Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Australian and NZ delivered barn doors.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian 68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Australian and NZ delivered barn doors. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm interested in the history of Bd's that came to NZ and Aus in 54.

I believe that my March 54 was one of the very 1st buses into NZ, I'm told 5 were brought over by a dealer and sold. 2 x 11w 2 x dlx and 1 panel van.

I know from a mate in the UK the " sister " bus of my 11w is now in the UK ( mines in Aus ) and they are 5 digits apart on the chassis number.

We have a bus here in Aus, delivered here to Melbourne, over 350 numbers away on chassis number but also a March 54.

Looking at the last chassis numbers from Feb 54 to March 54 its in the region of 3713 odd...did they really build that many in a month ????

Anyone have any info on how many were actually built, how many came here to NZ and Aus and when, where they went etc etc ...I learnt something last night about my bus, by all accounts up until around mid March 54 they used 53 parts up, my bus has a little angled gusset welded from the frame horns / cradle up to the torsion housing....by all accounts this is a 53 style feature ?? Later 54 buses dont have it ??

Thanks for your help in advance.
Best
Ian
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, I cant vouch for the Bdoors but my NZ new feb5 54 assembled beetle was imported fully assembled by Jowet Motors Auckland, this is verified on the birth cert. Definitely worth getting the birth cert if you want to figure this out.

Have you looked at your glass? if your bus was assembled here it would have NZ saftey glass...

Something I have noticed lately is that there are quite a few early(for nz) dated parts around ie feb/march, Ive been speculating that maybe the ckd kits were bought around that time then shipped here and assembled later in the year, which explains why there seem to be disproportionate number of early dated parts, just as guess but seems to make sense.

There is a list Ive seen here on the Samba the gives the totals of buses per country per year… Cheers…A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian 68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
Hi Ian, I cant vouch for the Bdoors but my NZ new feb5 54 assembled beetle was imported fully assembled by Jowet Motors Auckland, this is verified on the birth cert. Definitely worth getting the birth cert if you want to figure this out.

Have you looked at your glass? if your bus was assembled here it would have NZ saftey glass...

Something I have noticed lately is that there are quite a few early(for nz) dated parts around ie feb/march, Ive been speculating that maybe the ckd kits were bought around that time then shipped here and assembled later in the year, which explains why there seem to be disproportionate number of early dated parts, just as guess but seems to make sense.

There is a list Ive seen here on the Samba the gives the totals of buses per country per year… Cheers…A

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

The glass in my bus is not marked NZ so thats a mother piece of a puzzle I now know about. Jowet Motors is the name of the dealer that I believe imputed my bus, by all accounts there is a photo of the owner at the dockside watching the buses being unloaded...

I'm going to get a birth cert for my bus as well to try and gain as much info as possible.

Anyone have an email address for that please ? I have an address but no idea who to pay / how to pay etc

Any one got a link for the list of buses per country per year also please ?

Thanks again.
Best
Ian
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BD Sales info
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162121&start=20

VW Birth Certificate
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398
nzvwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe only 18 where sold in NZ as there are 3 barndoors in my area which is the lest populated place in NZ
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nzvwfan wrote:
I find it hard to believe only 18 where sold in NZ as there are 3 barndoors in my area which is the lest populated place in NZ

Not sure what line you were reading but looks like there were 575 transporters sold/delivered in NZ in 54, maybe a doz or so left in the country now so seems like a really high attrition rate.

Ps dont tell everyone that there are three Barndoors on the Chathams "nzvwfan" or everyone will be there looking for them…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian 68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More great info, thanks Gents.

Hard to believe Aus got 700 + transporters in 54, thats a lot of buses. My best guess is no more than about 40 odd genuine Aus delivered left here..if it's even that many, maybe closer to 30 in reality.

700 + does seem a lot given our location and the fact that the earliest known is March 54...ships would have taken a considerable time to reach port here, still it says 700 so I guess thats right ????
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

There was more than the 5 Buses in the first delivery of NZ buses, if it was a first delivery bus, would be a March 54 for sure, and would have SEKURIT glass, German upholstery, and the door tops will have three digits stamped into the frame top that should match the last three digits of the body number, stamped behind the drivers side front of seat.

No body number and "S" NZ glass, different upholstery etc means it was assembled here from a CKD kit, and paint colour would be a NZ paint as well.....

Love to know the chassis number as I have a list here of the first delivery.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian 68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg Classics wrote:
Ian

There was more than the 5 Buses in the first delivery of NZ buses, if it was a first delivery bus, would be a March 54 for sure, and would have SEKURIT glass, German upholstery, and the door tops will have three digits stamped into the frame top that should match the last three digits of the body number, stamped behind the drivers side front of seat.

No body number and "S" NZ glass, different upholstery etc means it was assembled here from a CKD kit, and paint colour would be a NZ paint as well.....

Love to know the chassis number as I have a list here of the first delivery.....

I do have sekurit glass which I believe is the same as my Wolfsburg May 55 Single cab ( Large letter etc etc ) I didn't have any OG seats or a bulkhead as that was gas axed out along with the firewall as the bus was used as a wood shed....I will send you the chassis number by PM but it's def March 54, how cool if it were to be a 1st fleet bus....I'm off to check the door tops now..you have a PM.

Just checked door tops and they are stamped but the digits dont match...very very close though, within a couple though...

Thanks again for the info Gents, much to learn here, I think it'll be cool to try and document the history once we know a little more, also cool to see how many are still out there and being driven or restored.
Ian
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

Yes that old "DB" Bus chassis number 20-0 78XXX is a 'first delivery' bus, would have been one of the initial order of CBU buses delivered to Jowett Motors ex Germany.

Not too many of the first shipment left now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian 68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

Yes that old "DB" Bus chassis number 20-0 78XXX is a 'first delivery' bus, would have been one of the initial order of CBU buses delivered to Jowett Motors ex Germany.

Not too many of the first shipment left now.

Tony,

Thanks very much, great info...sorry for my ignorance but DB and CBU means ??

Ian
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

No problem, happy to piece the jigsaw together....no point doing the research if you ain't prepared to share it.

DB was the initials of the old owner in my registry......

And CBU means completely built up, arrived as from the factory... vs CKD, completely knocked down like the locally assembled ones were....like LEGO in a wooden crate.
Ian 68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

No problem, happy to piece the jigsaw together....no point doing the research if you ain't prepared to share it.

DB was the initials of the old owner in my registry......

And CBU means completely built up, arrived as from the factory... vs CKD, completely knocked down like the locally assembled ones were....like LEGO in a wooden crate.

Tony,

Thanks for sharing this.

Can you confirm the total number of buses in to NZ in 54 ? Do they match the sales figures on the chart above and any idea on the chassis numbering...IE the number of buses produced from the end of Feb 54 to end of Mar 54 is huge, did they really make that many buses in a month ?

Also interested to know more if you have info on the 1st shipment, details of the dealer and if possible the 1st owner...I wonder if photo's do exist ? Maybe the family may have something, I have sent my email address to you by PM and if you'd like to use that to discuss I'm happy to do so. I will of course share info if it's ok and of interest to others.

Sincere thanks for taking the time to share.

best
Ian
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I am sure Tony will fill in the details but... the dealer was Jowet motors, Jowet motors became VW motors NZ later in the year when they had accreditation/stock/parts etc. There is a book called…50 Years of Volkswagens in New Zealand by Philip Coyle. Its available online, and definitly worth a read and has some great early photos of Bdoors being assembled etc.
Is the DB Dominion Breweries? maybe Tony can tell you?
Ian 68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
Ian, I am sure Tony will fill in the details but... the dealer was Jowet motors, Jowet motors became VW motors NZ later in the year when they had accreditation/stock/parts etc. There is a book called…50 Years of Volkswagens in New Zealand by Philip Coyle. Its available online, and definitly worth a read and has some great early photos of Bdoors being assembled etc.
Is the DB Dominion Breweries? maybe Tony can tell you?

Once again thank you.
When I posted this i thought I may get a reply or 2 and no one would really know much but it seems there is a lot of info out there, i'll track down a copy of that book online and have a read, thanks again.
Ian
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of you boys needs to go and get this one
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=2780
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NZ booklet. No date but cover shows a Barndoor

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is dated 1-64. Cool map.

Cover

Opened out

Ian 68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very nice pieces there, thanks for sharing....chances of the Deluxe still being there ?? Slim to none I reckon
nzvwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its now in Australia and I think its been restored
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: