Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2015 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here the T1N's with the rust problem are almost all white paint (including mine). The other colors don't have nearly the rust issue that the white ones do. Not sure if the 2007+ ones have those issues, but the ones up to 2006 do.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my windsurfing pals was looking at a used sprinter this week, but found tiny rust spots all over it, 2012, white. He found threads like this:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20173

and walked away.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprinters do have rust issues for sure. But you also need to consider that most of them are cargo vans. They get driven a lot and rarely get a through wash.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rust issues on the sprinters in the midwest are absolutely horrible. The company I was working for a few years ago wanted to get a low mileage sprinter van. I looked at many over several months and most had what I would call severe rust at under a year old. I honestly could not believe how bad some of them looked. I do not notice the problem so much out here in the west. We ended up buying a new ford E-150....not as big but they did not rust out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice how quickly this topic stopped getting new interest once it was moved. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you would get a lot more interest on a Mercedes site too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I bet you would get a lot more interest on a Mercedes site too.

Have you been to the Mercedes site for the Sprinter?

Seriously. Wink It is not full of "Van enthusiasts" like the Vanagon/Eurovan section of this forum is. Its more full of guys hauling cargo from one place to the next. If Mother Mercedes didn't approve it then its not to be discussed. (but they do let you talk about VWs if you want)

There is a reason Sprinter content keeps popping up here. Its because its of interest to those who currently own an aging Camper Van in the USA.

Many people own the latest available models of the VW Camper van in the USA because they want a Camper van. Not just or only because its a VW.

So they like to discuss other vans and options with their van loving internet friends. Idea There is actually VW discussion in this thread too Wink

I just don't see why banning discussion of other van brands within the van focused discussion areas is such a big deal?

I personally don't visit any other area of this forum, so I miss anything posted in "off topic", but do have an interest in seeing posts about other "related but maybe not specific" topics on vans.

I would say that if the topics got no views and no posts then they should be moved, but if its obvious that the people within the Vanagon/Eurovan forum are actively participating then its obviously of interest to them. Why move something that the community is actively enjoying?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
I personally don't visit any other area of this forum, so I miss anything posted in "off topic", but do have an interest in seeing posts about other "related but maybe not specific" topics on vans.

The bolded text is an issue for numerous Vanagon* people that they should change.

If you have interest in this topic, re-visit or click "Watch this topic" so you get emails for updates.

* and probably other areas too but I basically only hear this from Vanagon people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called Expanding Your Horizons.

It seems the OP was not a Vanagon enthusiast at all, but rather joined for the sole purpose of promoting the Sprinter as an alternative to a VW. Spam.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
It's called Expanding Your Horizons.

It seems the OP was not a Vanagon enthusiast at all, but rather joined for the sole purpose of promoting the Sprinter as an alternative to a VW. Spam.

So he joined a year ago to post about recent news?

Ya..... That makes sense Laughing
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops .. You're right. I was reading it wrong.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently had an event at our facility and a hightop Sprinter ended up parked next to a full size Ford Van...... For those who do not think a Sprinter is big..... Think again!

These two units are almost lined up bumper to bumper away from the camera in the same sized parking space..... The Ford is a little beyond the Sprinter but not much...... The Sprinter is a MUCH BIGGER unit! Longer and taller.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
The bolded text is an issue for numerous Vanagon* people that they should change.

The above is a rather prejudicial remark.

Westyventures and some other vanagon owners are not into them because they have the VW westy/bus disease, they are into them for function so could easily hop to the next new offering of suitable design that materializes in NA. I personally have difficulty doing it (having the disease since the late 60's) although I could see owning a reasonably priced, well appointed alternative *** companion to *** my Vw westy/syncros, primarily for super long-D travel or expedition.

But I also agree this topic should stay in the forum of origin as it's highly relevant to vanagon ownership, especially syncros which are unique only to the vanagon forum, and for those who might like to check the comparisons for function. And in my burg Sprinters are badged by both Mercedes and Freightliner and I don't see any Freightliner forums on the Samba Wink
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above is also a really late prejudicial remark.

The Syncro quantum crowd is strong too- and some of them have killed enough brain cells to also like vanagons. Cool

Glad to see this thread where it belongs- I would not have found it if I were married just to the vanagon threads- as I own several models of VWs and rarely visit the T3 threads. I had an '87 syncro vanagon for 5 years and miss it every day.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
EverettB wrote:

The above is a rather prejudicial remark.

You quoted and responded to only part of what I wrote, including omitting the bolded text I was referring to and the footnote, creating a context that can also be viewed as prejudicial.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a small self contained RV. Would have never thought of researching the Sprinter or compare it to a Eurovan thru the Samba. I always cruise this forum. Don't ever cruise the bus forums. I'm glad it was moved. I would have never found it Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest episode of Motorweek (you know -- Television's Original Automotive Magazine), dated Nov. 29, had a segment on the 2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. Kind of strange that it was a 2014 model since all of the other makes they are now covering are 2015. You can view the full episode on their website http://www.motorweek.org/ in about two weeks. The episode is titled: "2015 BMW i8".

EDIT:
That episode is --
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365383996/

Last edited by Randall on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally hate going in the vanagon forum and seeing sprinter content...

It is a perpetual problem with that section people posting off topic weather it be sprinters, astro vans, unimog etc
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
The latest episode of Motorweek (you know -- Television's Original Automotive Magazine), dated Nov. 29, had a segment on the 2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. Kind of strange that it was a 2014 model since all of the other makes they are now covering are 2015. You can view the full episode on their website http://www.motorweek.org/ in about two weeks. The episode is titled: "2015 BMW i8".

Thanks for the info!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprinter . . . BAH - it's not even a Volkswagen = no karma.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: