Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2015 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alpenmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: 2015 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 Reply with quote

I really like everything about Vanagon as far as the coolness factor, uniqueness "ahead" of its time etc... . honestly.

However, wanting to use and drive one daily, does require extensive and expensive modifications. Furthermore, I am also struggling to justify spending +$40K for a nice 25 year old Syncro. No doubt, a high percentage of this price is in the uniqueness and collectability. However, to be compliant with modern times, these rigs do need quite a lot of modifications and maintenance.... at least that is what I have gleaned in this forum.

There is now an option. If you have the means to find a rust free original syncro and do the mods yourself, this won't apply to you. But as far as I can tell having read countless threads, most need the mods done by pros.

So if you are willing to spend $45-50K for a brand new Sprinter, perhaps this may appeal to you. This 4x4 system is designed and installed by Oberaigner of Germany and will be "military grade", ...just quoting what I have read.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1403-2015-mercedes-benz-sprinter-4x4/

[/list]
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The base sprinter starts at ~37k, plus 18-25 for the 4x4 option. Any extra bells and whistles and your basically at 60k, non camperized.

Nice rigs but not really compact, no locking differential, and in no way as off road capable as a syncro. This would be nice in slick icy conditions but not sure what else.

Spend close to half that on a engine converted westy syncro.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few thoughts as I own both a Sprinter and Eurovan. (Both mine in the picture below).

The Sprinter, even the shortest one, is on a completely different size scale than the Eurovan/Vanagon.

I know people like to compare them but they really are in a different class. The Sprinter is definitely more useful for some things but nowhere near as car sized and convenient as a Vanagon/Eurovan sized camper van.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a stock/standard size sprinter? I didnt release they were that big.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrshrimp wrote:
Is that a stock/standard size sprinter? I didnt release they were that big.

That one is the previous generation 158" wheelbase highroof. (2002-2006). (The newer ones are bigger)

But you can see that where the high roof starts is still much higher than the roof of the Eurovan next to it! So even a low roof Sprinter is tall.

Here is the current 2007+ gen 170" next to a Eurovan Rialta

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple of other size comparison photos here.

This is the short wheelbase of the current generation Sprinter. With a low roof and Poptop.

Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, one more set. Sorry they are all Euros for size comparison.

The 2015 4x4 Sprinter will also sit 3-4" higher than a 2wd version.

This is a short wheelbase current Sprinter, low roof, poptop next to the long wheelbase Winnebgo Eurovan full camper.

Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of the height in the Sprinter is due to the high floor caused by the rear wheel drive layout. Its amazing how high the floor is compared to the Vanagon or Eurovan and the loss of space due to the design.

If only we could get the VW T5.....
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Alot of the height in the Sprinter is due to the high floor caused by the rear wheel drive layout. Its amazing how high the floor is compared to the Vanagon or Eurovan and the loss of space due to the design.

Yup!! Totally agree.

I do like my Sprinter, but there is a reason I sitll have the VW too!
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love one... I love my Kaya but I would love something with more modern amenities... someday I will buy a sprinter... now I have to pay off rebuilding the motor...

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:

The height has been a bit of an issue to me compared to my Eurovan. Granted 3500 has slightly larger wheels than you would find on a stock 2500 but you can see here how the floor height could be a concern.

Alpenmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on all accounts.... They are all different vehicles.

The Sprinter is an option and in my opinion, a very good option for many in the 144" high top. Versus EVs and Vanagons, the Sprinter is nothing short of awesome for lots of travel with hours of highway time etc... For those using as a daily driver, sure the EV and Vanagon are smaller which make them convenient for hopping around town.

For long range travel, which a lot of folks use their EVs and Vanagons, High Top Sprinter properly/modestly equipped in a 144" wheelbase is outstanding. Now with the 4X4 option, very compelling, plus I like standing up inside the van and having a warranty.

The base Sprinter can be purchased for $34K from the right dealer. The 4X4 option pricing was just released yesterday at the Sprinter dealer gathering... <$8K. With modest up-fitting you are now looking at $50K all in. Sure it will depreciate a little, but the 4X4 version will hold up better than the RWD.

I really like Vanagons a lot .. especially Syncros, but $40-50K for a 25 yr old Westy still needing maintenance and modifications is expensive. For a freshened up go Westy at +$70K is even harder....
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the modernized/updated idea, especially the warranty. But you could probably just get a RWD with chains or studded tires for winter conditions and get as much out of it.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2015 Sprinter 4x4 Available Reply with quote

Alpenmeister wrote:
However, wanting to use and drive one daily,

Are you going to drive your 4x4 Sprinter "daily"?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:

Yeah! I have a serious lust for the Tdi 4-motion camper!

Modified like this

but a california camper version, like this

Drool

Unfortunately I have to wait unitl 2035 to import the model I would want... and it wouldn't have quite the off road agility that my syncro has. BUT I do think that I will wnat a more hwy-friendly camper when I retire to be able to really travel in comfort for months at a time.

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a 2015 Ford Low Roof Transit Van with a poptop. These are the full size Transit Vans. The base price is $33,000 but no 4x4 at this time. Hopefully it will be garageable. That is one of my requirements living in Hurricane country. My Westy survived Hurricane Andrew in 1992 very nicely in my garage. No so for our cars outside. I also like the smaller size vans for around town. The Sprinter seems very large and subject to crosswinds. To bad VW will never bring in the T5 California. Also, Ford has a nice van in Europe called the Ford Terrier with a beautiful conversion by Wellhouse.

http://wellhouseleisure.com/ford/[url]
scottbott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are plenty of rusty sprinters over here,some are fairly new,the mercedes vito are very prone to rust as well
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpenmeister wrote:

I really like Vanagons a lot .. especially Syncros, but $40-50K for a 25 yr old Westy still needing maintenance and modifications is expensive. For a freshened up go Westy at +$70K is even harder....

What Vanagon model do you own now, Alpen?
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alpenmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Alpenmeister wrote:

What Vanagon model do you own now, Alpen?

None... but still got my 57' oval. Was a die hard Oval guy back in the late 80s and mid 90s. Still kept one for later in life.

Daily driver is an 88' Land Cruiser/ FJ62 ( since 95 ) and had an 03' EV Weekender, but sold it this Spring. If you have a lead on a nice rust free and unmolested Syncro for under $40K please PM me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: