Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aircooled to EJ22 Conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShultzRoadHouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Aircooled to EJ22 Conversion Reply with quote

Well I took the plunge and I purchased a '93 Subaru Legacy from the Copart auction site last weekend. The engine has 141,000 on the ODO and it started up great and ran so smooth. I also plan on purchasing the RMW conversion kit and having maybe having them do the harness. I am in the process of aquiring all the cooling bits (radiator, coolant lines, fan) as I hope to be starting the conversion in the fall.
My question is, can Rocky Mountain Westy modify the harness to work with the aircooled Van or is the modified harness specificly modified for the '83 and later Vans? I hear that a guy named Tom Sheils does excellent harness work but does Tom do custum harness modifications for aircooled Vans? I know finding all the bits might take a while (& money) but info for converting an aircooled Van is pretty scarce. Can anyone with experience or any of you know where to point me for searching out this info. I haven't talked with Mike @ Rocky Mountain Westy yet but information is very limited for the aircooled to EJ22 conversion. I have rebuilt the 2.0 that is in it and have also rebuilt the 1600 thats in my super beetle so im not new to engines.
The subaru arrives today and I will start the engine and harness removal this weekend. I will use this thread to start my conversion process so any other aircooled Van owners might have some more info for theirs. This Van is super important to my wife and I so just buying a water cooled Van is not an option. I have some funds set aside for this project as I know it will be a more involved process. So please, any help or info will be appreciated. Thanks,
'71 Super Beetle w/ '75 AJ 1600
'12 Jetta
dreweast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took on this conversion with excellent results, learned tons about my van and had a good time doing it. I detailed a lot of it in my blog (link in my signature).
If I was to do it again i would have paid for the engine carrier rather than fab one.
I found that some of the air cooled wiring was a bit of trial and error due to minimal literature out there.
Tom Shiels is an excellent resource as is the yahoo group for the subie/vanagon conversions.

Before you tear that engine out check all the engine codes and try to fix them while in the car, this gives you a good starting point for trouble shooting when you do put it in the VW.

A donor van is helpful too for all the heating components.

Enjoy the process!

Peace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ShultzRoadHouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '93 Subuaru does not have any check engine lights on, but you bring up a good point to check codes now while its still in and running. What kind of scanner do I need to purchase? I believe this is an OBDI engine. Great blog, I knew it could be done.
'12 Jetta
sk8architecture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm sure Mike can help you and they can do the harness for the air cooled it's just not plug and play. You will have some work on your end. Most of the Harness work is just removing all the components not used. I would have to look back at my files but you really only need 4 wires to run the motor with the van. 1. Power through started to alternator, 2. Power to the ECU, 3. Ignition wire to turn on ECU, and wire from ECU to Fuel pump. The rest of the wiring that interfaces to the Van are your gauges which on the air cooled you really don't have. So on mine I ran new wires so I could have oil pressure, tach, and water temp. Used the existing OXS light for my check engine light. Send me a PM and I can try to scan and send you my wiring notes and it should make more sense.

I used the RMW kit and it is awesome. Your trans axle will sit back about 1.25" further back so it will not reach the trans mount. I simply extended the nose brackets on the Trans axle using some angle iron. I can send you pics of that as well.
nepawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: aircooled to ej Reply with quote

I'm doing it right now. Let me know if I can help. 80 vanagon and ej 25 dohc. Trying to figure out a cooling system now. Radiator is in and I'm working on the plumbing. Expansion tank etc...
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it too with my 82. I had great results. Let me know if you need help or suggestions.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled to EJ22 Conversion Reply with quote

At one point I was going to do the exact same swap. During that time, I contacted Tom and he kindly provided relevant info.

He's only a phone call away, and I'm not speaking for him, but I bet he could do the wiring mods required.

One suggestion that may be covered or completely not applicable.

Compare the air cooled ign. coil (15 buss) wire gauge to the OEM wire gauge as used on the Suby. That wire on the Suby may be significantly bigger.

Neil.

ShultzRoadHouse wrote:

My question is, can Rocky Mountain Westy modify the harness to work with the aircooled Van or is the modified harness specificly modified for the '83 and later Vans? I hear that a guy named Tom Sheils does excellent harness work but does Tom do custum harness modifications for aircooled Vans?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ShultzRoadHouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE#1

I wanted to get more done last weekend but I completly degreased and cleaned the engine & drained/ removed the radiator. Would the suby radiator fit in the Van?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next on the list is to discharge( any tips?) the A/C, remove the power steering pump and start labeling.

Cheers,
'12 Jetta
nepawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. My 96 legacy radiator would not fit. Too wide.
veloandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a similar swap and have loved it. I used a lot of different vendors' parts to piece together my swap. I have been SUPER happy with everything I got from RMW.

I have a set of factory wiring diagrams. PM me with your email address if you want me to send you a copy. I did the harness myself -- it wasn't too bad, but I've done wiring before.

All the aircooled wires you'll need go to the double relay in the driver/front corner of the engine bay (Power, On, start, power to fuel pump). Note that the heavy gauge constant power line to the double relay is NOT FUSED from the factory!! I suggest adding an inline fuse.

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Compare the air cooled ign. coil (15 buss) wire gauge to the OEM wire gauge as used on the Suby. That wire on the Suby may be significantly bigger.

I don't think that's a big deal. The "on" power wire is mostly used to switch the Subaru main relay. The power to the fuel injection mostly comes from the heavy-gauge (10-12ga?) + wire (via the relay).

Other wires that connect to the van (oil light, alternator wiring) are separate from the main engine harness.

New wires from the subaru ECU (check engine light, radiator fan wiring, tach) have to be added from scratch.

I used a junction block like this one with wires going to the ECU on one side and wires to the van on the other to hook everything up. That makes everything easy to see and troubleshoot.

I used a stock Vanagon radiator in front. It needs to be really narrow to fit up between the frame rails.

Badassdubs found with his breadbox build that a Dodge Dakota radiator fits. That could be a good option if you like filling the radiator from the highest point in the cooling system.

ShultzRoadHouse wrote:
Would the suby radiator fit in the Van?

This van in the classifieds (not mine/never seen in person) looks like it uses the stock Subaru radiator in back:

I considered doing something like this, but went with the stock setup instead. A rear radiator would make the swap a lot less involved. I wonder how well it cools at speed.

Good luck! It's a lot of work, but if you make it to the other side you won't regret it!

Later,
-Andy
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veloandy: cool. I get it. Very different set up.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
brentw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShultzRoadHouse wrote:
The '93 Subuaru does not have any check engine lights on, but you bring up a good point to check codes now while its still in and running. What kind of scanner do I need to purchase? I believe this is an OBDI engine. Great blog, I knew it could be done.

You can read your codes by plugging the green test connectors (located in the donor subaru under the dash just to the right of the steering column) together and reading the blinking lights on your ecu mil light in the dash.
Long intervals between flashes are 10's. Quick flashes are 1's. YOu add up the tens and then add up the 1's to get your code. I have a lookup of codes out on my site at http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/
Go to Suby Engine-1 > Wiring > Table Listing of Computer Codes for the Subaru Engines
also have a writeup on resetting codes and reading codes at
Go to Suby Engine-1 > Wiring > Idiots Guide to Subaru EJ ECU Codes

I have a lot of decent information that might be helpful to you on wiring and such. http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/Pending_Content/Engine_Conversion/02RemainingWiring/
There are a few diagrams in there that will help you out with your 93 suby.

Give a holler if you have any questions. I co-moderate the yahoo subaruvanagons group with Tom Shiels.
All the best with your project,
Brent