Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct colour for rims of export model... and pin stripes.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Correct colour for rims of export model... and pin stripes. Reply with quote

Hello,

after reading several threads about this topic, at the end I never saw any result like "that is fact". So I want to resume a little, also with the help of our vintage photos.

For me it is still a hot question, because I've just bought a export split beetle from 12/1950. There is much original paint on the car (L11 pastel green), but I wonder why the rims, the bumper grooving and VW logos on the hubcaps are all black.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do you have any idea?
So I just want to repaint these rims and also the bumper grooves and VW logos on hubcaps. But in which colour?

Let me talk only about the typical export model, as it came out of the factory line without any optional possibilities. Please ignore any faults of language, I'm german and it's difficult for me.

I think generally we can say, rims before 1951 were not been painted in two-tone colour, we have much evidence for this. On my search for the right colour, I saw a picture of this car from 1949:

Calling the owner of that car, he told me that he found a hint on the colour in the book "VW Käfer, ein Auto schreibt Geschichte" by U. v. Pidoll. Pidoll wrote to the

rim clolour of beetle from 1949:
outer hump: L11 pastelgreen
inner hump: L14 resedagreen.

I don't now the sources Pidoll refers to, but after seeing much vintage pictures, I doubt this theory.

Here, I will start with the first vintage pictures of non-crotch-coolers:

As you see, they all have only one colour for the rims. And I also would say, it is the same colour as the body colour!
The pictures 3,4 and 6 were made for VW in 1949 for the book "kleiner Wagen auf großer Fahrt", so they are "official" in some kind.

We can also see, the correct colour for the semaphore is black at that time!

But how came Pidoll to a two-tone colour at 1949? Perhaps it was meant, that for a car with body colour L11, the one-tone rim colour was L14? There are also people who say yes for one-tone colour, but that it was brighter than the body colour...

...continuing with pictures of brighter rims...

But these are crotch-cooler cars up from 1951!

There was a thread, where sombody showed his pastel green car with one-tone rims. This beetle was from 1952 and he found a source showing a paint like L16 or so. This green was more bright, especially in the shade of the fender. There was also another member showing his brown car with original paint rims that were also brighter than the body. And this is perhaps a thing, where we can say: Perhaps body colour on rims -1950, up from 1951 brighter one-tone colour or optional two-tone colour?

Here is also a hint from the VW advertising:

This car is obviously a 1951 with one-tone coloured rims. But the colour shines bright in the shade of the fender!

Back to one-tone colour up to 1950:

and some hints from the original manual from my 1950 split:

For me, the one-tone colour in body colour code until 12/1950 is obvious!

And what is this pinstripe theory for cars from 1948/ 1949?

I know several picutres from VW

For me, regarding at all the vintage pictures here, no split beetle left the factory with with pin-striped rims! Perhaps it was an option (did you ever saw a source for this option?) but there is no picture of a private car with these stripes!
And you also know, that VW advertises sometimes show something, that was not standart on the cars they realy sold.
Here is another pin stripe:

Did you ever see a beetle with these hubcaps?
But the rim has a pin stripe:

So, we only see these stripes on factory pictures!
And if they are there, the colour of the one-tone rim is - again - also the colour of the body!
And we see also, the pin stripe is in the middle of the inner hub. So, if someone want to show a car with these stripes (because dedicated to original), why do they applicate two stripes and/or out of the middle of the inner hump ?????

Car one:

Car two:

Car three:

Car four:

For today I would like to close with following assertion:

For export beetle until July 1949:

Different types of two-tone wheels, often a combination with the body colour and black L41 and also one-tone rims... does anybody have further information?

For export beetle from July 1949 until dec. 1950:

one-tone rim colour = body colour.

optional (if it was really to order):
One stripe in the middle of the inner hump!
Colour of that stripe is black L41 if the body/rim colour is a light colour (L11, L14, L21, L23, L50);
it is ivory L60 if the body/rim colour is darker (L13, L32, L51, L70).

For export beetle up from 1.jan. 1951:

two-tone rim colour.
The inner hump always is lichtbeige L75, The outer hump is body colour.

optional:
one-tone rim colour, similar to the body colour but brighter. (Perhaps L14 for a car L11, and L71 for a car L70 and so on...)

Semaphores are black L41, at least until 1950)

VW Logos on hubcaps and bumper grooves are body-coloured

So I'm looking forward your thoughts!

Moderator note:
Here is another thread for reference:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=517154

Last edited by pastellgreen on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:35 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot:

a VW split from 1950 in the VW museum in Wolfsburg:

One-tone coloured rims in body colour without pin stripes!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic Smile

I will agree with you that Dr. Ulrich v. Pidoll's book is not an entirely reliable source. But I also think you cannot trust vintage photos too much, as I believe back in the 1950's painting your wheels was quite common.

I don't agree that two-tone wheels of bodycolor and black is original for any model split.

Bear in mind, the following is to the best of my knowledge and observations, not 100% sure facts.

VW experimented a little with the wheel pinstriping, but I don't think it ever went into production cars.

Semaphores are black on standards. On export models maybe black on early 1949 exports, but that VERY quickly changed to bodycolor.

The VW logo in the hubcabs and the groove in the bumpers should be bodycolor, except if the car is L90 sand, then it should be red, and then so should the wheel center, the wheel rim is then bodycolor (sand).

I agree that early export splits had one-tone wheels, later had two-tone. When it changed, I am not certain, and I also don't think it changed for all car colors at the same time.

Early pastel green cars had wheels in a slightly lighter green color. (There was an article called "Sterne des Südens" in the magazine "VW Scene" many years ago with two Swedish splits, a medium brown and a pastel green. The owner of the pastel green left the spare tire in the original paint. I think I kept the article, can probably dig it out if needed.)
Early black cars had one-tone black wheels, but I think that changed to two-tone black and (L81 Parchment?)-white quite early.
Early medium brown cars had one-tone bodycolor wheels.
Early bordeaux red cars also had one-tone bodycolor wheels.

But yeah, this topic sure could use some further investigation Smile
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic - my 51 Kabriolet was originally two tone L71 and L72 - what colour should the wheels be?

I assume the bumper groove and hup caps should be the darker colour L72. Is that correct?

Should I be adding a pin stripe?

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by bally on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Interesting topic - my 51 Kabriolet was originally two tone L71 and L72 - what colour should the wheels be?

I assume the bumper groove and hup caps should be the darker colour L72. Is that correct?

Cheers,

Dave

Wheels should be two-tone, L72 dark brown rims, L71 beige center.
And yes on the bumber groove and hub cap VW logos.

L72 / L71 1950 split cabrio

Also see this picture, which btw. also shows us that the Pastel green was the last color to have two-tone wheels, picture is from april 1951 or later.

And here is an early 1951 unrestored Pastel green with the lighter green wheels

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
What was the rule with painted bumper grooves - I note many are not painted. Was it an option or did all come with the groove painted at some point and what was the cut off?

I note the L71/L72 vert above does not have the groove painted - is that just personal choice or a correct detail for this particular car?

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the book "Kleiner Wagen in Grosser Fahrt" from 1949 it looks like the bumper grooves are not painted, I don't know when that started, but the green unrestored car I posted pictures of is from January 1951 and it has the grooves painted. Also some 1950's I've seen in old pictures have the grooves painted. Your 1951 would have them painted for sure, but when it starts I couldn't say.

I saw pictures of a cabrio with the hub cab VW logos painted the lighter color? That would be a convertible only thing I guess...
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture 5 is from that book, but scanned. On the original, you can recognize the painted groove, the car is from 1949 and has body coloured rims and black semaphores!
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates chaps,

Dave
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture 5 with the car on the lift? I would say it is a pastel green car with lighter green wheels and unpainted bumper grooves..? Hard to tell... Take a look at page 106, definately not painted bumper grooves there...
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the car on the lift... for me, the rims are looking not more light than the body colour... and the ones on pp 175 and 181 and 194 too. These are definately in bodycolour. But with the grooves of bumper, I agree it is really hart to tell.
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, on page 175, 181 and (I think you mean) 195, here the entire wheels are all in bodycolor. The car on page 175 is seemingly black, the car on page 181 (The car seen from the window with a man waving at a woman inside) and page 195 (same car?) is probably a medium brown car. 1949 deluxe sedan Black, Medium brown and Bordeaux red cars all had wheels in bodycolor, only the Pastel green had wheels in a lighter green color. At least that's my theory Smile
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or... maybe in early 1949 all wheels are bodycolor? Then sometime in 1949/1950 they become twotone, except the Pastel green that gets light green wheels?

1949 brochure:

1950 (Pastel green):
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a lighter green... but why? Why all others rims should be in bodycolour, only green would be more lighter? Why purchasing an extra colour only for rims instead of using the colour you already have in your pistol?
And whay did VW restore a 1950 car, painting the wheels in body colour if it was not the right thing? (I mean the two pictures above from the museum)

Two-tone rims came definately in 1951.
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why, but they did. Only question is when.

The cars at VW's museum are generally not all that 'correct'. Not saying that particular car isn't, but then maybe it's pre light green if that is an option..
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico1981 wrote:
Perhaps a lighter green... but why? Why all others rims should be in bodycolour, only green would be more lighter? Why purchasing an extra colour only for rims instead of using the colour you already have in your pistol?
And whay did VW restore a 1950 car, painting the wheels in body colour if it was not the right thing? (I mean the two pictures above from the museum)

I think this has been discussed several times before? Pastel cars were available with body color wheels or two tone body and cream, OR light green wheels. At least in 1952 if not other years.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDub wrote:
Nico1981 wrote:

I think this has been discussed several times before? Pastel cars were available with body color wheels or two tone body and cream, OR light green wheels. At least in 1952 if not other years.

Yes, it was discussed but never brought to end (see thread above...)

No, It's not cream, it's L75 lichtbeige.

But now it's about the "other years", 1948, 1949 and 1950 (and this is why I have opened this thread). There were no two-tone wheels available for sedans, but was there really an option of light green or body colour in thiese early days of exports?

Perhaps also interesting: My '50 from December has the original painted fuel tank in pastel green, the unrestored survivor form early 1951 from above has a black fuel tank...
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamax's October 50 had L11 wheels.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=517154&highlight=kamax

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suboval wrote:
Kamax's October 50 had L11 wheels.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=517154&highlight=kamax

Kamax wrote he wasn't sure...

Kamax' October 1950 wheels before paint:

Last edited by noheb on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noheb wrote:

This was clearly lighter than L11.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: