Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba facebook subscriber PSA - aircooled hooligans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff kyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A workplace that searches into your private life,is more Nazi-like than anything we Hooligans have posted...The FB page for Aircooled Hooligans would be the least of my problems if I had a snoopy employer...lol. If you want to work for an employer that feels they own your after-work life,please do...but if you are smart,just delete your FB and email account...Some employers now ask for your FB/Email info on the application...Just say no to "Big Brother"...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kt hit the nail on the head.

Hr departments everywhere are doing this. They usually don't show their hand until the first person is canned. It's so easy for them to build a case on you, just letting you bury yourself.

I meant to say morally neutral, I lost part of that sentence. What I mean by that is that I deal with too many folks to dwell on what they do in the bedroom, who they pray to, or don't, and what color they are. People lose basketball teams over those kind of subjects. I mean to keep to my own business on all fronts. Vw's though, I'd talk about those all day.
Vw people are awesome generally wherever they hang, some just aren't smart about what they're doing. If you're flopping woppers then I suppose you can be as free as you want to be. I knew what that was like once but freedom didn't pay well.

I just warn about the Facebook stuff because it's real. Especially on certain taboo subjects that people would use against you.
I'm in a union an that doesn't protect you. There's just no laws protecting private citizens yet. Technology has outpaced speech protections.

Someone posted that I should've browsed before joining? You get a brief description that sounds pretty awesome, I asked to join then you see how it is. There's no browsing. It's not a forum. It's a nice way to answer questions in a rapid fire medium. The downside is that it's probably impossible to moderate

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Jsbug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chazz I would like to appologize. You must have the worst job in the world if your worried about being fired for what someone else posts on the internet. Personally My employer doesn't care what you post. I keep my job because of my skill level, not because of what I dont post. It sounds to me that you need to be a Hooligan just so you can be youself for once. Maybe join under an AKA.
OldsCool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my boss doesn't look at my FB stuff. No one cares about that stuff in a machine shop. They're more worried about keeping their talent than running them off.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsbug72 wrote:
Chazz I would like to appologize. You must have the worst job in the world if your worried about being fired for what someone else posts on the internet. Personally My employer doesn't care what you post. I keep my job because of my skill level, not because of what I dont post. It sounds to me that you need to be a Hooligan just so you can be youself for once. Maybe join under an AKA.

There's only some aspects of my job that suck. It becomes increasingly political and that takes the fun out of it.

I'm pretty well into my retirement and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can't say that for really anyone else in my graduating class. I'll play it smart and continue "eating the crap sandwich".

http://www.lorman.com/newsletters/article.php?arti...p;topic=LB

We had to sign a policy stating we abide by these employee conduct rules and they take place on and off the clock. If you read the article above you'll see what kind of practices actions are taken against. The unions are fighting these things but public and right to work arenas keep crushing it. I don't get it. Home time used to be home time. Why would anyone be against getting your employer out of your private life? No one knew Dahmer's business until they were dragging freezers out of his apartment. It'll be a sad time when we refer to those as " the good 'old days"

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:
You can change all of your Facebook privacy settings so no one that is not your friend can see anything.

This may or may not solve this particular issue.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott Tenorman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am on the Hooligans page and greatly enjoy it. I in fact may very well be one of "those guys" posting up historical facts and images related to the history of my aircooled love. I'm not particularly fond of the united states of the offended, lighten up, take a joke and get that giant stick out your bottom side.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in my initial post, I'm a public person in the real world. I deal with far too many people to be linked to anything offensive.

Being in a supervisory role my employer has this reasoning for prying-

I'm accused of being racist (against all races) or sexist (against all sexes and preference variations) at least a few times a year. I do my best to keep my character above reproach so that none of these allegations never have any proof to back them.

So yes when the group is cool except for a few posters that put up historically inaccurate pictures Hitler. harmful to peoples religions, sexual orientations, or race then it is a big deal. Yeah I get to be offended. I'm offended that everyone is offended. I'm aggravated that every class is protected but my own. I'm smart enough to understand the world I live in and that if you want to keep your stuff nowadays you just can't say anything disparaging about people's race, religion, or sex.

I'm sure the list will grow before the problem is fixed but that's it.

B1zzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe someone should suggest to them to make it a secret group
that way posts you make or comment on cannot be seen by anyone else except for you and the members in the group

people still seem to have learning curves on how FB works, esp. with groups
it is a stalker paradise
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Enso108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The positives of being a member of the Hooligans by far out weighs any negatives. You couldn't meet a more helpful group of people.

Gary
UK Chapter
taggertsiegel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Crapballs. You better quickly petition google to stop searching and sharing things too.
In all my time with the Hooligans I've seen exactly 2 instances of people throwing up Hitler pictures and both times it's a result of some dink names Ken Shapiro aka Jim Clark who asks to be included and then immediately calls us all Neo-Nazis. And then....the pictures start.

So. Are you also an aka for Ken Shapiro?

If not. Grow up. Make a Facebook profile calling yourself Ned Flanders or Homer Simpson and get on with life.

And come on back when you have a real VW question.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you fail to understand. if you do not like a forum leave. to go on another forum and whine or cry because you are butt hurt because no said "please stay" is wrong mr. coach. I could care less if you are helping to educate milleniums how tough the world is.
I seldom go to or post on the samba as kids under 15 research vw and answer questions that that learned over a few years of hands on instead of internet searches.
so I go to hooligan face book and answer questions to help people as I did for 20 plus years on vintavw list and the samba site after petting everettes dog to get in and even prior to that. I have never whined I just don't post on here much.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taggertsiegel wrote:
Oh Crapballs. You better quickly petition google to stop searching and sharing things too.
In all my time with the Hooligans I've seen exactly 2 instances of people throwing up Hitler pictures and both times it's a result of some dink names Ken Shapiro aka Jim Clark who asks to be included and then immediately calls us all Neo-Nazis. And then....the pictures start.

So. Are you also an aka for Ken Shapiro?

If not. Grow up. Make a Facebook profile calling yourself Ned Flanders or Homer Simpson and get on with life.

And come on back when you have a real VW question.

cool beans sir.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
www.sv2s.com
SBS #100
AIRCOOLEDVWFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOOLIGANS are everywhere, you may pass one on the street and never know it. Most of us have different daily drivers, and some like myself, don't have their VW's anymore, but will again some one day. We had people from all over the world sending Josh's family prayers and donations and all sorts of love....from everywhere.

Why is everyone so politically correct or worried about hurting someone's feelings.. Get Over It! Freedom of speech folks, I've lost several good friends and family members fighting to give us the right to do so. I've seen Hooligan members offer parts for free to help out others, a place to stay when they broke down and had to wait for parts......from people you may have never met or shared a post with...but Hooligans non the less. You won't find that anywhere else.

The club is growing and expanding at a crazy rate, and I'll bet she will do so for a very long time. I'm proud to be a Hooligan, will be for the rest of my life, and yeah.....If someone posts something you don't like, just don't post or comment and you will never have to look at it again.

We are HOOLIGASN'S, we bleed Red White and Blue and go overboard to help any VW fan, join the family, be proud and yes... you may have to overlook some of us when that loose screw falls out now and then, but you know what??? We put pick it up and put it back in as tight as we can, I just can't find enough locktite to keep it in..

LOVE ALL and Dub ON!!!
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Jsbug72 wrote:

There's only some aspects of my job that suck. It becomes increasingly political and that takes the fun out of it.

I'm pretty well into my retirement and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can't say that for really anyone else in my graduating class. I'll play it smart and continue "eating the crap sandwich".

We had to sign a policy stating we abide by these employee conduct rules and they take place on and off the clock. If you read the article above you'll see what kind of practices actions are taken against. The unions are fighting these things but public and right to work arenas keep crushing it. I don't get it. Home time used to be home time. Why would anyone be against getting your employer out of your private life? No one knew Dahmer's business until they were dragging freezers out of his apartment. It'll be a sad time when we refer to those as " the good 'old days"

as a molder of young peoples minds have you ever rear or told them or read to them
Amendment IV :the right of the people to be secure vin their persons, houses,papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue,but upon probable cause,supported by oath or affirmation, and particularlydescribing the place to be searched,and the persons or things to be seized.

you say your employer is searching your home life??? the bill of rights is not the bill of wants. use your rights or lose them.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
www.sv2s.com
SBS #100
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
chazz79 wrote:
Jsbug72 wrote:

as a molder of young peoples minds have you ever rear or told them or read to them
Amendment IV :the right of the people to be secure vin their persons, houses,papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue,but upon probable cause,supported by oath or affirmation, and particularlydescribing the place to be searched,and the persons or things to be seized.

you say your employer is searching your home life??? the bill of rights is not the bill of wants. use your rights or lose them.

My employer holds the copyright to that so that leaves me a little screwed.

I'm not ken Shapiro but that two people vocalized anything should leave cause for alarm. I do work with children and understand that the phrasing on the douches car does direct inquisitive kids here when googling
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_symbolism

I've seen Hakenkreuz tattooed on folks before as a cute way of saying "I hate black people"

This guy wants it painted proudly on his car saying it's his German heritage. I have a third reich balcony tapestry and you'll never see me draping it across my bus because they have nothing to do with eachother. You guys don't have a set of values so it waters down your brand as a club.

No matter what happens with your friend dieing, if this is what you wish his legacy to be...growth for the sake of growth. Then you've failed before you started.

The person in question hasn't risen up with any great displays of character when he continues to drive a rolling bilboard for white supremesy and be a flag toting member for the group.

Hooligans are great!, the people that is. One douche rolling a third reich mobile with aircooled hooligans sticker on it strongly reduces club cache. The same a-hole posting pics of hitler every chance he gets would really make me wonder where he's heading with all this.

Maybe, just maybe....the group might be being led by a white supremesist. Believe what you want to, just don't force that upon the masses as something they need to accept as part of membership. He could be raising money for burn victims tomorrow but without a car repaint it's not going to matter.

I see lots of folks chiming in with their first post here to pick at me. I've been posting since 2008. Completely unafraid and not new to VW's at all, I've added a ton of useful information and will continue to do so right here. I have no issues being helpful and being as good an online citizen as I am in the world. I frequent boards because I have a wealth of information to offer. You can accept or deny it but I'm a technician. Folks want help and I want to give it.

So to those of you saying I'm ken Shapiro, or anyone else...those of you with nothing but one post here that have nothing constructive to add what so ever.
Ask a vw question.

Or

Move on.

Defending undefendable acts is pretty sickening.

I feel the world is ugly enough.

eriscocoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that the simplest remedy would be to unlike the page and not go back to it if your concern is what your employer or friends may think. I know personally if I come across something on Facebook that I do not like or disagree with I just keep scrolling. I'm not going to force my opinion on anyone or try to change their opinions.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did but once your there it's in your history. I commented on the hitler pic even negatively and the damn thing was everywhere.

So basically I shared jewminator just by saying "hey butthead, you're ruining the place". I deleted the comments and got out of there but the damage was done. The group was private so they could just see I commented on a pic of hitler dressed up as the terminator. They couldn't see my comments were anti- hitler pic. If it makes more sense now then there ya go. I got a bunch of e-mails from folks saying wtf? And I was saying the same thing. None of them could open it and read my rant. It just looked like I wanted to share a pic. Sounds stupid because it is. I'm seeing a shitstorm from all sides. Based on the pic. But you folks don't see the bigger picture of why the problem was there in the first place. My problems are my own, but if it's racist it's racist, same goes for the religious stuff.

Things happen and I wanted to let others know. The group is great, the premise is great. The non-vw bs needs to go for it to be long term viable. You tell Jewish and black jokes to a room of 4000 then chances are some of those folks are going to be Jewish or black. I'm just in a position that I supervise racist, classist people. I won't be put in a position to ever look like I sympathies with any of them. Some kids joking can affect real peoples lives. Clean up hooligans. It can be awesome.

That's the whole PSA part.

Even if you liked the damn pic would you want grandma seeing it? How about the high school reunion list. That's the dangerous part of facebook. When it's out there it's out there and you can't get. It back. So one car I commented on, one hitler pic and I'm probably going to end up looking more racist than the dude that put it up because it's all about perception.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
That's the dangerous part of facebook. When it's out there it's out there and you can't get. It back..

^^^^^ that's real. like the whole porsche girl mess. that f*cked up that family big time.

i agree, you need to be careful what you say and who you say it to. i simply don't care what i say or who i say it to. i doubt i will ever be in a position where i need to justify myself.

that said, it's too bad the world is the way it is, and it's only going to get worse Mad

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
you fail to understand. if you do not like a forum leave. to go on another forum and whine or cry because you are butt hurt because no said "please stay" is wrong mr. coach. I could care less if you are helping to educate milleniums how tough the world is.
I seldom go to or post on the samba as kids under 15 research vw and answer questions that that learned over a few years of hands on instead of internet searches.
so I go to hooligan face book and answer questions to help people as I did for 20 plus years on vintavw list and the samba site after petting everettes dog to get in and even prior to that. I have never whined I just don't post on here much.

Your language is a bit confusing but if you are saying there 15 year olds on here answering questions then that is incorrect. There are very few 15 yr/ olds on the site.

I do know you quit posting as much as people were not listening to you.
I would not let that deter you as most people know you have much more experience than others. Or they will figure it out soon enough once stuff doesn't work and they realize what you said is correct.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: