Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't have one, didn't need it.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyNukaCola wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well here it is. I painted it up, greased the steering box and put on a new coupler. I installed it on the car by rolling it out on a dolly and setting it on a wheel, then raising it up with blocks. I still have to finish the brakes (one of the calipers is rubbing) and setup the steering and alignment. Overall, I'm quite happy with how it turned out and can't wait to use it.

looks good, good job brudda Cool
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the steering and brakes setup. Fixed the rubbing by choosing the best caliper for each rotor and placing the curvy washer between the backing plate and caliper, there is now just a hint of drag. I did a vigorous bleed procedure, first bleeding the front calipers passenger side then driver side from the top screw. Then went to the rear passenger side and driver side for good measure. Back to the front again this time I bled both screws with an adapter on my bleed kit, passenger side then driver. Spent over an hour doing this clear fluid in all lines. Took it for a spin while holding the brakes for a bit then did a couple hard stops. There's some funny pedal travel but I am able to lock up the fronts with some effort. I think it has to do with the rears being out of adjustment already. Alignment tomorrow!
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a brake bleeder out of a garden pressure sprayer. It works great on my tube frame buggy with the aftermarket reserviors. I'm not sure if it would work with the stock remote reservior system but ,man it sure makes things easy - maybe if you didn't go crazy with the pressure. Just find a duplicate res cap and put a barb on it to attach the sprayer tube and pump it up and let the pressure push the fluid through. It's great when you just want to clean out your lines too. Cheap to make and takes one man to operate.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing came out boobies. I'd take it in the house, knock all the shit off the fire place mantle and put that up there instead.
That way, visitors can admire your work, instead of potpourri jars and candles.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a light coat of WD40 for fragrance, the cologne of real men.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now yer talkin. Couple of pistols to book end it.
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question, but what could possibly be squeaking in the front end being all new? Lower shock mounts?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably your delrin or urethane beam bushings.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second, you're driving it & haven't posted pics?!?

EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Wait a second, you're driving it & haven't posted pics?!?

EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on stuff. Got the old stereo working again. Got some keys made so I can lock my doors now. Been busy so I haven't had time to take it out for some fun. I think I want to swap out the new KYB in the rear for the same Bilstein set because when I go over speed bumps fast (its fun) the rear end hops like its too stiff compared to the front. It handles great for the most part, sometimes it gets a little bouncy coming to a stop. And its running decent a little on the rich side, but I get some sputtur/ bucking at times. The motor is pretty strong so I think it might be something with the trans.

With that being said, what's the consensus for Wright gearbox vs Rancho? Also are these guys any good?
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ptd/5175362051.html
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ask and you shall receive Very Happy

HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing looks awesome. Cool
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tightened the trans strap down last weekend, and its starting to shake in 1st worse than ever. I think the stuttering/ bucking is also the trans in 2nd and 3rd shaking back and forth. I don't think its the motor it runs fine otherwise it might just be jerking the throttle around.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your CVs, old or insufficient grease can cause the CVs to bind, so can too much lift in the rear. A transmission that starts making vibrations usually makes a bunch of noise first.

EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short tearing the CVs out, can I jack the rear just off the ground and run it through 1st? Any binding should be apparent. It's not lifted in the rear to my knowledge. And the trans is VERY vocal lol.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drain the gear oil, check for metal, if you've got chunks then you'll need a trans, if not, you can fill it up & you might be able to get a can of spray chain grease, slip the little red tube that comes with the can between the CV boot & axle & inject some grease into the joint (not ideal but cheap/easier & will give you quick results to let you know if that's your problem)

EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC some bits and shavings came out when I flushed it, that was about 6 months ago.

Last Friday it started bucking at the top of 2nd and going into 3rd. It's like I'm like I'm mashing the pedal while in gear. When that happens its hard to get into third like something is blocking it from engaging I cant cross over to 3rd, then it grinds when it engages. I was driving on flat ground and it did it, getting into third and pulling up to speed makes it go away. Then I was driving uphill and it did it again, but I couldn't find 3rd this time and had to go back to 2nd and ride to the top at like 25mph in a 45. I clutched in and revved the motor and the bucking stopped immediately so that's why I think its the trans. It used to get bad when I drove it for a while, but now its bad right out of the neighborhood. It's been a real drag to drive lately especially uphill which there are a lot of here. Then there's also the shaking out of 1st gear which has gotten so bad the bolts holding the steering wheel on the hub starting loosening up, no joke. It's been getting progressively worse so I'm going to get a new trans while this one is still good for a core and redo all the rubber mounts and straps.

I'm considering a Rancho, Wright, or Jeff Fields type 1 with a 4.37 or 4.12. Transaxle Eng is pretty close but I hear he's $$$. Not against a pro street or close ratio 3rd/4th either but I'm liking the 5yr stock warranty. It's got 235/75R/15s on now but I might bump it up to a more aggressive 30" tire. What do I plan on doing with it? Probably 15-20% dirt 80% street and highway. I'd rather have the right trans with a stock 1600 more than anything because I'll be driving it several hours in any direction when I transfer colleges or go on trips so highway is important (loaded with stuff of course). As for motor, if its geared right a 1600 should do fine but I'd like enough power/gearing to spin the tires a bit that is all Very Happy
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I try switching to an electronic ignition module if it's something like the condenser?

EDIT: Seems to be the condenser, swapped it out and it runs tits now. I would not have looked to it since its relatively new, but my neighbor got me on that one. (He has that TR6)

This was after timing and before condenser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv-2Z1tdqOw
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 22

Jump to: