Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grizzly Super Vee Tee re-build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some updates. I got the rear frame sorted, painted , brake hard lines run and the engine installed. I then moved on to the front section of the frame, all the mock up done, tabs welded, started priming..etc.etc., And here's what it looks like about every weekend in the garage. Tonight I finished running brake lines on the front section.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool project. I am a huge fan of "hot rod" vw's T bucket's are nice & simple cars, this guy went the other way & made a very modern frame, suspension. Nice find. If you go to the type 3 section on alternator upgrade, you will see that you can keep it closer to the engine. I would think about adding the front part of the type 3 fan shroud & adding some ducting to get cooler air to the motor. Keep the pictures coming.
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Update. Well the frame is together, and fuel and brake lines run. Next hang the front and rear suspension....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update. Yesterday I worked on the front panel and wiring harness mounting.

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I took a silly picture of the wheel/tire combo finished. I'm just weird that way

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few updates. The gas tank is now cleaned out and installed and a electric fuel pump is on it's way. The oil hoses are also now run to the cooler as well. All I have to do is bleed them before start up. I also drilled a few holes in the battery box, just to match the rest of the car....can never have too many holes Shocked I also have the rack and pinion ready to go in as well, oh it seems it's either a Morris or MG unit.

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tonight I installed the steering rack and gear. Might need to rethink the steering support bearing. But if I look at it long enough I'll get it.

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now July 2013 and I have an update. I finished installing the front end, chamfered the rotors (left one is done in picture) and installed calipers etc. Now I can take some measurements and have some brake hoses made. I was planning on installing the front tires too until I couldn't find the lug nuts. How does one lose there nuts!!!!!. So I proceeded to the rear trailing arms, bearings and such. I found some nice chrome old stock Carrera shocks...There's some hours in this thing for sure.

Last edited by volksnut on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got both sides of the rear suspension installed....man that's a lot of work, next is to rebuild the axles. I can't wait to get it a roller.

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....I have some updates today.
I finished up the front suspension and got it and the wheels to the ground. I still need to make a couple brackets for the brake hoses as they rub on the tires at full lock. I also got new boots for the CV joints and all the parts for the rear brakes and got them installed. I had to make a way to torque my rear axle nuts on the rear drums. I have a torque modifier tool for VW's ( early and late bolt pattern) but when you add Chevy bolt pattern drums into the mix it won't work. These aftermarket drums have a dual pattern, Porsche and Chevy. so I came up with a simple solution by welding a couple lug studs together to make it work with the VW pattern. With that out of the way and the wheels installed the rear made it to the ground as well. So today I did some alignments by the string method.

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have some cool news, I was looking at the original battery to see what group it was to buy another and lo and behold (grandma used to say that) it still has the date code on it...this confirms the date it was last run with the NSRA window stick that was on the windshield.

But yesterday I did get the headers installed.....folks it's all most time to make SMOKE Smile Video's will follow

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got smoke....here's a picture until I get the video together Smile

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay....here it is, I tried to get it on you tube but it wouldn't load, I did have other videos edited together, it was to long and boring, but you get the picture.... I still have to sync the carbs and set the timing, oh and I installed baffles after this

Link
fishybastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man that thing is cool! Your doing a great job on getting it back to its former glory. I dig it Smile
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As JJ would say "looking good"
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have another update (August 2013). As you know this past weekend I got the cam broke in and added some baffles, it was really too loud. So today after work I tuned the carbs and adjusted the timing, I'm real happy how it's turned out so far, it runs great....and best of all NO LEAKS Enjoy

Link

Last edited by volksnut on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an update today. I built a headlight bar to house my turn signal lights. I used 3/8" tube for the spreader bar and 1 1/4" for the light mounts. I welded a nut to the end of the tubing and the lights screw right in. The unit bolts to the combo dampner/head light mount.

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a few more updates....I bought a bigger set of rear tires, I needed a bit more height for clearance of the spring. The originals that came with the car were 27" tall, these are 29" same width though. I also blasted/primed and assembled the headlights and front turn signal bar.

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a few updates. I got all the floor fiberglass areas (i.e. carb cut outs, pedal area reinforcing/flanges etc. done, took a cool picture with the body mounted so you all can see what I mean. I got most of the body work done, like I said I want to see it go down the road then paint it later. Also all the wiring is done as well as the headlights and tail lights lit too. Just have to run the throttle cable and a few more tid bits and maybe next week see if it will move under it's own power....stay tuned

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE.... Well today the Fed Ex truck dropped off my throttle cable, the last item to install to get her down the road. One thing I must say though, if you have a bad back like me it's a bitch to work on a T, I don't know how long I leaned over that body to get the pedal/cable finished. Anyway enough of that....So after remembering it now has a coil cut off switch it started right up....I then inched it down the driveway to the street, no leaks or scraps...I proceeded up and down the street until the neighbors came out....can't really go anywhere til I get the paperwork done but this was the first step. Drove good and straight Smile Here's a few pictures of the adventure. In the 3rd picture you'll see where I mounted the dipstick....hey it's between my legs Smile It is a type III power plant remember.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: