Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Shaft Broke....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Steering Shaft Broke.... Reply with quote

that was exciting and I was incredibly luck when it happened, I it the brakes and veered right into an empty parking spot. The day before I had put over 100 highway miles on it. You guys are lucky because the day before I would be dead and haunting every one of you guys Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ended up going home to get my truck and tow bar to get it home. I had a shop weld the broken section as best they could so I could get it into the garage last night. Obviously I'm not going to drive it tacked together and tempt fate again.

I have a few options 1) I have located a local replacement that is exactly like what I had, Just not broken.

2) I'm open to suggestions. Should I look at a solid bar or is there something else to look into?

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tilt!
167luckycharm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
I'd say that the highway gods have smiled down upon you and granted you the most luck in that you were able safely pull over in a clear spot, without hitting anything or causing any sideline accidents. Rubber underwear is the dress code of the day!
Unbelievable, that we rely on such thin metal between the steering shaft and steering box. This is the reason I chose the solid shaft versus the collapse-able version. I had to shorten mine a few inches, but made sure that it was perfectly aligned between the steering box and the bearing under the turn signal assembly. I modified the steering box clamp by adjusting the location of the two notches that mate up against the nubs on the beam. This way, there's a straight line from the shaft of the box, through the rag joint, and to the steering wheel mount. My concern was to eliminate any chances of metal fatigue, even if there's a flexible cushion in the line-up.
Happy to know you won't be haunting any of us, but you're certainly welcome to drop by while you're alive and well. I'll save a spot on the beach for you right next to the cooler of beer!
Aloha!
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

167luckycharm wrote:
Jeff,
I'd say that the highway gods have smiled down upon you and granted you the most luck in that you were able safely pull over in a clear spot, without hitting anything or causing any sideline accidents. Rubber underwear is the dress code of the day!
Unbelievable, that we rely on such thin metal between the steering shaft and steering box. This is the reason I chose the solid shaft versus the collapse-able version. I had to shorten mine a few inches, but made sure that it was perfectly aligned between the steering box and the bearing under the turn signal assembly. I modified the steering box clamp by adjusting the location of the two notches that mate up against the nubs on the beam. This way, there's a straight line from the shaft of the box, through the rag joint, and to the steering wheel mount. My concern was to eliminate any chances of metal fatigue, even if there's a flexible cushion in the line-up.
Happy to know you won't be haunting any of us, but you're certainly welcome to drop by while you're alive and well. I'll save a spot on the beach for you right next to the cooler of beer!
Aloha!

I wish there was a "Like" button Cool
Where did you find a solid shaft at? I'm looking and like that option the most.

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Moore Parts. They seem to have a good selection of steering parts.
I have never bought from them.

http://www.mooreparts.com/Steering-Wheels-%26-Accessories-Steering-Shafts-%26-Bearings/

Also Pacific Customs.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/steering.html

Last edited by tgodber on Thu May 15, 2014 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to remove the Steering wheel/shaft as a complete unit this weekend and pull it all apart. Can I keep the same column and just replace the shaft inside with a solid piece? I'm probably going to get a new key/ignition while I'm in there. I only have 1 key and its bent LOL. I'm not going to make that call until its apart though. Guess I will be down for a few weeks while I get this sorted out. Still waiting on the transmission to go, its about the only other thing I haven't rebuilt/replaced yet. Laughing

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont want the "safety" steering shaft.. a pre 68 shaft is a drop in replacement.
Its a straight tube.

Of course... you could always simply cut out the safety portion and weld in a a tube section.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your steering shaft is also rubbing on the bottom of the outer steering column tube. You should take care of that while your working on the column install.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
If you dont want the "safety" steering shaft.. a pre 68 shaft is a drop in replacement.
Its a straight tube.

Of course... you could always simply cut out the safety portion and weld in a a tube section.

I have done just that in the past. Just slipped a section of tubing over the expanded collapsible section and carefully welded it up.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR cut out expanded section and use a piece of tubing that has ID that will slip over existing shaft and do some really good welds....

Also stay away from red polyurethane "rag joint" they will self destruct and you will have no steering (again) and I think once is all the gods allow.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ What Dale said! ^^^

If they make them in yellow urethane or black urethan avoid those too. It is important that a "rag joint" contains actual "rag." That is the cloth layers in the middle responsible for reinforcing the connection and making sudden complete breakage nearly impossible.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shortened super beetle shaft will give the same "front end collision collapse/safety" and be as strong as a solid shaft.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538337&highlight=steering+shaft+super
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same style steering shaft, and have wondered about its strength. Does anyone have a good close up photo of the connection between the collapsible section and the solid part that goes through the firewall up to the column?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
A shortened super beetle shaft will give the same "front end collision collapse/safety" and be as strong as a solid shaft.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538337&highlight=steering+shaft+super

A flex shaft can be added......only if a bearing or bushing is added to the end of the column tube (or mid shaft forward of the tube) .. AND a shaft lock added to keep the upper shaft from traveling in and out.

(Think Super Beetle self supporting column)..

The straight Beetle steering shaft is only supported at either end (steering wheel and steering box). Its length is "fixed".

Simply adding a flex or (double flex) joint in the middle of the shaft causes unwanted steering wheel movement as the actual steering shaft tried to flop around in the unsupported lower column tube.
In addtion the flex will try to push and pull shaft inward and outward of the tube...
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rufustoad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW what luck and a God Blessing!! Was just wondering if anyone has installed a late model Bug steering column in their Manx? Would like to put a column in mine that has the turn sigs and horn in one??
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using the SB upper column/shaft along with the shortened SB lower shaft would be simplest

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1626660
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to pull the shaft over the weekend and see what I'm dealing with. Thank to everyone for the great suggestions! I feel like I have options now.

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you end up doing with this? I'm looking at all the options, since I'm just starting my dis-assembly and build.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cut out what was left of the birdcage and welded in some rollbar tubing.

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Was wondering if you went aftermarket. Looking for a nice aftermarket column that would fit without breaking the bank. Parts list is starting to get rather lengthy.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: