Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grizzly Super Vee Tee re-build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few updates......I got the wood cut and stained/cleared and installed for the bed floor. I then sent the metal pieces to get powder coated aluminum like the chassis parts. So today got the sides installed with new stainless hardware and it turned out nice, I think. I also added a battery cut off switch since you have to remove a board to get to it. My wife talked me into a ride around the block and I even took my in-laws for a ride too as there visiting from N.C. The car still needs some tuning but you get the point. The video's were from my wife's phone, so I'll get some better quality one's soon...

Link

Link

Link

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last pix you can see the tag surround I scored on ebay. The car in it's day went to the '79 NATS in MN, now I have it to add to the dash plaque. Oh also made up a mount to hang my TT mirror...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a few updates on the T. It appears the gas tank was weeping a bit in the one corner so I pulled it and prepped the tank and used some Caswell tank sealer on it http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html , when I pulled the fuel gauge sender I found the float was filled with fuel Sad also the sender looked like it had been subject to some...Ethanol Brought it up with VDO and found out I got a bogus off shore unit. The guy on ebay was selling them as authentic VDO units. So there was some more money wasted and thrown down the drain...hopefully I have that problem solved.

I also have the emergency brake sorted, the handle is a modified 1961 Fiat 600 unit mounted...well you can see it in the picture. And today I've been working on a way to cover up that Large HOLE in the floor for the pedals, steering column and U joint....A bit more trimming and it will be good to go

Last edited by volksnut on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today Mike would be proud. Took the T bucket to the local Groundhog Gala car show and it took Best Engineered. I had so many people really interested in the car and the way it was built. Makes me really want to scrape the extra money together and get it done. Smile

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the paper work to the DMV,(not the FHP like I first thought, paperwork first then appointment) the lady was nice, but I have to go back, a few issues nothing major...yet. I finished the interior attachments and door panels. Part of the return to DMV was better pictures of the car. This was the left side with the newly installed horn. This was today, everything in bloom

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

April 1 2014 ...I've worked 2 long years on this car...And I finally received the title today, and this is where they put the vin #....yes it's April fools, but this ain't no joke....I have no words to comment at this time.

Last edited by volksnut on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems what I can do after I paint the car is take it back and they will reinstall another vin #....in the proper place? Anyway another UPDATE! I got my personalized tag, explanation unnecessary

volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update June 21st 2014 ....I've been driving it a bit more lately and noticed one front caliper locking up and sticking. Well instead of rebuilding the unit again I thought I would go a different route. I noticed this autocross guy running a set of motorcycle calipers on his Fiat 850. He even make the brackets to hang them. So I hit ebay and collected the parts and man it really stops now, better pedal too. If interested the calipers come on the '04/'05 Suzuki GSX-R's Smile

Last edited by volksnut on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

June 21st 2014.....I thought this was funny. My wife needed boxes to do some moving at school, so she thought a good place to stack the empty boxes was on top of my T Bucket. After I saw what she did it got me thinking, I remember the original owner (Mike Griswold) had a different T Bucket back in the early 60's and had some magazine coverage at a show, and for some reason he thought it would be cool to stack boxes on top of the pickup box also....weird but funny huh. The other picture was just another angle of the car Smile

Last edited by volksnut on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a great job. Congrats on the award, looks good, well deserved. I have a buddy that piled pizza boxes on his beetle for a pizza shop ad for delivery. Most people asked if the boxes had pizza in them. Keep up the pics Applause
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the car, and the fact you are doing all that first rate work in a normal sized garage! This reminds me so much of the interesting street rod trends going on in the mid 70's. Very good job sir!!
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE, it's now July 19th.... Well I'm sure you all remember the e brake I had been working on with fitting a Fiat 600 handle and trying out a CV joint/axle mounted kart brake, it's kinda like a driveshaft/yoke brake for street rods....well I wasn't happy with it and it didn't work very well. Okay with that said....brings me the last Daytona Rod Run I bought a '40 Ford e brake handle and thought I could do something with that one day. What I did was remove the handle bracket that bolted to the lower dash of the '40 and fitted the handle upright to the floor/firewall area with the cable exiting through the floor, then the cable took a 90 degree turn to a block that fitted both rear VW cables. I must say it works like a charm, looks funny but works, might have to work on it's appearance Smile Oh when I told the wife I used a sliding door roller wheel....she asked "Does our door still work" she know's me better than that....I hope?

While working on removing the rear drums from the T to fit the cables, I tried pulling the drums off but they wouldn't give. So I scratched my head a bit and made a simple plate, added a few washers behind and used my 3 finger puller...and off she came

Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kool car
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Bakerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Luv it Reply with quote

What a neat build. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work
colorado_aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new updates, can't get enough of this car !
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colorado_aircooled wrote:
Any new updates, can't get enough of this car !

Nothing as of late, bought a '57 Chevy, so been working on that, oh and my daughter and son in law moved in (saving for a house) so it's tough to get it out of the garage Sad
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a helper for the garage or an excuse to get out of the house & go the garage. Laughing Love this build. Keep up the posts
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the suspension on this car!! You did an amazing job bringing it back to life! Whomever gets the car for the "bargain" price you have it listed at is truly lucky! Best wishes on the sale and your new projects! Well done on this one!
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for the kind words, Yes the car is now for sale, here's the link to the ad http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1726379
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is now sold and the new owner lives in Arizona. Hopefully he will continue and add to this post.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: