Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Trippers- Alaska Adventure
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Bus Trippers- Alaska Adventure Reply with quote

Hello Samba Crew!

We've been adventuring in VW buses all over the place for over 40 years, with many of those miles having been off the beaten path! My wife and I have extensively traveled Mexico, Canada, and all over the US in VW buses, and since our son was born, we've continued this adventurous tradition! Now that he's a hearty, 8 year-old little boy, it's time to step it up!

Amongst many other sailing, and traveling adventures, last winter we did a short trip through Northern Baja, coined the Baja Bus Trip. https://www.facebook.com/groups/131712057004005/

This summer we'll be heading up to Alaska, and eventually above the Arctic Circle to Inuvik NWT, CA. We'll be leaving toward the end of July, and be on the road for about a month.

Our good friends at Bad Dog Racing and Skinner Classics will be joining in this endeavor, so it will be a two-bus adventure to some of the north-most reaches of the North American continent accessible via dirt road.

We'll be updating our ABT Facebook Page, and here when we can.
https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaBusTrip

We'd like to meet people along the route, which is somewhat flexible at this point!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are a few pics from Baja!

One of our teams broke a nosecone, and we were able to source one locally, and repair it on the trip!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1015212563494...mp;theater

Off to Alaska!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Trip! Ì'll be watching this thread for sure. We are leaving for a 6000 km trip across Canada with our 3 kids in two weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're refining our itinerary, and we'd love to meet up with you! Though we're not going to stick to it exactly so as to keep open to adventure, we do have some hard dates that we'll adhere to:

Leaving Santa Cruz on July 24th headed through Oregon, Washington, and Western Canada to Anchorage. We will be heading up the 99 to 97 to Canada 16. We can deviate from this route slightly to meet with cool people.

Our first stop on the 24th will be somewhere in extreme northern CA or Southern Oregon.

The next hard date that we have to adhere to is when part of our crew flies out of Anchorage on Aug 9th in the morning. The Bad Dog Crew flies into Anchorage Aug 9th in the eve. We will be heading north through Dawson, and on into Inuvik. Then we'll make our way south; taking a different route than we took going north.

Then the only hard date after those is getting back for BugO on Aug 31st.

We hope to see you along the route somewhere!

Map area for day 1:

We've been getting the bus in order, which includes fixing a long neglected camping interior:

To try out the new table and jump seat, we had family taco night in the driveway:

More soon...

https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaBusTrip
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're coming through Calgary, let me know the approximate date and you guys can stop by for a BBQ, shower, oil change, whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are welcome to stop by. Have a great trip!
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! I don't think we'll be getting east to Calgary, but thank you very much for the offer. Mr. Box, we'll take you up on it! Haven't been there since the Kragar Kombi! Will PM.

Thanks!
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll meet lots of great folks on the way! I'll try to do the Anchorage to Dawson leg with you! You look experienced, but bring some spare parts - hah! You have a great trip planned!
Scooterboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are awesome to take on this challenge!
59 - Convertible Raceable Baja Bug
63 - Dune Buggy
65 - Single Cab
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to Mt Shasta- camp at Lake Siskiyou - rent a pontoon boat and see the Mt from the lake (google it) good fishing- beach and various camp sites.

Visit Ashland Or before you get to Medford- you won't be disappointed. Then there is Jacksonville 1850's mining town. Search the Ruch antique motors show- thats a sight to see.

Then -lunch on the river at Grants Pass- Take the mail boat cruise if you have time- nice motel right there to re-fresh.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
nigel naughton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you want to be doing this? VW Buses aren't a good choice for traveling as they tend to break down due to their poor design and lack of reliability. You should make sure you bring a crew with you with extra engines, tires, brakes, etc..pretty much everything.. so good luck!

edit: WTF am I talking about??!! haha

I just see so many people are scared to do what you are doing and putting their trust in their bus. You are doing EXACTLY what they are designed for.

Hope to see you along the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigel naughton wrote:
Are you sure you want to be doing this? VW Buses aren't a good choice for traveling as they tend to break down due to their poor design and lack of reliability. You should make sure you bring a crew with you with extra engines, tires, brakes, etc..pretty much everything.. so good luck!

edit: WTF am I talking about??!! haha

I just see so many people are scared to do what you are doing and putting their trust in their bus. You are doing EXACTLY what they are designed for.

Hope to see you along the way.

Ha! At first I was thinking, "This guy doesn't know me very well, does he?" Smile

Truth be told, We've been driving this bus all over the US, Canada, and Central America since 1994. We know about spares, believe me! Smile

The VW bus was the first vehicle that I ever rode in... on the way home from the hospital only a day old. Family rumor has it that 2 days prior, my mom didn't set the parking brake well enough on her 1968 Westy, and it started to roll down the sloping driveway. She ran to get in and pull the break, and from the stress, she immediately felt contractions. I was born the next day Smile

So, yeah, I've got a long-standing history with these shitters. We've got a mutual respect.

Let the adventure continue!

WheeliePete. Just sent you a PM! Let's connect.
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Surf City Team is packed and ready to roll! Looks like we'll be leaving on the 24th from Santa Cruz, CA, and we'll be heading to Sacramento to meet up with the second team that will be joining us on this Alaska adventure! More info on that soon...

turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and enjoy the trip!!!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SurfCityRacing wrote:
The Surf City Team is packed and ready to roll! Looks like we'll be leaving on the 24th from Santa Cruz, CA, and we'll be heading to Sacramento to meet up with the second team that will be joining us on this Alaska adventure! More info on that soon...

Great photo and best of luck!. We just completed 6000km in a bus across Canada with our 3 kids, amazing time! Enjoy every minute, life is short! I wished I lived in the west side of the country as I'd love to meet you guys.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! You guys are going to have a wonderful adventure! We'll all be following it too! You have our best wishes for a incredible adventure!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun!
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck on your trip. I will be following from behind the keyboard, I had hoped to do this trip on a dual sport bike......maybe someday. Very Happy
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great/safe trip guys!
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great adventure. Safe travels to you. I'm driving my '60 in October to Tucumcari, NM. It'll be 2500 miles, but that's just a short pleasure cruise compared to your trip. We'll all be following you on your drive....ENJOY!!! Applause

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone! We've gotten a number of really great invites to stop along the way and chill with awesome VW people! We'll do our best to make it happen! That's the beauty of a trip with no real set itinerary.

Such generous offers, thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: