Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are my options to improve stock 40hp performance
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't try to hot rod an engine that's not running right...fix it first!
40hps are not very powerful but it seems like you're missing some horses somewhere! as someone suggested check timing and make sure you have 99% full throttle
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What are my options to improve stock 40hp performance Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:
bikerbus wrote:
snowbug wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
I have a completely stock and original transmission and 40hp engine (28 PICT with OE jets, big cap distributor pierberg fuel pump, etc.) in my completely stock still 6V 1962 sunroof beetle. Tire air pressure is where it should be and brakes are not dragging.

The engine starts and runs like a dream, idles great, accelerates smoothly, and mpg is decent.

There are about 43K miles on the engine. Compression is at least 100psi in all 4 cylinders.

I feel like I have very little high end torque after 3rd gear and about 40mph. If I can get it to 55 I can keep it there on the flats but on an incline or any headwind I gradually lose speed and cannot regain. I can maintain maybe 40 mph at best until I hit a downhill and I can regain my speed. Top speed on the flat with no wind is maybe 55 to 60.

I'm wondering what my options are to maybe improve top end speed while keeping the engine visually stock.

I'm hoping to do something (jetting? venturi?) to get me through the summer driving season and perhaps something more invasive (different cam? P/C?) over the winter when I could pull the engine and split the case if necessary.

What options do I have for summer and then what options do I have for a more invasive improvement with the engine apart.

Maintaining a totally stock appearance is of utmost importance.

Thanks all.
I have a bone stock 1965 40 pounder in my zwitter. Well it has a 30 pict carb and 4 tip muffler. It will go 80mph. Had it doing 89 once down a big hill. Motor came out of a dune buggy in the 70s . Put it in my first car a 65 and I put 30,000 on it. Loaned the motor to my brother in the 80s so he could drive to work in his 68. Sat in my garage for many years. It has unknown mileage , still has lots of pep. It has never been apart. Jim

So what RPM's were you turning at 80 MPH?
No tach!

Cool. I have a '67 bus with 15x8's on the back.....never will see 80MPH. The engine is right @ 100HP, but since a bus is not too aerodynamic, it only gets to 70. That's @ 3600+ RPM. I can live with that!! Smile

COMFORTABLY NUMB!!
-Pink Floyd
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: What are my options to improve stock 40hp performance Reply with quote

"nlorntson"

Have you changed the carb yet? I have a 28 PICT on my '62 (1385 ) and it performs well from idle to hill climbing and 85+ top speed. Stock except for the 83's. It had great top speed before the big bore set.
Got to think it's the carb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: