Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Trippers- Alaska Adventure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plenty of room here in Igo if needing rest/down time....or if you guys want to do rut repeats on Mule Town Rd, we are 1/4 mile away Very Happy
68 fastback
73 Thing
74 Thing
54 chevy 210
63 mercury meteor wagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Chrome!

Two days until the launch!

The Skinner Classics Team has been working feverishly on their entry for the Alaska BusTrip for the past few weeks, and today all of the final pieces fell into place. "We're ready to roll," said Johnny Oleary the sole driver for the Skinner Classics entry, "We gave Chocolate a little love over the weekend, and she feels really solid!"

Open only to pre-1968 VW Transporters, the Alaska Bus Trip will cover over 8000 miles in 5 weeks and will follow the westernmost route through the Pacific Northwest, British Columbia, Yukon, and into Anchorage, AK. The two participating teams, Surf City Racing and Skinner Classics, will leave the San Francisco Bay Area on July 24th, and return in time for the Sacramento Bugorama on August 31st. The teams hope to make it to one of the northernmost cities in North America, Inuvik, Canada, which is well above the Arctic Circle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: bus trip Reply with quote

Totally awesome ! stoked to follow your thread !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vehicle Update: Lots of preparations have gone into this old '62 bus, from pulling the engine and doing a full service on the transaxle; new mounts, coupler, gear oil, outer axle bearings and axle seals. Full service tune-up on the Bad Dog built 1776' powerhouse that will push this ol' girl into Alaska, while passing the Arctic cirle line. Best cosmetic addition... it was logo'd by Alex Foster for the Alaska Bus Trip. Let the "Chocolate Tour" begin!

SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

pacrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Good Luck on your adventure! Reply with quote

Great intro vid! Love it!

Cheers!
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Video! You guys are true professionals!! You're going to have such a blast!!
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Samba Friends!

We are on our way the the Land of the Midnight Sun! Sorry we haven't updated this thread; it's a little difficult to update multiple places from the road. We'bve met some incredible people along the way, and the scenery has been astounding...truly god's country. I'm typing this from a cafe in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, and here's a quick pictorial synopsis so far:

New friends!

joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the h happened to those pushrods?
I think I see Johnny O in the group shot but where's baddog? And I don't see any pics of chocolate bus, but I assume it is there too. Who is on this trip? Wish I was.
How come Johnny O is in Skinner's bus and not his own?
Have an awesome time. If by any chance you go to Chicken please get me a sticker.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its hard to update but please continue to do so when you can. Details on the pushrod are needed as well.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Smokes
You're about 2/3 of the way there!

That damned old Dempster Highway

The marge of Lake Lebarge

Cool trip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt_Dxsfjqoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGhFNYll_mU

I haven't been up in the Territories since the eighties, but there is something ominous about knowing you can go a thousand miles any direction and not encounter a fence or a road or any other evidence that humans inhabit this planet.

Keep on Bussin' boys!! Livin' the dream!![/youtube]
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchorage, AK
Aug 8, 2014

Leg 1 Completed

We've landed softly from an incredible 16 days of traveling in our beloved 1966 Kombi Cassidy from Santa Cruz, CA to Anchorage, AK! We've gained over 27 degrees of latitude, and have seen some of the most beautiful terrain on the planet during our journey. The temperature in California when we left was over 100degF and now it's in the high 50sF! We have completed leg 1 of the Alaska Bus Trip! (For a full recap scroll back on these pages)

https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaBusTrip

We've had some high-highs and some lows (breakdowns), but the absolute highlight has been meeting all of the amazing people! Meeting other adventuresome people while traveling can renew one's spirit, and overall faith in humanity! The over-the-top welcoming, generosity, and love that we've felt over the course of these two weeks has indeed renewed our spirits! We've been invited into your homes, fed, engaged in beautiful conversation, and treated as family! Thank you!

Leg 2

Team Surf City Copilot Sarah, and Navigator Tiny will be flying out of Anchorage back home to California over the next few days, and our new Copilot Greg Urrutia will be joining leg 2. Greg, owner of Bad Dog Racing will once again join Surf City Racing to form Team Surf Dog!

Leg 2 will include driving northward to the remote Canadian town Inuvik. Inuvik is basically the end of the Dempster Highway, the only way north from there terrestrially is via wintertime ice road. We're looking forward to exploring this remote area of the Inuvik Region.

Over the next few days we'll be assessing Cassidy and making sure she's up for the trek. We'll pull the engine and give her a thorough once over! We'll replenish her spare parts, reprovision our food stores, check our survival gear, and head out over the next few days. Cassidy has treated us well for over 3000 miles so far, and she deserves the best treatment.

Stand by for more updates from leg 2 of the Alaska Bus Trip! We'd love to meet up with people along the route, send us a PM!

Thank you Traighli, Dan, Christopher and Michael for putting us up for a few days here in Alaska!

SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
What the h happened to those pushrods?
I think I see Johnny O in the group shot but where's baddog? And I don't see any pics of chocolate bus, but I assume it is there too. Who is on this trip? Wish I was.
How come Johnny O is in Skinner's bus and not his own?
Have an awesome time. If by any chance you go to Chicken please get me a sticker.

The theory is that since I didn't adjust them after a hard day of driving over 500 miles in temps over 100deg, the valves were loose, and a lash cap weaseled off of the valve stem. This caused the excessive play to act as a hammer causing the number two exhaust pushrod to break, which took out the intake pushrod.

3000 hard miles later, all seems good!

JohnnyO's bus is getting some metal work done. Hopefully soon he'll be rollin'! See you soon, Mr. Cool! I'll snag you a Chicken sticker!
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go surf city family! Sorry the other programs got derailed but glad you kept yours on track. Cool that baddog will join you, keep him away from the ditch Smile.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty!
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Beauty, eh?

Fixed it for ya
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...Here's the plan for Leg 2 of the ABT. I'll pick up Greg in Anchorage today, then we'll take a slow cruise up to Talkeetna; then on to Fairbanks. In the next few days, we'll head up on the Alaska 5 through Chicken, and Dawson City. This road, known as the Dempster Highway, is Canada’s only all-weather road to cross the Arctic Circle. It's on!

Later this week we'll be far out of cell range for several days, so updates might be slow.

I gave Cassidy a full tune-up, and she's ready to rock! Some of these roads are pretty far out there, so we'll be relying on our gear and preparations more heavily than ever before. This will be the furthest north that either Greg or I have ever been; well above the Arctic Circle. It just got heavy!

Please share our Page with anyone interested in trekking in VW buses.

Team Surf Dog!

Anyone is welcome to share our FB updates here on The Samba if they want. I just don't have the bandwidth to update here often. Will do my best!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SurfCityRacing wrote:
OK...Here's the plan for Leg 2 of the ABT. I'll pick up Greg in Anchorage today, then we'll take a slow cruise up to Talkeetna; then on to Fairbanks. In the next few days, we'll head up on the Alaska 5 through Chicken, and Dawson City. This road, known as the Dempster Highway, is Canada’s only all-weather road to cross the Arctic Circle. It's on!

Later this week we'll be far out of cell range for several days, so updates might be slow.

I gave Cassidy a full tune-up, and she's ready to rock! Some of these roads are pretty far out there, so we'll be relying on our gear and preparations more heavily than ever before. This will be the furthest north that either Greg or I have ever been; well above the Arctic Circle. It just got heavy!

Please share our Page with anyone interested in trekking in VW buses.

Team Surf Dog!

Anyone is welcome to share our FB updates here on The Samba if they want. I just don't have the bandwidth to update here often. Will do my best!

Good luck and keep us posted as possible!
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...we made it to the Arctic Circle, and all the way to Inuvik...the end of the road! We're slowly on our way south to Whitehorse. The Dempster Highway is one of the most beautiful roads I've ever driven!

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome! thanks for sharing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: