Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good welder?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you suspect a liner issue ;birdnesting the wire, push or pull the wire through the liner by hand to see if it binds. I had a roll of Hobart wire once that was wound all goofy so it would not unroll easily.

Hey ,aren't the pulse migs for welding thin aluminum or welding thick aluminum upside down? The estab one is 5k ,is it not?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the little roller wheel, liner, or tip. Older miller they came with a knerled roller........which some will say is for flux core only, but will do solid wire ok if you make sure not to use excess tension. Too much tension and it cuts little teeth in the wire which makes you go though tips fast. And old dusty/rusty wire will go though tips fast too. I'm not sure what they will give you for a replacement feed wheel........but it does not really matter, both kinds work fine.

Pulse MIG for aluminum?? I really don't know.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the pulse for aluminum when running the spool gun and aluminum wire on my Esab machine; it allows me to not have to travel so fast. If I'm doing thin steel or stainless with the standard mig torch, the pulse lets you get excellent weld penetration without a lot of heat buildup and burn through.
The Esab 260 multi master was under 2k when I bought it. Adding the pulse module and inductance control were around $240 each. The spool gun is another $400, I love it as I can have it loaded with thin wire for sheet metal and leave the 035 on the big spool. Plus it has a 30' lead, which is much easier to drag around the shop than the whole machine.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the miller not feeding, check the drive roller to see if there is another groove. Some of the 110 volt entry level machines have two grooves in the feed roller. One is for .035 and the other is for .028 wire, and you have to loosen the bolt and flip the roller around so the correct groove is getting 'traction' on the wire. Check it out. SOmetimes the paper label on the smaller spools gets bound in the tension nut too, make sure it's free and not too tight. Worst case the liner got kinked. They aren't too hard to pull out to check, I've done it and straightened one enough that it worked ok.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
On the miller not feeding, check the drive roller to see if there is another groove. Some of the 110 volt entry level machines have two grooves in the feed roller. One is for .035 and the other is for .028 wire, and you have to loosen the bolt and flip the roller around so the correct groove is getting 'traction' on the wire. Check it out. SOmetimes the paper label on the smaller spools gets bound in the tension nut too, make sure it's free and not too tight. Worst case the liner got kinked. They aren't too hard to pull out to check, I've done it and straightened one enough that it worked ok.

X2....the Eastwood and most of the others listed here have two grooves. They also warn against over and under tightening the drive roller.
The guys at the local Praxair dealer noted that when setting up the drive roller tension.....to leave it as loose as possible then put the gun sheath in a tight loop....not a kink but jut enough so that there will be maximum wall contact or friction against the wire inside the sleeve. Then while squeezing the trigger alternately tighten the roller until it just feeds and give it a slight further tweak.

The object being to only put a little more tension than necessary to keep from causing excessive wear to the roller.

Also.....others have noted that you should always use good well known brands/quality of wire. Using cheap or no name brands of wire you can get wire cross section that is out of spec....or has variations in it....thick and thin which can cause feed problems. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
esde wrote:

X2....the Eastwood and most of the others listed here have two grooves. They also warn against over and under tightening the drive roller.
The guys at the local Praxair dealer noted that when setting up the drive roller tension.....to leave it as loose as possible then put the gun sheath in a tight loop....not a kink but jut enough so that there will be maximum wall contact or friction against the wire inside the sleeve. Then while squeezing the trigger alternately tighten the roller until it just feeds and give it a slight further tweak.

The object being to only put a little more tension than necessary to keep from causing excessive wear to the roller.

Also.....others have noted that you should always use good well known brands/quality of wire. Using cheap or no name brands of wire you can get wire cross section that is out of spec....or has variations in it....thick and thin which can cause feed problems. Ray

thanks a lot. Very Happy
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, they did not have two grooves in 1991, just one kind of roller.
The dealer may be able to retrofit a smooth roller for solid wire, they came out with em in the mid 2000's. guy at dealer may be too young to know tho
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Sorry guys, they did not have two grooves in 1991, just one kind of roller.
The dealer may be able to retrofit a smooth roller for solid wire, they came out with em in the mid 2000's. guy at dealer may be too young to know tho

Damn!....another beautiful theory....slain by an ugly fact. .... Wink
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, make sure the drive wheel is the right size for your wire. I assume you dropped down on the wire size when you added gas. The .028 will slip through a .035 drive wheel, be it smooth or serrated.
Jsg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hobart 140 Handler and am very pleased with it. Great quality for the price. The only comment I would make is that they no longer come with a drive wheel to handle .024 wire. They used to apparently but now you have to purchase that additionally. Just a FYI for anyone purchasing one.
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Good welder? Reply with quote

Did the Eastwood 135 that everyone is recommending get re-branded as Eastwood 140?

I don't see a 135 anywhere in their website

Overlanding the USA
Camper special engine build
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsg wrote:
I have a Hobart 140 Handler and am very pleased with it. Great quality for the price. The only comment I would make is that they no longer come with a drive wheel to handle .024 wire. They used to apparently but now you have to purchase that additionally. Just a FYI for anyone purchasing one.

For what it's worth, I have a relatively new (3 years old) Handler in my arsenal and it does come with a multi-stage drive roll that handles .023 (.024). And it just does what it does, throws down sweet beads all day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: