Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on Bodywork
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Advice on Bodywork Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm restoring a split window bus and after measuring the thickness of the paint, I realized there was too much going on on the engine lid. After creating a sand storm in my shop, this is what was under the 3/8 cake of filler and paint. I want to save it, because the price of a replacement is insane.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How would you go about trying to repair this mess? Would you try to re-skin the lid or would you pull it high with studs and then try to shrink it back down flat?

Let me know your thoughts. Any advice would be appreciated.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Bodywork Reply with quote

58Sleeper wrote:

How would you go about trying to repair this mess? .

pull out my credit card Laughing you have to ask yourself, is it worth your time? you will have 40-100 hours trying to make it right.....way more if you want 'no filler'

that panel has been so over worked, it will take alot of work to make it right.

if it was the last one on the planet.....go for it, otherwise, buy a nice clean one

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about this... Lord knows I like the easy route most of the time. But when the car is mostly complete, it means you already shelled out a hefty penny. Since time and money are proportional, I want to take the time and keep my money. I have more time than money.

This project is about learning, more than saving time. The thought of patching in a new skin doesn't seem that hard or time consuming. The metal shrinking I never did before, which is why I am asking what would other more experienced people would do.

Mostly looking online, this lid is in better shape than most for sale. Smile
CanadianBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a bodyman for 30 years... there is no way I'd waste my time trying to straighten that mess.
Spend some money on a new or better one and devote your time to somewhere else.
No matter what value you put on your time, you'll have more time in that lid than it'll ever be worth, and at the end of the day, you'll have a repaired panel that you might not be happy with.

*my two cents worth*

Mike

bodywork isn't a fucking race.
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

No disrespect, but I understand your point. Professional body repair people never spend too much time on a customer's car, in a lot of aspects. I'm not saying this your case, but saving time on insurance jobs makes a lot sense.

My question is, can you repair the engine lid? If so, then this is what I am trying to gain from it. I've seen people completely fabricate fenders for roasters, rebuild door skins etc. This is the craftsmanship that is lost in today's quick fix world, with fixed price insurance configuration that places time vs money. This is not the case, I'm restore my car for fun.

Anyways, I am taking the advice offered, but while I am trying to find a new lid, I'll see how easy it is to fix. This lid on my 57 only ran for 1 year. In the same year, there was a version that had another light hole above the license plate. My 57 came later in the year and shares the same deck lid as 1958 and only half of 1958s came with this lid.

The suckers are hard to find. There is only one being sold on the Samba right now and it might be as dogged as mine. My biggest fear is, I'll buy a good used lid, and I'll sand it down and it will be just the same or worst. Here is the condition of my lid when I got the Bus. I had no clue this was going on under it.

I do appreciate your advice and I am almost certain I will be following it if I like or not.. Laughing
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First hour.. Shocked

panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda happy to see you're rolling up your sleeves. Double cool that you already have a pic posted. Keep up on the progress pictures- I'm tuning in!
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Panicman, I will do that. I can keep track of the hours, as I am only allowed 1 to 2 hours a day, 3 days per week on my car. I have a big boss at home. So, it will be easy to track the time it took.

If I fail, I'll know that I tried. I don't just want to chuck it, original VW parts are vanishing.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58Sleeper wrote:
Mike,

No disrespect, but I understand your point. Professional body repair people never spend too much time on a customer's car, in a lot of aspects....

if they are good, they do. actually, most body guys I know take a bath trying to bury hours..

you are on the right track. and, if you own a split, you have more money than me!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
CanadianBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58Sleeper wrote:
Mike,

No disrespect, but I understand your point. Professional body repair people never spend too much time on a customer's car, in a lot of aspects. I'm not saying this your case, but saving time on insurance jobs makes a lot sense.

No disrespect taken.

I should have added I've been a restoration bodyman for most of those thirty years... panels like yours are quite common in the resto biz.
No matter who foots the bill, time is money. Ever try justifying a bill for a lot of hours to a customer when all he sees is a now-straight panel? T'aint easy. Smile
I'm glad to see you jump in to the repair. Keep posting pics of your progress

bodywork isn't a fucking race.
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it make more sense to cut out the worst of it and replace with truer panel where you can?
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy Steve,

Yes, I've come to this conclusion on my own. This was my original question. I'm going to re-skin the whole lid. I was thinking save the license plate area (the pressed area) and weld it into a new flat piece and re-wrap it.

58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to measure the area and have it cut on order.
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After removing all the primer, I realized the whole lid is jacked up..

58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ordered the correct size metal to replace the surface. I should have in a few days and the restore will begin. Nervous, but the worst I can do is have to pay 500 bux.

Live and Learn. And education is never free.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have to remove the outer skin anyway, could you split the two pieces to get the entire backside of the panel and just hammer and dolly it back to shape? That's what I would try, along with some "grinding disc put on upside down metal shrinking" if necessary.

The rear apron on my 70 was similar with about a 1/2" of bondo from a previous owner. I removed the inside panel, ground off the bondo, and just worked it back to shape in a few hours.

Just a thought....

Dan
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got the sheet metal cut down to the correct size. Going to Canada this week, so I'll pick up the project when I get back.

58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it an actual flat panel or does it have any crown? If it does, do you intend to use a English wheel to put the crown in it?

Dan
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good question. I am going to have to check the surface of a good lid. My lid was so damage, I couldn't get that information. If it has curvature, I guess I'll have to figure that one out. Smile Never used an english wheel before.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: