Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Here is one more of this style camper:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647925

There has to be some info or a brochure out there somewhere that proves who actually produced these kits. I have seen too many remnants of these kits to believe they were home-made. Most seem to be Kombi based but I have seen a few panels too. The truth is out there...... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Here is one more of this style camper:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647925

There has to be some info or a brochure out there somewhere that proves who actually produced these kits. I have seen too many remnants of these kits to believe they were home-made. Most seem to be Kombi based but I have seen a few panels too. The truth is out there...... Smile

Here is the evidence I've been searching for. This brochure is from 1968-69. I am confident that this is the true identity of my camper. Same huge tent mounts, closet, bed, windows, formica etc. Also, this company is from Mt. Olive Alabama which ties in the "Alabama Camper" evidence discussed on page one of this thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here is the 1963 brochure that was already here in the archives. I need to improve my searching skills apparently..... Embarassed

It looks like the earlier versions did not have the swooping curtain valances or the extra trim around the closet door etc. It seems they were improved upon through the years. In the 68-69 brochure you can see the curtain valance on the long panel. My bus had the 110v outlet in the same spot. Chemical toilet is shown in the 68-69 brochure. They even came with a 2 burner coleman stove. Looks like it's time to ditch the Ward's plaque and have this label reproduced for my icebox. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Thank you for posting these photos! I inherited one of these MW campers that my father purchased in 1973. It is a 1967 model. It is in very good condition and I have been struggling to find out what type of camper it is. After much searching, I found your photos. I always wondered what that toilet shaped thing is under the front-back seat. Are there many of these around? How can I connect with other people who have MW campers?

Thanks
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Michaelfind wrote:
Thank you for posting these photos! I inherited one of these MW campers that my father purchased in 1973. It is a 1967 model. It is in very good condition and I have been struggling to find out what type of camper it is. After much searching, I found your photos. I always wondered what that toilet shaped thing is under the front-back seat. Are there many of these around? How can I connect with other people who have MW campers?

Thanks

Welcome to The Samba Michael! I'm fairly new to buses and also struggled to figure out who made my camper after buying it. I searched all over this site and found a handful of others posted under threads titled "what kind of camper is this" etc. There are a few links to others on the first page of this thread.

In the frequently asked questions section here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99345

scroll down until you get the section titled "Montgomery Ward aka Coleman?" Although not much is left of the bus posted in the pictures, you can see it still has tables and of course the huge side tent mounts on the roof. The large tent mounts along with the swoopy curtain valances are two of the main distinguishing features of this kit. Everett added pictures of my bus and a link to this thread to hopefully help others with info.

I'm not sure where the Montgomery Ward part comes into play as I could find no labels or tags left in my camper. I think I read somewhere that a member had the original side tent that had a MW tag on it but i can't confirm this.

The emblem below was added by me because i liked it but not original to the bus:

Now if you're still following me and not dizzy yet Smile Here is where 'The Alabama Camper' comes into play.
I was ok referring to mine as a MW but really wanted to find out more. Also here is a camper of this same type which bears 'The Alabama Camper' tag and info confirmed by the original owner here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487777&highlight=alabama+camper

Quote from thread linked above:

agpatrol wrote:
I talked with the lady who sold me the bus. She was in the 8th grade when her mother purchased it new. A few months after purchase, it was hailed on. The insurance check was $500. Her mother then took it to Alabama Camper for a conversion. The conversion cost $500. The day they picked it up, they drove to a local resevour and camped in it.

with this original foil sticker on the side of the ice box:

After owning this bus a few years and occasionally seeing remnants of this same kit in buses for sale here, i got a clue from a member's post that lead me on a search of the 'Miller Wood and Metal Products" which also happens to be from Mt. Olive Alabama. I was lucky to find the scans posted above which as far as i'm concerned was the proof I was searching for finally found. In the 1968 bay window brochure they even refer to the windows as 'Alabama' windows.

I have since removed the Ward's badge and am planning to have an 'Alabama Camper' badge produced in the same style as the foil sticker.

Please post up some pictures of your bus here, in the gallery or better yet start a thread about it, i would love to see it!!!!!

Last edited by oakman on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Thanks for all the guidance and links. I am so happy to see the same interior in other campers. As far as I know, mine is original interior except for recovered front seats. I even have the same dixie cup dispenser seen in the photos with the Alabama Camper sticker. I always thought my parents added that at some point, but it must be part of the kit. I do have the original side tent and poles. If I get time today, I will go unfold the fabric and look for a logo. Maybe get some pictures too. I believe I have the original coleman stove as well. I know my father had an extensive file on this camper, but I have yet to find the file. If I find it, I will scan in brochures and anything else that might be helpful. If you find a way to reproduce the Alabama Camper sticker, please let me know.

Thanks again!
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

By the way, your restoration looks great!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Michaelfind wrote:
Thanks for all the guidance and links. I am so happy to see the same interior in other campers. As far as I know, mine is original interior except for recovered front seats. I even have the same dixie cup dispenser seen in the photos with the Alabama Camper sticker. I always thought my parents added that at some point, but it must be part of the kit. I do have the original side tent and poles. If I get time today, I will go unfold the fabric and look for a logo. Maybe get some pictures too. I believe I have the original coleman stove as well. I know my father had an extensive file on this camper, but I have yet to find the file. If I find it, I will scan in brochures and anything else that might be helpful. If you find a way to reproduce the Alabama Camper sticker, please let me know.

Thanks again!

That's awesome! If you can, post up your pictures here on The Samba in the Gallery under 1955-67 campers. As many as you're willing to take! From your description it sounds like you may have the best surviving known example. I still need to try to reproduce an awning/tent for mine and the poles too. Being that these campers were made down south I think many have been scrapped due to rust over the decades. Mine made it out here to the dry southwest early on which saved it from rot.

The cool part of having a camper like this is you will most likely be the only one at any show etc. Looking forward to seeing your Alabama Camper!
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

I like the way you think oakman, you may see 1 or 2 OTW campers at a show. Westys, there are always a bunch at the shows I attend. Very Happy
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Well, no tag or emblem of any kind on the tent fabric. It appears to all be there and, frankly, it if had ever fallen off, I'm pretty certain my father would have reattached it to keep it looking original. I wonder if maybe someone saw a replacement kit at one time that was a Montgomery Ward product. Maybe that added to the mystery? I will try to get some pictures this weekend, then try to figure out how to post them.
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

On a slightly different topic, what tires are you and other people running on your old buses? Mine has old bias ply tires on it, the two in back are flat and split. No, they aren't original tires but probably well over 30 years old! What radials tend to fit best and drive best on these buses?
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

There was a guy at No dough weekend this year in Florida with a red double door that had that same rear cabinet work in it as this bus. I told him i thought it was a Ward interior. Did anyone take a picture of that one?
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

found it!

curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Michaelfind wrote:
On a slightly different topic, what tires are you and other people running on your old buses? Mine has old bias ply tires on it, the two in back are flat and split. No, they aren't original tires but probably well over 30 years old! What radials tend to fit best and drive best on these buses?

Check out the dedicated Tire Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132211
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
I like the way you think oakman, you may see 1 or 2 OTW campers at a show. Westys, there are always a bunch at the shows I attend. Very Happy

Thanks Bill, it's fun to be different! I would really like to make a camper from scratch someday. I have a rough old 60 panel waiting it's turn, it's even already registered as a house-car.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
found it!

That's cool! Thanks for posting that Bubba.DD walkthru even. There was a DD in the classifieds here awhile back that still had the swoopy curtain valance on one of the doors. They were made from Kombi's as well as Panels. Check out the 1963 brochure below, you could even order a Swivel Seat!

Last edited by oakman on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Michaelfind wrote:

Check out the dedicated Tire Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132211

Lots of info in the tire threads here. Best to run light truck tires over passenger car tires. You want a stiffer sidewall and correct load range for 'best' handling, although buses aren't known to handle all that great. Here's another thread dedicated to larger than stock sizes:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265458&highlight=meats

I've been side-tracked lately working on other things so not much new to report about this bus. I did install the tent mounts finally, had to do a little digging since they had been bondoed over by a po. At least they were still in the bus after so many years. I will bead blast them and do some body work and paint blending eventually...

I forgot to add this one from here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614313&highlight=camper

Pretty much a twin to my bus except non w/t. I have no doubt it was an Alabama Camper:

Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Thank you for the lead on tires.
I'm glad to see you put the tent posts back on. I thought maybe you had decided you didn't want those big things protruding from your bus. I am biased because I grew up with a bus with the big posts, but I think they are a great, unique feature of these particular campers. When I was much younger, friends would always ask, "what are those things sticking out of the roof?"
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Michaelfind wrote:
Thank you for the lead on tires.
I'm glad to see you put the tent posts back on. I thought maybe you had decided you didn't want those big things protruding from your bus. I am biased because I grew up with a bus with the big posts, but I think they are a great, unique feature of these particular campers. When I was much younger, friends would always ask, "what are those things sticking out of the roof?"

I was happy to find them in the camper closet, I totally agree it is a unique feature of the camper. Someday i will get around to making the poles and at least an awning if not the whole tent.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Tested the BFG 215/75 15" all terrains today. I bought these for my flipseat but wanted to test them out here. No rubbing, the rears install fine and won't hit the lip of the fender even with it raised on jacks.

The front with the wheel turned at it's closest point with the jack support flange leaves about 1/3"

A fun little drive, the evenings have been nice lately.

The BFG's felt very well planted on the pavement compared to the kumho 195/75 r14 passenger car tires that i have been running. I had it in a decent cross wind and it's a huge improvement. Light truck tires only from now on.

edit: I went out the next day for some highway driving on the big meats, here's what i found:

oakman wrote:

I just got back from road testing the BFG 215/75 15 All Terrains.

Cornering- nice and stable, tires don't want to fold over like passenger car tires.

Cross winds- Big improvement over the 195/75 14" passenger car tires. Easier to keep it going straight.

Acceleration- slower, but i expected this. 1st gear thru 3rd gear felt fine. 1st and second are great off road with the large tires.

Climbing a long grade on the highway with a decent headwind i was barely able to hold 4th gear where with the 195/75 14"'s i'm able to keep it in the sweet spot and keep my 62 mph easily.

The engine in this bus is a somewhat tired old GEX Shocked 1600 DP mystery motor from the 1990's Smile
I'm sure with a little more power it would overcome the 4th gear 'wall' i hit. Flat ground driving was a non issue in 4th gear.
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Thanks for the tire review. I am confused, or perhaps missing the obvious. Do you have some 15" wheels and you have swapped out the 14" wheels to run the bigger tires? Those look nice, kind of aggressive, and sound like they drive well too.

I did take a few pictures of my Alabama Camper this weekend and posted them over on the 55-67 Camper gallery.

What is the story on back up lights? Some 67s have them and others do not?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: