Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Fixed Side Window Was TOUGH!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Installing Fixed Side Window Was TOUGH! Reply with quote

I've installed many windows, windshields... In fact, did my rear hatch window yesterday by myself...no sweat. Went to replace the rubber seal on my rear side window today (fixed window on my 13 window) and it was almost impossible! The seal from WW was definitely meatier than stock, and I was using 16 ga. auto wire, same as I used on the rear window. I'm guessing that the channel was just too small for 16ga., but even with silicone, grease, etc. it just wouldn't work. Finally shoved and banged it into place and used a freakin' screwdriver (no wire or cord at all), to Bully" the lip over the flange. I was super careful and the seal didn't get cut at all. Anybody else had trouble with the seal on those windows? Still have to do the other side, so suggestions are welcome. Think 18ga. wire is going to make that much of a difference?

Looking for '67 Engine / Block HO 183xxx - HO 194xxx
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 67 deluxe and replaced the rear fixed windows using WW seals but encountered no problems at all. I used a thick nylon cord rather than wire, however, with soapy water and a large suction cup handle. Both went in easily.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer sash cord myself, more traction to haul that lip up over the pichweld than vinyl coated wire.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had good luck with using cord; it seems to tear the seal too easily. I like using coated electrical wire.

Not sure why your window was so tight, maybee the seal was made slightly larger for some reason, manufacturing error?

You need to pick up a "glass stick," for your next window seal install; they are a flat plastic/nylon stick about the size of a tongue depressor.

I use mine all the time on window seals and other stuff I don't want to damage anything with a screwdriver.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also did all the fixed windows in my Kombi. I started using the WW seals, and they don't work for shit. I called Bustorations and he hooked me up with German seals, they were still tight (and more expensive)....but went in like butter. You will see the difference when you compare them side to side with the WW seals. WW took their seals back no prob when I explained the way they fit. I haven't had that problems with any other windows and WW seals....just the fixed ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh...finally, somebody feels my pain. Once it was in it was impressive. Super tight and very substantial, but I'm telling you it needs to be a little smaller. Not looking forward to the other one. Their rear window seal went in nicely.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me...mine was painful. I cracked two OG sigla windows before I gave up on the WW seals. I have done tons of windows, and none have been as much of a pain as those! If you look really close, the windows aren't going in vertical. They start with the bottom canted out...then when they are in, they are more vertical. About the 3rd window, I got it down. Ronnie's seals (if he still has some) are softer, and the ribbed area that seals against the metal is narrower. Not by much...but they are the ticket! I almost had a window in the the WW seal...then CRACK. My heart sank.... twice

(be ready tho...I think they were $40 a piece....but worth every penny)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasted hrs using ww seals. Then I took the advice here and used Ronnie's and it was done in no time. Worth every penny. Ordering my rear seal next week.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brendel20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used lots of WW seals with success. You definitely have to get physically with them at times. The trick is centering them perfectly and even pressure. I've always used weedeater string to install mine.
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...once it was in it was fantastic. Like I said, it's a very "meaty" seal, and a super tight fit. Can't imagine it leaking. Just not looking forward to doing the second one! At least I know what I'm up against this time.

Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the side window seals on my bus a few weeks back. However, I don't remember if I used WW seals or WCW. Probably the latter. I found the best way for me to install them is using some nylon string and wrapping it around the seal channel three or four times. That really helps pull the glass in tight. I use some Armor All cleaning spray to lube the seal and lip. It seems to work better than just plain Windex.

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sambafraser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off don't use WD-40 on non silicon rubber (old school rubber) as this doesn't react well. The jury is still out on Vaseline as it is petroleum based.
There are specific lubricants for rubber that you can buy, however you can use olive oil or soap (Avoid salt based soaps that make foam so no dishwashing liquid) as well.
I have heard of people who prefer KY gel as it is water based and doesn't attack the silicon rubber. Weedeater cable or something that won't scratch your paint good to help pull the rubber lip over.

Plus you can use the KY later in the Van rather than telling your lover to bite the pillow as AmorAll Spray on your johnson might seem a bit uncouth.

In keeping with the vintage of the bus you can get the sticker made up "Don't laugh your mom might be in here" Wink
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the second window today. Worse than the first. Wound up...no sh*t...using a hammer and drift over four hours to get it in. Ridiculous. I LOVE WW, but I'd never sue their fixed window seals.

kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...three days later and the window has finally "seated" itself in place. Today's 85 degree temps surely helped, but I've been using the drift and hammer 3-4 times a day for the past four days. Surely the most ridiculous install ever of a fixed window. Yesterday, I installed both of Stacey's repop Delog windshields in about fifteen minutes each using WCM seals. Now to redo the six remaining pop outs and I'm window finished!

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely have more persistence than I did with the WW seals! No way were mine going in...plus I did them in the winter (heated garage though). Ronnie's seals went in about 15 to 20 min a window....taking it easy on them.
joe comfort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: German fixed side window seal Reply with quote

Ronnie doesnt have any of the German fixed side window seals right now. Who has a spare? Or where to get one?
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
You definitely have more persistence than I did with the WW seals! No way were mine going in...plus I did them in the winter (heated garage though). Ronnie's seals went in about 15 to 20 min a window....taking it easy on them.

It was ridiculous, but they're in and pool great.

Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windex and weedeater string.....best way there is to install windows

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio_Style wrote:
Windex and weedeater string.....best way there is to install windows

Usually... irrelevant with these seals.

joe comfort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I installed the fixed window on my 66 Westy and it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. I used the seal that Ronnie sells (not the German seal) and with the help of a friend pushing from the outside, it went in smoothly. I used plenty of dish soap on the seal and the window opening. Plus it was 113* today so the seal was pliable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: