Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba facebook subscriber PSA - aircooled hooligans
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Samba facebook subscriber PSA - aircooled hooligans Reply with quote

I have a very limited access fb account due to work snoops. There has been firing going on due to what you do at home. A week ago I got a group suggestion based on my samba group membership (only group I belong to) to join aircooled hooligans.

So I did.

It's a cool group of people for the most part. It seemed a good way to get together with local vw folks which is kind of hard in my area. Of the 4000 folks there I'd guess at least 3995 are decent people. The other 5 are heavy posters that throw up hitler pics, paint nazi slogans all over their cars etc, lastly tossed up a "jewminator" pic of hitler dressed up like the terminator. Wtf-complete lack of class.

I had to bail. That's just not an ideology I can be linked to. The heavy poster is a site originator so it's not likely much will change. I didn't want to be labeled racist or anti-Semite by association.

In short if you are a public person, work for the government or with children this is not something you want your real life linked to. In short DO NOT JOIN if this aspect of their membership is a problem! I suppose if they could post that crap on the samba, they wouldn't need a FB page....shame on me, shoulda known.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God for TheSamba.com

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your title sort of makes it sound like they are related our Samba page on Facebook.

They are not.

I am not a member and not familiar with this group, other than the fact that another member complained about them recently but refused to say who it was until pressed about it.

If they are posting this sort of thing, I would report it to Facebook.
I am sure hate speech violates their policies.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope sorry, they aren't related to the samba at all.

Facebook sees your groups and makes suggestions. I got a random pop up suggesting aircooled hooligans based on my samba subscription. I was dumb enough to think "cool more vw stuff-can't get enough of that"

The group is neat, most of the people are awesome, tons of great cars. Just that small element of membership that makes you guilty by association. It's a shame too, I just have a rule about not having anything on my computer that I'd be ashamed of my children seeing. Hitler butt-raping Obama fits into this category.....well hitler doing anything...damn.. Some folks go to a vw site to see VW's, not a twisted version of history.

The title is fairly innocuous. It's not like it's called "baby rapers group" and you can easily say, "ok cool-I'm not down with that, it's a no". The nazi stuff is everywhere, the anti Semitic stuff is sprinkled in for good measure, pro-white sentiments. I'm not sure about the gay bashing homophobe stuff the other guy complained about but the rest is true so maybe I missed a posting.

I'm sure it's coming down the pipeline for many other folks being advertised to add so I wanted to put something up here. I'm sure there's a bunch of them tossing my name around now like the other guy they were picking on.

I honestly didn't know but left as soon as the picture was clear. It is what it is, unless they get selective and weed out this element the group won't be worth much. I'd hate to pull in to the parking lot at work with a hooligans sticker on my car so the boss could google it and find a pic of the "jewminator". That'd be a career booster.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Jsbug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Aircooled Hooligans Reply with quote

I am a Hooligan, and have been for over a year. For the most part our members are good people. Yes like most families we have our " crazy uncle Bills". Yes some things have been posted that some might not find funny, but trust me its all in the sense of humor. No one in our group agrees with what Hitler did before or during WWII. You can't overlook the fact that these cars are the brain child of Hilter, nor can you overlook the fact that these are the GREATEST cars ever built.
The Hooligans has grown greatly in the past few months due to a major promotional push in memory of one of our originators " Josh Hensley" who was killed in a traffic accident while broke down in his bug on the side of the interstate. The Hooligans is not just a FB group but also a club with chapters popping up everywhere " including the UK". We have members in every state including yours.
You memtioned the originator of our group as being one of the persons making these posts. Just so you know that very same person donated a W deck lid to be signed by people for Joshes memorial. Would you have done that?
Yes the Hooligans is not for eveybody. After all we are not the Aircooled Alter Boys. If you don't agree with what is posted or said, then dont be a part of it , just go about your life and stop belittling people you dont know.. I,m sorry you dont agree with our group/club. I wish you the best of luck finding somewhere you belong. Maybe start your own group/club.
Personally I'm getting tired of people Crying about what is posted because their feelings got hurt. My uncle used to tell me " to be a part of this family you have to learn how to throw spears and duck at the same time".
As far as your job and the hooligans. First if you are at work you should be working not on FB. Second we didn't pick your job for you, YOU DID.
NO WE ARE NOT PART OF THE SAMBA. but we are members
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have such a large group of people and so few people to monitor what goes on you will get people who post inappropriate things. I don't know if you have been around samba long enough to remember back in the day when there were rants and raves and there were 20+ people in chat on any given night. I am sure that Everett and the other mods stayed super busy trying to keep all of that under control and that is ultimately why it (rants and raves) isn't here anymore.

I was added to the hooligans fb page 6 months ago, but was not active in it until the past few months, probably because of Josh Hensley and it popping up in my new feed so much. I never actually saw any of the posts that you are referring to, but I know that with that many people there are going to unfortunately be some things that are inappropriate that someone thinks is funny. Unfortunately not everything will be PC, but I am sure that no one had any ill intentions.

I agree with Jsbug72 that if you are at work you should be at work and not looking at facebook. I think what you are saying though is that your work snoops in on peoples fb accounts. I would suggest not having a fb account in your name if that is the case. I know there are far more inappropriate things that show up on my newsfeed on facebook than what shows up on the hooligans page. If you are worried about it then don't go to the page. Sorry you had a bad experience. hope you find a group that works for your and your work criteria.
runabout199
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider my self a hooligan although not a active member by going to meets ect I will help any member I can if possible. im kinda getting tired of seeing all the people passing judgement on "certain" pics posted ect . first off its history. that's it. i love the old pics of history of the famous vw and hitler. its just that, a part of history that while the person may not have been a saint helped create something that we all enjoy today. i say and i speak for no other hooligan that if you want to be part of the ever growing vw society than at some point you have to accept the WHOLE history behind it. i have asked questions and got answers, and jokes and i love the hooligans. recently we lost a good friend and fellow vw owner josh. i saw so much love and respect pour out from all hooligans across the globe in this tragic loss. i also am a member in other vw clubs and we all came together. it truly was magic. RIP Josh you will never be forgotten in short if you cant handle the history with this world wide reconised club then just sell your car to some one who love them and move on with your life. apparently vw is not for you. for all those out there that love vw as a whole you get my dub love and help from me when and if i can.
Rust2Rods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a hooligan as well. And let's set the record straight. If you have a job and worried that they are spying on you and you might get fired, that's really your problem and your works problem. You probably shouldn't have a facebook account or get smart and set your privacy filters on your account.

Next... Hitler. Yep that stuff gets posted there... Want to know why? It's to push their buttons to chase them away. Because various people wander into the group and try to tell them that they should not like something because it's an image that was either used at the VW factory during the war times, or someone attempting to push their views onto the group and how they should be ashamed for liking an image from that era or using it on their vehicle.
Let's face it, most people feel that if you don't talk about it or show an image, it never happened. Well that's just not true. I doubt anyone there including myself is any type of Nazi supporter of any kind. Most of the images are hilarious in my opinion.
If your easily offended (which it seems the original poster is) it's probably not for you. Now, going on the Samba and feeling the need to tell the world how terrible the group is, well that's your opinion. I am here to try and set the record straight and give the rest of the story...

I think most people on that group and here on the samba are able to make their own educated opinion of the group. Remember, it's YOUR view and a select few of HUNDREDS of people in that group.

So in closing... I am a Hooligan and proud to admit it. I don't conform to what people tell me I should like, feel or do. If you want to be like the rest of the people and blindly follow the rest of the herd, it's not for you.

If you have an open mind and have the ability to make your own educated decision and want to see what it's all about... Check it out. It is a great group of people with a bit of rebellion tossed in for fun.

Air Cooled Hooligans
Phill0046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air cooled hooligans group is great. There is a post here and there involving the vehicle history, but the parts you are referring to were a direct response to someone else going over board and calling us all neo nazis. There are no neo nazis in the group, we do not promote hate, we just drive cars that are associated with a dark area of history.

The big difference between that group and the samba? A new person can't even ask questions here. I always see lovely responses like "you shouldn't drive a vw if you can't fix it" or "find the search button". Super helpful and encouraging.

It's really just a regular group of vw enthusiasts.
Jsbug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runabout, we don't have any club dues/fees or mandatory meets. We understand that people have lives and schedules that don't allow you to make these events. If we don"t have a chapter in you area I'm sure there will be one shortly. stay tuned to our FB group.
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Samba facebook subscriber PSA - aircooled hooligans Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
It seemed a good way to get together with local vw folks which is kind of hard in my area.

Where are you at in Ohio? May be able to point you in the right direction without having to be a hooligan Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread just makes me like Aircooled Hooligans even more!!

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Aircooled Hooligans Reply with quote

Jsbug72 wrote:
I am a Hooligan, and have been for over a year. For the most part our members are good people. Yes like most families we have our " crazy uncle Bills". Yes some things have been posted that some might not find funny, but trust me its all in the sense of humor. No one in our group agrees with what Hitler did before or during WWII. You can't overlook the fact that these cars are the brain child of Hilter, nor can you overlook the fact that these are the GREATEST cars ever built.

I think you need to put down the "American WASP" history books on this fact
dr. Porsche came up with the idea of the vw a long time before hitler invade his county and forced/finance his ideas to be build then claimed to be his Wink

other then that I completely agree that if you are worried about what others think about the group you belong to then don't belong to it
it is a fact that in todays corporate world the company you work for has people that "hack" into their employees social media accounts to get reasons to fired and/or punish you
but honestly I bet in the majority of those cases the employee in question is a pile of shit that needs to be fired anyways Wink

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember when OP posted his stuff on hooligans as i am a member on facebook. this started the word slinging and etc. if you do not wish to read something don't click on it. if you don't like something on tv change the channel. bashing and complaining only gets you labeled as a wussie whining baby. thanks Bill May
ps i notice you troll stuff while at work therefore cheating your employer of wages he pays while you troll all over the internet. hope you get fired.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Samba facebook subscriber PSA - aircooled hooligans Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I have a very limited access fb account due to work snoops.

your employer is OK with you posting on internet sites while being paid by him?
you need to do this internet stuff on your own time rookie.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes big chops to be the poster right after Bill May... Cool

But really, there's absolutely no excuse these days to jump into a club site/group/whatever with both feet and whimper later. Anything can be lurked first- and as well you should. The only thing worse than whining about this is trying to get others on board for the cause. I had to sample this site at first- worried that I'd be surrounded by stock Nazis and "don't dare change the paint color" people- thank heavens that was a myth.

Instead of just sampling the quiche- you bought the 20 lb. tray of it- and now you're standing out in front of Costco trying to start an egg coup.

PS- Never, since being labled a 'hooligan' by my neighbors back in the 70s, has that name been linked to "Saint," "Righteous," or "Do-gooder." Sometimes the cover gives a simple one-word hint to the book.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Jsbug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe56 sorry for the miss information and thank you for the correction. I always did suck at history.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba facebook subscriber PSA - aircooled hooligans Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I have a very limited access fb account due to work snoops. There has been firing going on due to what you do at home.

Concentrate on the second sentence folks. "What you do at home"

I don't have internet access at work so it's not an issue. It's a moral issue as well as a work related issue. You folks are really digging to make me the bad guy, eh? I'm really doing you a favor by tring to keep guys like me out. If you guys want to be Jesse James, I'm cool being Ward Cleaver. (If you don't get the Ward Cleaver reference, I was too old to be there in the first place)

Read on if you care-

If you supervise others and have posts attached to racist or religious based disseminating materials it's grounds for removal at a lot of employers. Your employer might not do this yet, so be grateful.

This is the work aspect. I don't allow anyone I supervise on my facebook. I do allow the parents of all the kids I coach on there because it's a great way to keep in contact. So when it comes down to my local community I'm ok being the only guy with a bus for miles. I'm fine getting sent out for "random pee test" twice a year too because of my hobby...I'm not really wanting to get labeled a white supremesist because an odd post from the aircooled group got shared. I get random stuff all the time on my face book "so and so commented on this". They didn't send that out it just happened. I'd hate for some random German phrases, hitler pics etc to go flying out.

I left. Those are my reasons, just because my internet life has a very real chance of affecting my private life. Guilt by association is all my employer cares about so to stay would be saying I agree with what goes on there.

Again-great group, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and hope to see you grow with members you want. The hooligans just aren't for everyone. This thread is purely a buyer beware. You may call it "butt hurt" I call it a case of not knowing how your actions affect others. I posted so that the silent majority may remain silent. You should only get members prepared for the occasional outlandish thing that comes down the pipe unmoderated.

OldsCool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba facebook subscriber PSA - aircooled hooligans Reply with quote

I'm on the Hooligans FB page and I have yet to have any bad vibes from any of the group. Sure, some of the things posted now and again are crass and immature, but that's the beauty of the internet. There's a little red X at the top right of your screen that you can click to make offensive stuff go away. Furthermore, if you don't like what a particular user has to say, you can always use the block feature so their posts no longer show up on your feed.

chazz79 wrote:
There has been firing going on due to what you do at home.

I'm just wondering what kind of job you have that feels they can justify firing someone for doing what they want away from work. I can understand illegal activities, but the internet? Can you please elaborate on this, if you would?

EDIT: I see your explanation, the "morals" issue. I can understand that. No I'm not making anyone out to be the bad guy, I'm simply saying there are ways around the offensive stuff and still enjoy yourself. That's all.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba facebook subscriber PSA - aircooled hooligans Reply with quote

OldsCool wrote:
I'm just wondering what kind of job you have that feels they can justify firing someone for doing what they want away from work. I can understand illegal activities, but the internet? Can you please elaborate on this, if you would?

Employers are getting savvy and doing internet background checks. The law has not yet caught up with the issues this raises, so you can be fired on some drummed up pretense (or none at all if you are an "at-will" employee), never knowing why.

Is it wrong? Hell yeah. Can you do anything about it? Hell no.

But put yourself in their shoes... do want the potential liability? If you have a choice between someone who posts unsavory words on the internet, or someone who doesn't, all else equal, which would you choose?

So you had best check your indignation at the employer's door and not post anything stupid that will haunt you.

I am much less worried about the NSA than I am private companies. The abuse of privacy by companies is a far larger danger to my well being than the gub'ment.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: