Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen NLA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes yes for Tintop slider screens!!! Would save me from having to find and buy westy windows to replace my own and then I would still need to find the crappy old screens! Was considering magnets and mesh but would be a pain to untangle all the time I'm sure.

Love the look of the front windows too... Nice work Very Happy
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zipster48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have enough interest yet in doing a run with brown material? I would def be interested if so -

Thanks!
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry zipster but the waiting list for a tan/beige screen is still kinda short at only 4 people but I am considering going ahead in a couple of weeks regardless of the stated demand. I presently have a lot of irons in the fire and committing the funds for speculation is not to be taken hastily right now. Plus I have to ramp up and produce my front window screens which also requires $$$ outlay for supplies.

I am trying to convince the plastics wholesaler to allow me to combine my gray and beige needs into a single order to get away with the same # of sheets ordered total but half and half as far as color.

Appreciate anyone interested to PM me so I can keep track of who to contact if it goes ahead.

Gerald
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

The PVC used to make the screen kits is rated to stay rigid up to about 120 degrees F and starts to soften and will sag unders its own weight at about 130~ 150 degrees. My own experiments with a heat gun and laser thermometer have now borne this out. There is a certainly a potential that if the shade panel is left in place with your skylight closed and your van parked in direct sunshine the small air space formed above the panel could become superheated over time and the PVC may sag. I personally have left mine in place for several very hot days without issue but the potential for excess heat build up is there especially in direct sunlight in southern areas so please use your judgement and if your van is simply parked and left or being driven please remove and stow the panel as I have always recommended. The shade panel insert was meant to be a aid to darken your interior for a sleep in in the morning and not an interior darkening device to be left in at all times. If the skylight cover is open to allow air flow and heat escape there is dramatically less likelihood of this occurring and also if the pop top is up the angle of the panel is such there is less tendency for it to potentially sag in the center if the heat was to rise.

Sorry if this has caused anyone inconvenience.

Thanks

Gerald

Last edited by backyard_cnc on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: screen Reply with quote

Hey Gerald,

My screen is installed!

Am I the first on the east coast? Smile

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure Brian, I had shipped several more to the east but not had comments or feedback. Certainly is possible though.

I like to say you can't always be first but you can always be next!

gerald
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backyard_cnc wrote:
working on a screen design for the sliders but nothing concrete yet. soon............. Rolling Eyes

Yes please! I need two sets.
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: screen Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
Hey Gerald,

My screen is installed!

Brian

You beat me to it! Just installed mine, but it was sitting for over a week, so let say that I was the first to get one on the east coast but you were the first one to install it Wink

Mine needed a bit more than a wiggle, I had to loosen up all 4 screws on the plastic bezel but then it when in perfectly. Nice product, good packaging and nice guy to do business with. Finally the velcro is staying up!

Alex
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: screen Reply with quote

Alex Proulx wrote:

Mine needed a bit more than a wiggle, I had to loosen up all 4 screws on the plastic bezel but then it when in perfectly.
Alex

Yes, I did the same with the 4 screws, super easy and fast. This is probably needed if you are leaving the stock velcro in place like I did.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

While I have recommended removing the velcro, loosening the 4 screws that hold the bezel is definately an option especially if you are leaving the velcro in place. It could also make for a neater trapment of the screen and its weatherstripping between the bezel and the poptop. My top has never had velcro so its likely my screen slips in easier than someone who has velcro or many layers of glue. My screen has been in and out many times and most will only insert the screen once. Only thing I have noticed is that the weatherstripping on the leading edge of the screen can get rolled back somewhat especially with several in and outs. Certainly loosening the bezel screws will prevent this and the weatherstripping will stay perfectly flat as it is nipped when the screws are tightened.

Gerald

Last edited by backyard_cnc on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: screen Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
Hey Gerald,

My screen is installed!

Brian

Mine isnt here yet....you beat me...

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the problem with the "sunshade" panel not taking direct sunlight well, I'm thinking about putting a piece of silvered windshield cover (or whatever the silver panel thing you stuff under the visors to keep sunlight from coming in is called). Any thoughts on whether that would avoid the "too much sun" problem?
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it not so the much direct sunlight as a build up of retained heat in the trapped airmass of the enclosed small space reaching in excess of 140° or so. Just opening the lid to allow circulation will likely cure the problem for most people as will using it for the purpose I had in mind when I designed it.. To be fair it was only ever in my mind meant to used as an aid for an early morning sleep in and was not meant to be a high noon sunshade. What I primarily designed was a screening system without velcro. I certainly apologize if anyone assumed otherwise.

Being more northerly with the sun lower in the sky I have mistaken left my panel in place for nearly a week of quite warm weather without issue but your mileage may vary. To a certain extent the fine mesh charcoal screening has a certain amount of sunblock on it own during the daytime. I also suspect the color of the lid and double or a single pane plays a factor in how much heat can build up and unfortunately all the variables that can have effect are just beyond my control.

Gerald
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... maybe it's time to think of a way to make a curtain happen. Once I get this rascal installed, I'll look into the possibilities.
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes many things are possible, The screen's frame offers many more options as a smooth flat mounting plane bearing in mind that minimal weight is likely the best. I would still consider that if you trap air in a confined space over a period of time it can get quite hot. This may in fact be part of the long lamented problem with the velcro mounting , with the cover attached maybe the heat build up would soften the glue and when you separate the Velcro the glue pulls away from the top.?? I can't be sure as I never had the Velcro in my westy. Also since I did not have a skylight last year and only installed it this spring I can say that I noticed no difference one way or the other regarding interior temperature other than when the skylight is open its cooler as the heat escapes.
I don't think the sun coming through the skylight has a major impact on the interior especially when compared to all the other glass. For me at least its a non issue, I don't cover the other windows except at night to sleep for the most part so why would I need to cover the skylight except for a few hours in the morning to let the wife sleep in........ ?me well I can sleep with the lights on anyway Shocked

Please keep us posted with anything you come up with.

Gerald
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a number of adhesives and nothing but nothing lasts. I don't think the glue is baking to death so much as the roof's plastic doesn't offer much support for various contact cements. Even in cool, shaded locations in other places, hook and loop strips and dots just don't stick around, as it were.

Right now, my thought is a stiffened cloth panel that slides into place near the lifter assembly, and some type of loop that fits over the tabs that are bolted to the skylight hinges. If the fabric is stiffen with backing, it may just stay in place. Or not. Smile
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the screen's frame is made from PVC you can use PVC cement from Lowes or Home Depot to bond to it, I use a Carlon brand meant for electrical conduit for my window screens and it seems to hold well so you can permanently bond things to the frame in that manner but a quality hot glue or epoxy may also be good oprions. You can usually find sheet PVC at local artist or hobby supply shops.

Let me know if you have ideas I can possibly incorporate them into future versions of the screen or cut some pieces to retrofit onto existing screens like yours.

Gerald
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backyard_cnc wrote:
I don't think the sun coming through the skylight has a major impact on the interior especially when compared to all the other glass.

If the floor sees a 10°+ difference between shaded and not, as noted in this skylight screen topic http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=504866 , it's most certainly contributing to the interior heat (not to mention the UV factor).

RBEmerson wrote:
I don't think the glue is baking to death so much as the roof's plastic doesn't offer much support for various contact cements.

Roof is fiberglass, not plastic. Wink For those in the desert southwest, the roof does indeed bake... my roof will get so hot in the summer you can't touch it, hence Velcro oozing - more like melting - off and me making my own non-Velcro screen a couple of years ago.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt I saw anywhere near a 10° temp difference on any given day in my van since installing my new skylight but I do have a smoked skylight lid and that likely has a large effect. Given the amount of glass in a westy the skylight may contribute a certain amount to the interior temp but it would be very difficult to quantify due to the number of factors involved that would come into play and have affect on any measurements. Even the largely uninsulated steel body will transfer heat to the interior in no small part.

Air movement is a very important factor to ensure your interior temp is not greater than the ambient outside temperature and if you trap air in any space and externally apply heat it will build up and the air temperature will rise. A smaller enclosed space will heat up faster and more dramatically. Just a slight opening of the skylight lid would almost assuredly vent more heat than the suns rays thru it would induce in the interior. That's why I always leave my windows open about 1/2" as even that slight opening easily keeps the temperature down by 10° or more by allowing airflow. Park your westy in the sun with all the windows open and I venture to guess the interior temp will be more or less the same as the outside temperature. That's airflow and the elimination of the trapped interior airmass at work.

Just like location location location is most important to real estate so is air flow to your westy's interior temperature.

Gerald
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kamzcab86"[...]
RBEmerson wrote:
I don't think the glue is baking to death so much as the roof's plastic doesn't offer much support for various contact cements.

Roof is fiberglass, not plastic. Wink [...][/quote]

Please see the posting time (1AM). I plead that my fingers typed "plastic" without my conscious knowledge. :p

The top is definitely fiberglass, but I suspect that it's coated with some sort of gel coat to protect the resin binding the fibers (UV in sunlight will cause the resin to unlink and generally fail). It might be some type of serious "no more Mr. Niceguy" paint, but probably not. I suspect the interior is definitely gel coated. And gel coat, at least in the boat world, is picky about what will adhere to it. I doubt the rules change in the Westy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: