Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drag racing transaxles
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gkeeton it sounds like I should stay with swing, do you have an estimate of what a built type 1 swing transaxle will be able to handle? Thanks guys for all the info guys,
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Sahall wrote:
how much torque can a stock 002 or 091 take?

I cant say, but I have a built 2.5 Subaru in my 70 bus with a 091. I have been blowing through 1st,2nd and chirping 3rd for a few hundred miles. mind you, this is a mystery junk yard transmission. no issues to report.

so, basically, I have added 3x the power it was designed for and have hammered it every chance I get with no issues. yet Twisted Evil

On a prepped Dragstrip with slicks? I know of someone with a street buggy with a 4.3 liter Chevy V-6 with a stock 091 that has not had an issue. Abusive driving with treaded street tires on dry pavement is a little different than slicks at the track. I also know of a few with buggies with 1915's having less than 100 hp clean the teeth off of first gear, or the spider gears of a diff. Regardless of which VW transaxle you use, they all will require some modification upgrades to live at the dragstrip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sahall wrote:
@gkeeton it sounds like I should stay with swing, do you have an estimate of what a built type 1 swing transaxle will be able to handle? Thanks guys for all the info guys,

A close friend had an 1800lb. 66 Beetle with a 2332 running around 12 flat for 300 passes using a built swing axle. It had a gusseted case, the 3.78 1st, 1.58 3rd, 1.21 4th, superdiff, hd side plate, and old school sway-a-way swing axles. After 300 passes, the cross shafts in the housing of the super diff were loose, but everything else in the trans looked great. I would stay away from the sway-a-ways now a days, but you don't need a set of $1000 Karpiola's. Here's a good quality set that are about the middle of the road in price, but at the upper end in quality.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1548348
It's also about proper suspension set up. A much lower hp engine could have destroyed that transaxle with a poor set up that allowed the trans to move, or wheels to hop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess my 2276 is putting out 160-170 hp and gobs of torque. Within 40 miles "I" took out two pro street type trannies. Stepped up to a pro comp plus rancho and all is well so far. Don't forget the axles... To my door was 2500... No core. 3.88 and close gears.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam

Last edited by MURZI on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sahall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gkeeton thanks a lot for the help man, I think I'm going to contact rancho and see what they can build me.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also talk with the shop that built the trans for the 66 Beetle with the 2332. It's called Jim's Custom VW's, in Columbiana Ohio.
http://jimscustomvw.com
If you speak with Jim, the owner of the 66 Beetle's name is Bill Sewak (last name pronounced "sea walk") if you want more info on that perticular trans.
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a gentle clutch foot to avoid breaking a VW tranny. Right hand on the E-brake to keep the car stagged, and your left foot slipping the clutch to remove all free play in the driveline, along with the right foot keeping the RPM at 4,800RPM to make the launches consistant takes some practice.
You might as well get the idea of it never breaking out of you knogen. It will happen. I look at the parts in my race car as through away stuff. I''ll build it better after this stuff breaks !
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Sahall wrote:
how much torque can a stock 002 or 091 take?

I cant say, but I have a built 2.5 Subaru in my 70 bus with a 091. I have been blowing through 1st,2nd and chirping 3rd for a few hundred miles. mind you, this is a mystery junk yard transmission. no issues to report.

so, basically, I have added 3x the power it was designed for and have hammered it every chance I get with no issues. yet Twisted Evil

On a prepped Dragstrip with slicks? I know of someone with a street buggy with a 4.3 liter Chevy V-6 with a stock 091 that has not had an issue. Abusive driving with treaded street tires on dry pavement is a little different than slicks at the track. I also know of a few with buggies with 1915's having less than 100 hp clean the teeth off of first gear, or the spider gears of a diff. Regardless of which VW transaxle you use, they all will require some modification upgrades to live at the dragstrip.

no slicks. and making more than a stock Subaru with my combo. although not dyno'ed the machine shop who is pretty Subaru-centric (and has done similar builds) is thinking more like 225-230 at the flywheel.

I can pull from 4th at 1500 rpms to 70 pretty quick. just waiting for a local dyno day to present itself so I can get real numbers.

but my build wasn't about 1/4 mile times etc, it was about surprising the hell out of people.

that, and there is no way on the planet I could build myself even a 1904 that would come close in power for what I have into my swap. no oil leaks, no Chinese parts, no problem!

and, getting 25 mpg in a bus at 75 is just a added bonus!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Type I transaxle is all you need for a 175 HP engine that could run 13.0's in the 1/4. All these "Pro Street" and "Pro Comp" names don't mean a damn thing. A good Transaxle that can handle 175 HP and drag slicks is going to be $2000-$2500. You must decide if you want a race car gearing or a street car gearing, you CAN NOT have both. You will have to compromise one or the other. One thing that destroys transaxles is using way too heavy of clutch & pressure plate. The Ring & Pinion gear cracks over time and can't take endless abuse. With 175 HP expect a total rebuild after 200 full 1/4 mile passes.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Drag racing transaxles Reply with quote

Well I have been drag raceing vws since 1969 and still raceing vws .i don't know every thing abouts a vw transaxle because I am still learning about a vw transaxle . Over the years I have broke my fair share of vw gear boxes .Any one who has ever raced a vw car knows about this old saying .how fast do you want to go how much money do you have . Believe me over the years .I have spent well over $100,000 racing vws .i wish had had some of that money back too lol .here's my two cents. I know you want to use a swing trans.to me I have found out the that a Swing trans are a big pain in the ass .I like the IRS trans because if it breaks you can change it real fast at the drag strip . I have lost money drag raceing with a swing trans. Be cause it broke at the track. And I could not Change it in time to race .For a new be like you. I would find a good thing trans .it was one of the strongest transaxles Vw ever made . I like the strong 10 tooth spider gears it has .I like the 378 first gear and I like the 94 forth gear with the strongest 4:125 ring and piñion gear .vw ever made for a bug and thing . I would rebuild it using a older 1st and second trans bearings found in from 1962 to 1967 bugs .you would have to hand pack 3rd gear with bearings from gene berg if they still sell them .on4 th gear you can use a bearing from a 1962 to 1967 trans .over the years I have found out that these older bearings hold up under drag raceing use . I then would install a IRS super diff using 4 10 tooth spider gears. Allso you can use the bus CV joints I allways use solid trans mounts with a rear eng. mount .i like using a pro grip clutch disc. Using a stock pressure plate for a 100 HP motor and a 1700 lb for bigger motor . I a sure others build there trans .differnt from what I do .like I said just my two cents take it or leave it lol spencerfveequote="Dr OnHolliday"]Hi guys:

My son and I are considering going racing - starting from the most basic level to learn our lessons - ie using a type 1, close to stock but stripped down and dedicated to racing. We would hope to upgrade over time. I'm ASSUMING a swingaxle...

I'm interested in your experience and opinions on various levels of transaxle upgrades, on whichever basis you want (ie HP level or et).

FOR EXAMPLE:

Up to xx HP / yy sec ET a stock transaxle is OK.
At zz HP / aa sec ET you need to weld 3 & 4 gears (or whatever)
Etc
Etc
At 8 sec you need a Weddle or Mendeola ____ transaxle

Thanx[/quote]
Sahall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I will look into that gkeeton. Vwracerdave, for gearing I was thinking close 1st through 3rd and a stock 4th, is that a bad idea? Is 3.88 r/p the way to go? I would like to have a berg 5 one day but that's way out of my price range right now.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 50% street 50% strip car I would run a 4.12 R&P with stock 1/2 and close 3/4. For a full street car that will only see the track 1-2 a year I would run a stock geared trans and run the 1/4 in 3 gears. For a full race car 3.88 R&P and a close 1/2 mainshaft. Currently they cost around $1000. Another option is 2 sets of rear wheels. A set of smaller tires for the drag strip and a set of taller tires for road trips to grandma's house.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gearing is going to depend on engine output, and if you are running 1/8 mile, or 1/4 mile races. Like Dave mentioned, you can't have both track, and street gears with a 4sp. If running 1/8 mile, you could run close 1-3 for the track with a stock 4th, but the hole between 3rd/4th is going to be miserable, and close 1st/2nd gearsets are going to increase the overall cost by $700-$1000. For 1/4 mile you could run stock 1st, 2nd, and 4th, and shorten 3rd ever so slightly for optimum rpm at the end of the 1/4 mile. You could also run the stock 1st/2nd with shorter 3rd/4th, or close 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th for the 1/4 mile, but it won't be too much fun to drive on the street.

A 3.88 r&p is going to be the strongest in stock form, but overall gearing (gear ratio x r&p) is going to depend on engine output to be optimum. A lot say a 3.88 r&p with a 3.78 1st is actually quite tall in a full weight Beetle with slicks making less than 150hp. Will a 3.88x3.78 1st "work" with less than 150hp, yeah, but a 4.12x3.78, or 3.88x4.11 may work better. The latter combo with the 4.11 is going to be an aftermarket mainshaft that's going to set you back $1000.

Edit: Dave treed me on the gearing!
Sahall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I have most of the info I need to make a decision, thanks for all your suggestions and time guys, I appreciate it greatly
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did a 3.78/2.25/1.42/1.04 3.88 final

Considerably closer spacing, and GREAT as a street trans with 28-30 tall tire.

but you pretty much have to be a baha bug or ratrod to pull that off the giant "street" tire
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money is always the bottom line. If you just want to start out building one trans- have at it. Run that and you will soon find out what mods you need to make it last. There are parts that come in different years trans bug or bus that you can use.
To go Bus into Bug will not be cheap....like Dave Folts setup. IRS guts but Swing outboards.
Strict Swing axle is the simplest you can go. You can use late gears and pinion/ gears into early tunnels. There are also Bus gears already welded from factory- I love these!
You want to make it last , you have to pay attention to the 'preloads' and clearances. Gotta have the tranny tools for this . Cannot wing it or you will have parts scattered along the track.

I suggest you try and do a simple overhaul on one tranny and see if that is something you want to delve into.
Hope this helps.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: gearbox Reply with quote

bugguy076 wrote:
It takes a gentle clutch foot to avoid breaking a VW tranny. Right hand on the E-brake to keep the car stagged, and your left foot slipping the clutch to remove all free play in the driveline, along with the right foot keeping the RPM at 4,800RPM to make the launches consistant takes some practice.

This is pretty much exactly how I drag race and it certainly saves gearboxes! I've used two Rancho Pro Comp's so far, with over 300 quarter-mile races on each (sold the first one to another racer and he kept going) and the second box is still going strong. It helps to keep some air pressure in the tires for wheel spin.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a cool thread on another forum about doing a 10 sec bug -- Richie has a low 8 sec bug in the UK

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,18831.0.html

I'm running over 240 HP with a 091 built by Benco (I've also had very good luck with Wright gear boxes) with a dual disc clutch by Kennedy,,, I wouldn't dream of trying to run swing axles with the crap axles being supplied today -- -- my experience is that clutch management is really what makes or breaks a trans -- the better the management the longer the life -- a simple switch over to a hydraulic clutch system with the release slowed down by one of several methods and you're golden -- -- most of the ProMod guys running over 1000HP use either a Hydraulic system or a compressed air system to make their trans live and yes these guys can destroy a $10K Mendy very quickly if their management isn't set up just right -- -- A lot of guys are now migrating to the REV 6 clutch system built and sold by Ron Lumus (RLR) and that seems to be a real hot ticket for trans life

The problem with using tire slip for your management is that all it takes is a few seconds of wheel hop with a moderately powered car and your going to break lots of stuff quickly
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi here's something to think about .i see a lot of new bees at vw shows .drag raceing there new race cars .They go out and spend a lot of money on there race cars . then I see them the next year trying to sell there race cars. And they are lucky to get half there money back when they sell there race car .most of them sell there race cars because they break parts .and spend a lot of money fixing there race cars . I know a guy that bought a pro mod car and drove it 3 times and sold it because it scared the hell out of him lol. if I were you I would not spend a lot of money on a trans to start with because drag raceing can be boring to some people .my self I have waited up to 4 hrs and longer to race at some tracks .allso you must ask your self can you handle a . high HP vw race car . They can be a bear to handle .i have seen some turbo 10 second vw race cars get out of the grove and there al over the track .there Allso a bear to handle in a cross wind at the end of a track .i had the wind pick my bug up and put me in the other lane .on a real high wind day .my best friend broke a axle at 80 mph and hit the guard rail the car went upside down and over the guard rail .he almost got killed the race car was junk .thats why I don't like spools .or locked rear gears you break a axle and your going to take the ride of your life . With a spool or locked rear end gears . What I am saying is try drag racing first to see if you like it and most of all be carefull .i am not trying to put drag racing down I love racing just my two cents spencerfveequote="Sahall"]Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I will look into that gkeeton. Vwracerdave, for gearing I was thinking close 1st through 3rd and a stock 4th, is that a bad idea? Is 3.88 r/p the way to go? I would like to have a berg 5 one day but that's way out of my price range right now.[/quote]
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it simple: Start with a standard, ex-wreckers yard gearbox with fresh oil. This will enable you to learn the craft/discipline of drag racing without spending much money. And... you may be surprised how much flogging a standard gearbox can handle Smile

Many successful VW drag cars are swingers but my preference is for IRS; my 'drag' cars are also track/handling cars and of course IRS provides better handling. As mentioned, a late Cabrio is the best source for a gearbox, although it allegedly has a weak 3rd gear (I have not damaged one so cannot confirm)

With IRS, the standard CVs act like a fuse, breaking before a diff.

The IRS boxes are FAR easier to R&R at a track (or at home) if/when required.

A driveshaft and two CVs can be replaced in around 10 minutes without lifting the car (as long as you are skinny!)

With a broken diff/box, your car can remain mobile/rolling by removing both axles

Hope this helps
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: