Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interviews for job's in today's world. **UPDATE**
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LowType2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Interviews for job's in today's world. **UPDATE** Reply with quote

I've gone on 3 in the last couple of day's. Have another one setup of Tuesday for a company I have already interviewed for. Now is it standard for companies to do multiple interviews nowaday's? Guess I am somewhat important. *Shrugs

I kind of like it and I think it's a good idea. I get to meet and talk with the head of the department that I might get to work in.

Anyway's happy Friday fawkers Wink

Last edited by LowType2 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Interviews for job's in today's world. Reply with quote

LowType2 wrote:
I've gone on 3 in the last couple of day's. Have another one setup of Tuesday for a company I have already interviewed for. Now is it standard for companies to do multiple interviews nowaday's? Guess I am somewhat important. *Shrugs

A company I worked at 30 years ago would always do 3 interviews. The only reason for it was so they could see how many nice outfits the women had and to make sure the guy owned more than just one suit and tie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camaroboi13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually pretty smart, Coad.

I wish my process was that simple. I am trying to get into a correctional officer position. The application is sent to you in pdf format and it's 26 pages long and must be typed. It goes over lots of background information including tickets, accidents, felonies, parents and siblings contact information, etc etc over the last 10 years. At the end of the app there's a blank page where you need to list any and all tattoos, where you got them, what location you got them at, how old were you, why did you get it, then include a photo on glossy paper of each tattoo in 4x6 print. Once you're done there, you get all that notarized along with a copy of your credit report, original birth certificate, driver's license and a few other things. Then you have to take an online personality test, and once you've completed all that you go to the written test.

If you pass the written test, you're invited back to take the fitness test which just got changed 2 months ago. It consists of running while carrying two 45lb weights, up and down 2 flights of stairs, and I believe a 500 yard obstacle course style run and it's all gotta be done in 5 1/2 minutes. If you pass that, you move on to the psych test, where essentially some prosecutors drill you till they get in your head and make you change up your stories so they can get rid of you lol. If you pass ALL of that, then you finally get to sit down and take an interview haha. Then it's background check, drug test, and live scan fingerprinting, before 16 weeks in the academy approximately 450 miles away from home.

It takes roughly 4 months from the time you apply to the time they say you're hired, and send you to the academy.

So going back to your original post, I wouldn't mind showing up in 3 different suits and sit down in an air conditioned room and chat it up with a couple guys Laughing

FFL GUN DEALER! PM ME FOR SOCAL TRANSFERS!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the job, of course. Many white collar jobs require you to work with several other organizations, and they all want a look at you, each with their own agenda. Also, it often climbs the organizational ladder, with the initial interviews a screening process before the execs take their time for you.

My last job had four... hiring manager, lateral co-workers, peers in other orgs, then managing VP.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only do one - BUT there are several steps to it as well as psych testing etc. However, we do also research applicants on facebook, etc. Like someone who just posted "Wow - got totally wasted last night and blew off work again" probably wont get hired Laughing .
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now is it standard for companies to do multiple interviews nowaday's? Guess I am somewhat important

I haven't had to interview for a job or give interviews in a few years but the last few times I was hired for short-term contracts I had a phone interview/pre-interview for technical aptitude, an in-person interview with one or more bosses, then another interview, usually the same day, with other technical people at the job. We did the same when I was interviewing.

The last part could be me sitting a table or standing at a whiteboard while 2-6 people asked me questions about technical stuff, often drawing on the whiteboard. Or just 1-2 people you chatted with. It was random.

Don't forget you are interviewing them as well.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
psych testing

What does the psych test cover or reveal?

Just curious because I've only had that done a couple times and I did not get those jobs.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Interviews for job's in today's world. Reply with quote

LowType2 wrote:

I kind of like it and I think it's a good idea. I get to meet and talk with the head of the department that I might get to work in.

Anyway's happy Friday fawkers Wink

At my job there's often a few waves and each time the list gets shorter and shorter. For example, HR might weed through a dozen candidates. Then the hiring manager culls it down to three. Then the hiring manager's manager will speak with the three and then a decision is made.

I see your situation as good news…you didn't get voted off the island.

Good luck. I hope you get the job.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
andk5591 wrote:
psych testing

Just curious because I've only had that done a couple times and I did not get those jobs.

He forgot Polygraph, and the Psych test reveals your outlook towards crime, criminals and how you react or would react in several different situations. It may also determine if you are apt for that particular kind of job. What kind of person you are or what you may become after this job.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do more of the blue collar side of work and it use to be that you would walk into a place with a resume or not, fill out a app, and either talk to the manager then(which I kinda consider the first interview) or be told when you could come back to talk to them

the last few years if you walk into some place with a resume you get a weird look and told to go to their website and apply
of course most of those online apps include some aptitude test with several questions that either do not have anything to do with the job you are applying for or are the same 5-10 questions over and over just re-worded differently each time and most have to do with stealing, wasting time at work, or narcing on co-workers

of course after all that you can't find out if you pass it or not and there is never contact info to talk to anyone to make a follow up on it
you just have to wait to see if you are the 1 in 100 and/or 1000 of applicants that gets magically choose by their computer program to get a interview by someone who knows absolutely nothing about the job you applied for and spends the whole time asking the same questions a shrink would during your first court appointed session Rolling Eyes

so if you have ever wondered why the person at the local corporately owned hardware or autoparts store this is why

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really worry about what it would be like to look for and apply for a job outside of my industry. I'm 45 and haven't looked for a new job in a LOOONG time.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
I really worry about what it would be like to look for and apply for a job outside of my industry. I'm 45 and haven't looked for a new job in a LOOONG time.

I'm 38 and can no longer work in the same fleid i use to because of health reasons
So with no experience in other fleids i'm pretty sure most of my apps just get throw away Rolling Eyes

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
andk5591 wrote:
psych testing

There are 2 different tests we use depending on the position. The basic one that everybody gets costs me something like $50. What is does is give and indication of reliability, work ethics, personal integrity, and a couple other things like that. It supplies interview questions or potential concerns - like if the person felt it was OK to take illegal drugs at work or had issues with co-workers. I don't totally base hiring on this one - but it gives me some things to watch for. And people can lie or be coached on how to take this type of test.

BUT the higher level test was more intensive and thorough. Was lengthy - like an hour or more and asked you the same question multiple times and in different ways. Gave a lot more detailed report. Had things like how the person handled stress, what motivates them, creativity, etc. The report is very lengthy and it costs something like $150 or more.

I had all of the management take the "big one" a couple years ago - including me and my wife/business partner. It was scary accurate. Revealed some things to me about myself that I actually didnt realize - but it was 100% correct. Was a real eye opener.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a guy once who used to love to tell this story about those aptitude tests-- He got out of the military after Korea, drifted back to his home town, got a job with Safeway, worked hard, and became assistant manager of the local store.

He was in line to be promoted to store manager, and Safeway gave him one of those tests. They told him the test showed he had no leadership or management abilities, and as a result, would probably never rise any higher with the Safeway organization, and he certainly wasn't qualified to manage a Safeway store.

He quit Safeway and went to work for another grocery chain. He would up President of one of the largest grocery companies in the country. He said he was mad at Safeway for about the first 10 years, but after that he realized he owed them everything. If they had made him store manager like he wanted, he would have been happy running his home town Safeway and would probably never have moved past that.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Dana Andrews at the end of The Best years of Our Lives. He got back from WW2 and couldn't find work, then told a guy he didn't know how to fly a bomber 3 years ago, but could learn anything. I think that's the right attitude.

Me - I'll be celebrating D-Day 70th anniversary next week. That was a huge one-try gamble, and it worked, to get a beachhead into northern Europe. Basically all Hitler's generals - including Rommel - knew by the end of the day that the war was lost. Stupid Hitler - who considered himself a military genius - and genius in everything else - commented that now they had the Allies right where they wanted them, as untouchable in England. Hitler kept forces in Calais even after the landing, figuring Normandy was just a diversion; that was after they finally woke him up several hours after the invasion started, all were afraid to wake him. So stupid, but good for us.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 57. It took me 11 months to find a job after being laid off. It's funny how many jobs that I applied for that were EXACT matches to my skill set and experience, and I never even got a call. No age discrimination? Bullshit. I finally found a company that needed maturity, work ethic, experience, and skills. After 5 interviews, I was finally hired. Kind of unusual, but my first interview ended up being with the CEO, and I didn't even know it. Apparently they do this deliberately to keep the candidate more at ease. Odd, but effective.

If you can believe what you read, after age 54 your chances of finding a similar position in your prior industry is well below 50% and you are fortunate to get a salary above 40% of what you made previously. One of the many "benefits" that come with the golden years.
LowType2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after 4 hours yesterday... I WAS OFFERED THE JOB and I TOOK IT.

The hours are the only drawback right now (but can change in the future with my hardwork and attendance)

It's the evening shift till 10pm and weekends having Wed. and Thurs off. The GF isn't too thrilled but it's a job I should be happy to go to.

Pay is a $1.65 more per hour than my last and has good benefits. It is more of a drive but it is almost all highway miles!

I'm pretty excited start Monday the 9th Wink
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! 'The squeaking wheel gets the grease!' Very Happy
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LowType2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Congrats! 'The squeaking wheel gets the grease!' Very Happy

Thank you sir! Very Happy
camaroboi13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job bud (no pun intended lol) work is getting hard to come by these days. Congrats, enjoy!

$1.65 per hour doesn't sound like much, but when you average 2000 hours per year, that's an extra 3300 in your pocket. Should be more than enough to cover the gas money from the extra mileage.

FFL GUN DEALER! PM ME FOR SOCAL TRANSFERS!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: