slightly overheated on anyones work.

Yes I agree the lincoln 140t, and eastwood 135 (very similar) are better for sheetmetal work. The 140t has infinite control, as did it's ancestors.
IMo the hobby trasnformer mig welder was perfected 15 years ago, nothing has changed except who puts what in what color box.

The hobart and miller 130,135,140,175,180, 190....... are different design of power supply. Center tap output. More efficient, so MORE power available but less fine tuning. Miller's first attempt at infinite control was disappointing. They have been working on it for years but I think they should have just left it as it was; 4 tap settings Laughing Which is what the hobart IS
These have a particular character and guys either love it or don't. I like em, but I think I am the minority.
One thing that should be agreed, the 175/180/190 models SUCK to do sheetmetal. Like using a 5 pound hammer to build a dollhouse. Shocked
Ray...........you'r better off with the little one Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: