Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW dealer installing a Re-manufactured AC compressor 12 JSW
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: VW dealer installing a Re-manufactured AC compressor 12 JSW Reply with quote

Thursday we took our 2012 JSW in for the 60K Service at the dealer, I mentioned to the Service Consultant that our AC did not seem to be working properly, and my wife added that it was not working the day before and then she switched it to Non-Recalculating and back, and AC seemed to be working (although not super cold)

The Service Consultant said the AC Diagnostic would be $280 and that would help limit the cost in case they had to do a repair(i.e. $99 for Diag + $181 if they had to evac and recharge system for diagnosis) he had us singe the $288 Work Auth…

I received a call saying we needed a New AC compressor as an internal reed valve in the compressor and the Diag. showed the “needle” bouncing all over the place… and the repair would cost an additional(to Diag) $839 to put in the New compressor…

I asked him to send me a Quote, for the work, as I need to determine if we could afford the repair now and see if I could do the repair myself for less …

While waiting for the quote I searched myturbodeisel.com and tdiclub.com for possible problems with internal read valve… I found post about problems with Refrigerant Control Valve (RCV) but did not find anything about an internal reed valve…

Any way to make a long story shorter, after figuring that if I install a new OEM compressor for $410+shipping and pay another $100 to evac and recharge the system, I would only be saving aprox $329, so I diced to have them do the work…

When my Wife came home with the bill, I saw that they had installed a Remanufactured Part!

I can’t tell you how upset I was :0( My wife was upset too, the Service Consultant had a number of opportunities to let me know they were going to install a Remanufactured AC compressor but did not…

I complained about it via e-mail but did not get a reply, when my wife called the Service Consultant to express her dissatisfaction about the use of a Remanufactured unit, the Service Consultant told her (paraphrase):

Quote:
“He said the Remanufactured Part was an industry standard and that they rarely have “brand new” Parts. Brand new parts would have to come straight from the factory and that is more expensive. He said the remanufactured part has just a replaced screw or washer and is good as new.

He said there are 3 different types of parts Brand New, Re-manufactured & After market and the industry standard is Re-manufactured parts.”

Can anyone comment about a VW dealer installing a Re-manufactured AC compressor on a two-year-old car, without informing customer or offering the option of a New part?

The dealer charged $712.88 for the Re-manufactured AC Compressor (1K0820808DX) a new latest revision(F) 1K0820808F cost only $15.20 more at another local VW dealer… :0(

PS VW Repair Tec notes stated:
Connected AC Machine Low side 45 PSI. And Needle is Jumping High side is 170 PSI, Center Vent is 67 f. Connected VAS6160 and Scanned for Codes… All is as Designed. Recovered 134-R 0.61KGS =610GS Spec 525 +/- 25GS System was a lil over filled. Recommend Compressor due to worn valves.
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If his exact words were, "You need a new compressor," and never mentions you would actually be getting a remanufactured compressor, I would say you have a valid complaint to pursue. If he said something like, "You need to have your compressor replaced," you might only have something to pursue if there isn't something legally called "an industry standard" or if there is something legally called an industry standard and a remanufactured a/c compressor for a two-year old car is not that standard.

Even if everything is technically legal, this consultant is still morally wrong for not mentioning it because it is unreasonable for a lay person to know what an industry is and so is the dealer if they aren't willing to do something about it.

I can't comment on the actual diagnosis or the price you paid. I simply don't know.

As a parallel, I took my daughter's '97 Jetta to a dealer to get the cruise control fixed back when we bought it. After the dealer examined it, we were told up front our best bet would be a remanufactured unit or a working one from a junk yard. The shop we have been going to since '88 is always up front with our options if there are any to be had, or would say a new one is NLA if that were the case.

Your experience is some level of reprehensible. Good luck.
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. He said we needed a New Compressor, the quote he sent over was:

Quote:
YOUR PRESENT ESTIMATE IS AT 557.00
ADDITIONAL PRICE FOR PARTS AND LABOR TO REPLACE A/C COMPRESSOR 839 .00

My reply was:
Quote:
“Please proceed with the AC repair”
PS, we would like the old parts, if possible...

His Reply:
Quote:

There is a core charge on a/c compressor OF $ 150.00 / The manufacture is requesting faulty compressor back. I have it for your viewing if necc

My reply to him:
Quote:
Yes I would like to see it and take a picture, get the part number and SN off the unit that is costing us $1,100... I will post the info on tdiclub.com

Also if you could get the part number of the new one you are putting in for us that would be great... if it happens again I want to know what parts to not get again...

I am assuming the problem was not just the compressor's refrigerant control valve (RCV); which could have been replaced for a lot less...

No other e-mails from him...

RE: your parallel; My gut feeling was not to have them do the work(there Diag. seemed a little fishy after reading about RCV problems), but as it’s my wife’s car and for marital harmony(down time and possible extra complications due to my lack of familiarity with AC systems) I figured I would have them do it, however, while pondering if I should do the repair I also called around to get estimates on how much it would cost to have someone else(Non-Dealer) do the work instead, and I may have found a good place to take it if they do not give use satisfaction…
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

So I called the California Bureau of Automotive Repair, and spoke to one of the field agents, he informed me that when I asked dealer for a written quote for the additional work they should have provided me with:

A written estimate including the total estimated price for parts and labor for a specified repair or service. The estimate must also itemize the parts to be used and the method of repair. The repair shop must stick to the method of repair and the parts listed unless you agree in advance to any changes.

In addition, the BAR agent informed me that it is not Industry standard to use Re-manufactured Parts...

I will be contacting the Service Manager to see if he can help us get satisfaction.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is reasonable for you to pay the cost delta of a new compressor and a remanufactured one and the dealer to pay all of the labor, at your option.

I would ask for a warranty on the remanufactured one instead though.

All IMHO.
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t go into detail, although it took month; the situation was resolved to our satisfaction Shocked
VolkswagenVMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as what you were told, the service writer should have asked you if you would like a new on or a reman one. As a VW tech I don't see that side, but I do know at our dealer you are given both prices at to if you would like a new or reman. All of the reman parts are Volkswagen reman. To what failed, the service writer probably messed up on the terminology. There is a valve inside the compressor that is pulse modulated and that controls the compressor. That is 99% of the time what fails. It would be nice if that was replaceable, but as with the way things are made now. You have to replace the whole assembly. I have been a Tech for VW for 15 years and I am sorry for both of your experiences at your local dealer.
1966 Bug early
1966 Bug late
2000 New Beetle 2.0l 200,000 miles and going!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VolkswagenVMan,

I ended not getting the old one back, so will never know what was wrong with it-

I hope it was just a mistake, we are still taking my wife's car to them, I hope we do not have any more surpirses anytime soon, last week, it had a smell of diesl while driving on the freeway with widows open(at our two year old request), and when stop in a parking lot, and it looks like we are leaking some fluid that is slowly dripping out the front frame rails... but no drips on the driveway... and the smell seems gone now.

Love the pictures of the old vw's at your work, they are lucky you know how to work on them!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: