Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

16" Symonds Jackman Alumistar-like
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIMMA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: 16" Symonds Jackman Alumistar-like Reply with quote

I picked these up off of craigslist the other day. They were on a really old High-Jumper sand rail, the frame that kinda looks like a wagon in the back. I don't know much about them, but I have never seen something like them. They are 16" wheels, 6.5" wide. The outer half looks like a Jackman Alumistar (with the 5 triangular holes), but the inner half is solid and there is a plate sandwiched in the middle. Maybe they were modified by SYMONDS (never heard of them)?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone know anything about them? Rare? Worth anything?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes those are Jackman Aluminum Stars. They are the later version without the slot cut in the back half.
The name that is stamped in them is more than likely the off road racers name. It is what so you can tell who wheel and tire it was.
Are you sure they are 16in diameter?
Yes they are becoming harder to find.
I have some of the early ones for sale.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
TIMMA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and info. I have only ever seen the Jackman Aluminum Star wheel with the slots all the way through. The racer's name makes sense because they are not stamped uniformly, like a company stamp would be (they used individual letters because they don't all line up). 16" is hand written on the back of the wheels in black marker. They measure about 17 5/16" across the face, lip to lip. Overall width is 7 1/2" lip to lip, and 6 1/2" bead to bead.

I thought about putting them on this old class 5/1600 car I just bought, but I think I'm going to stick with the Centerlines that are on it.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16in wheels are not common. About the only ones I seen are 16x4 for use on the front with a 7.50x15 tire. Centerline, Method and some others make this size.
I measure a Jackman 15in and it comes out about 14.5in on the inside bead to bead. The outer lip to lip is a little over 16in.
If they are 16in I have to wonder what size and brand of tire they were using. Off road racing has used 15in for years and with the tires getting larger 17in wheels are becoming more common as BFG and General have off road tires in sizes to fit.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
TIMMA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I always thought the trend towards 16" wheels was somewhat more recent, and it was really just for the fronts. I have heard that people use 16" tires that would come on a dually truck - tall and somewhat narrow. But these wheels are wide enough at 6.5" that they seem like they would be for a rear tire.
Quailhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw two wheels the same as these. Yes, they are 16" wheels.
Same name on wheel, same size.

Are your two wheels for sale?

I worked at Jackman 38 years ago as a kid! Damn I'm old.
nobuggybob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh! I used to work there about 37 years ago 1978/79/80
Quailhunter what is your name and what area did you work in?
wardy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Symonds Jackman Alumistar-like Reply with quote

TIMMA wrote:
I picked these up off of craigslist the other day. They were on a really old High-Jumper sand rail, the frame that kinda looks like a wagon in the back. I don't know much about them, but I have never seen something like them. They are 16" wheels, 6.5" wide. The outer half looks like a Jackman Alumistar (with the 5 triangular holes), but the inner half is solid and there is a plate sandwiched in the middle. Maybe they were modified by SYMONDS (never heard of them)?

Greg Symonds use to race in the SCORE /HDRA desert series and had Jackman wheels on his old class 10 or class 1 race car. That was around 1983-1985. He then went on to race a Toyota 4x4 in the Mini truck class.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: