Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Don't wash your jeans?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Don't wash your jeans? Reply with quote

Can you imagine coming in after working on a VW getting greasy and dirty following this video advice about not washing the jeans.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/why-levis-ceo....html?vp=1

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to think that when jeans were first made that most people only took a bath one a week if that
jeans are made to get less dirty then other type of pants so they can be worn more times before needing washed

I have never wash my jeans unless they get really dirty or I have worn them a dozen times but I hang them up to air out after I wear them and have a few pairs a cycle thru

I also have jeans that I wear only to work on cars and they get washed less then my nicer pairs

the more you wash jeans the faster they will fall apart and/or wear out in certain spots

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wash mine very often either.

I really read that article as
"Don't wash your Levis too often because we don't make them with quality any more. They'll wear out even faster if you wash them."
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

"Don't wash your Levis too often because we don't make them with quality any more. They'll wear out even faster if you wash them."

So true. The jeans today feel like they are half as thick as the ones i wore in the 80's. I swear back then 501's would almost stand on their own!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
EverettB wrote:

So true. The jeans today feel like they are half as thick as the ones i wore in the 80's. I swear back then 501's would almost stand on their own!

Something changed the last few years and they do not wear as long as they once did. I started buying Carhardts. Same price, last five times longer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be that jeans only came in the original unwashed hard blue denim. There were no pre-washed, acid-washed, or any other kind of washed. I used to buy new jeans and immediately wash them a few times to break them in. After that, I wore the hell out of them and rarely washed them. Of course, blue jeans were the "official uniform" of the day back then. If they got holes in them, you patched them and kept on walking.

I had a friend that used to dunk his jeans in the sink for a good hour, then put them on wet and let them dry. The idea was to get that custom, conforming fit.

In the sixties, seventies, and even into the eighties, blue jeans were a culture unto themselves. Those were the days...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the cost of Levi's I'll buy 2 pair of Wranglers. I wear them 5 days straight on the construction site and wash them on the weekend. A pair will last about a year and a half. I'll save my vodka for my liver and the white vinegar for my wife's Easter eggs.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing we have this society witch is powered by burning a zillion barrels of oil per year but average joe's pants never get dirty.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wash 'em if you're just gonna put em' back on and go out to the garage again tomorrow night?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jeans usually stay fairly presentable on the outside since I wear coveralls in the shop, not sure I can say the same about the insides but the parts you can see look OK Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seldom wash my jeans, but I do shower at least once a month.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
Why wash 'em if you're just gonna put em' back on and go out to the garage again tomorrow night?

X2, I will wear my work jeans to the point a hobo would even be disgusted and only THEN do I finally wash them.

As for my regular non-work jeans, I will wear them until they can basically walk on their own. They only get washed if they get something on them that can't be taken off by spot cleaning or if I went to a bar and they wreak of smoke.

I hate to wash them because the first few times directly after a wash they are tight and uncomfortable, they fit and feel much better the longer you wear them without washing them.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after wearing these unwashed jeans full of grease for days at a time, what do your chairs, car seats, and everything else you brush up against look like?

I mean, I would think that it's false economy to not wash a pair of $30 jeans and wreck a $300 chair because of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
So, after wearing these unwashed jeans full of grease for days at a time, what do your chairs, car seats, and everything else you brush up against look like?

I mean, I would think that it's false economy to not wash a pair of $30 jeans and wreck a $300 chair because of it.

A good mechanic doesn't "cover himself in grease" that's not to say that I don't get grease, oils, rtv's, antiseize, etc, on my jeans. The key is that when I walk in the house I am aware of what I am wearing and put a towel down if I MUST sit on a piece of furniture. As for my truck, the seats are perfectly fine so that must say something about how careful I am about getting messy in the first place. I have a towel in our car and my bug ( not in the work truck ) that I will sit on if I am particularly dirty. You'd have to be a complete moron to walk in your house or sit in your car and act like you're wearing clean clothes.

I've been a mechanic for 18 years and except for the occasional shit storm that happens and gets you covered in who-knows-what, I tend to only get dirty on my hands, arms, stomach area and by my pockets and front of my thighs where I end up wiping my hands and tools sometimes if a rag isn't at hand.

If I do get REALLY greasy/oil soaked I will wash my work clothes at the end of the day.

I never understood how these guys you see at other shops and at home that are COVERED in grease and who-knows-what even manage to get like that.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
crofty wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Something changed the last few years and they do not wear as long as they once did. I started buying Carhardts. Same price, last five times longer.

Walmart happened. The market gets flooded with cheap denin and if levis wants to compete they have to lower prices and the way to do that is to make a thinner weave.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear Dickies..... Jeans suck.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear Carhardts jeans and overalls and can usually go a whole week at work before washing. Way better than trendy Legislation.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people with desk jobs I can see how Jeans could stay clean for a long while. The Jeans never go outside, never see dirt, and you know they aren't sweating in them. I got a pair like that, they never see much action.

15 minutes in the wet field digging ditches for irrigation and my man-jeans are already dirtier than a CEO's jeans ever got in 15 years. Bet he never got blood on his desk jeans. There are just different uses for different people. If I put my jeans in the freezer then all that would do is contaminate a lot of good food.

I also don't wash my man-jeans that often. No point in washing them if they are just going to get dirty again the next couple of days splitting firewood. I'll wait till the project is done, then toss 'em into the laundry.

Whatever, do what you like. They're your pants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I busted out the back of 3 pair of jean shorts in the last week working in and under my bus. Plus a pair of legged ones while just wearing them around. All 4 had the long rip next to one of the rear pockets. I had always washed them frequently.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How silly don't wash your jeans. I can me going into a nice restaurant with greasy smelly jeans on.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: