Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My most needed forum
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WendyArmbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: My most needed forum Reply with quote

The forum I need most is one where I can ask, "Where the %&#@ did I just put my 13mm wrench?!?" or "Where's my Bentley manual?!?" Turns out the Bentley is in the bus refrigerator, and the 13mm is under the cardboard I'm laying on. Now I can't find my hubcap puller. RRRRGGGGHHH!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find my lost car keys in my right front pocket. No matter where I lay them down or where I loose them I always find my car keys in my right front pocket. My brother gets so damn upset because I always find my lost car keys in my right front pocket.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once spent an hour looking for my 36 mm socket. I was losing my mind because I JUST had it. I set it over the jack handle Embarassed
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people make them now and the prices are plummeting.....

Bluetooth "key" finders.

http://www.amazon.com/Newest-Bluetooth-Anti-Lost-F...th+locator

Of course if you misplace your cell phone...........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get to the point where I can't find my tools, that's when I have to stop and spend a day cleaning up the garage.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say you find things in the last place you thought to look. Well, if you keep looking at new places after you found it, you're an idiot.

Before my LASIK surgery, I would spend many frustrated minutes searching for my glasses, which of course I couldn't see until I was right on top of them. Who came up with THAT system?

I make fun of my dog, who after losing sight of the ball I throw, will revert to looking in the place he found it LAST time, even if it is nowhere near he saw it thrown this time.

But I've done that myself when looking for a tool or car part in my mess of a garage. Who's the dog now?

Favorite "lost and found" story? Back in the 1970s, the Jesus folks had a yellow bumper sticker with the phrase "I found it!". Jews then retorted with stickers in the same style that said, "We never lost it!". My favorite topper: "I stepped in it!"
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes i find myself standing in the garage and not only can I not find it...I dont even remember what the heck i am looking for Embarassed
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two wrenches that I can never find when I need them are both my 13mm and 10mm wrenches. I now have 3 of each of them, and more than half the time, they seem to disappear when I need them
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look first in the last place I would look. But I guess that makes the last place the first place and then the first place I would look becomes last. It confuses the garage gremlins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WendyArmbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I run into a VW problem that I don't know how to solve, my first thought is that somebody on the Samba knows how to fix this. So that's my first thought when I lose a tool too, even though I quickly realize that's ridiculous. I hate breaking into my backup tools. It's like admitting defeat.
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently rebuilding an engine - I would swear I spent more time LOOKING for things I either misplaced or JUST used then misplaced then the time I was actually working on the engine.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I can't find my Visegrips, the first place I look is on the clutch cable. Laughing

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once bought a 70 bug and there was a pair of ole rusty vice grips still clamped on the clutch cable... That was over 20 years ago, still have them.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
I once bought a 70 bug and there was a pair of ole rusty vice grips still clamped on the clutch cable... That was over 20 years ago, still have them.

I had that exact experience.

Lately, with all the special tools I lose, I've begun attaching redundant thrift store tools to the things I need them for: A 1/2 socket wrench sits right on my irrigation pump for the priming plugs, and a Phillips sits right on the control panel. A 12mm open end wrench sits right under the seat of my tractor for bleeding the injector lines, etc. These dedicated tools are not allowed beyond 5' of their host depository. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
When I can't find my Visegrips, the first place I look is on the clutch cable. Laughing

Must be the common thing to do! I just got done pulling an engine and found a set I lost three years ago.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one first and foremost... Read this place every morning like a newspaper with my coffee!! This place is an absolute invaluable asset all the way from the technical to all of the lighter side that either informs you or gives you a good laugh of everything!

But during my 10+ year hiatus from the VW scene I went in the boating & road racing phase...

Had my 92' Nisssan 300Z TT (Z32), set up to the 9's! I used to heavily rely on twinturbo.net... The forum used to be massive like this place but TT.net but they changed their format it's still there but declined over the years...

And while I ran my 28' Baja H2X for about a decade found bajaboatowners.com was a pretty knowledgeable forum specific to Baja and came in handy many times!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welll since I got in to the vw seen some 13 years ago when I was effed up by a mFing surgon and could no longer work on real cars with real horsepower.....well Ive lost my mind. cant seem it find it any where.it must be gone for good,I now also have a 356 replica....how... I dont know as I have lost my mind. I just ordered a set of new 910 heads....for the 356...yup I have lost my mind. my bug thinks it has a water cooled v8 in it...I dont argue with it..but it sure can be fun like that.as for tools????24x32 fully outfitted shop with heat/ac/kitchen/watter heeter/bathroom,machine shop,blasting room,engine room& probably 5x each tool.yup cant find squat most of the time,I think the 10&13mm have gotten with the socks in the dryer...and well I think there winning the battle..and have the broom&dust pan held captive...along with my glasses.but the fridge is still full of diet soda and toilet paper is plenty so Im good for a long battle.no food required.
Anthonyisawsome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of you are as bad as me, I will look for a tool for 10-15 minutes sometimes. Swear I just had it too. I will look everywhere, move shit around double check. Just when im about to give up I set the tool down. Had it in my hand the hole damn time Evil or Very Mad Ive done this more than a few times too.

1973 Subaru powered supabeetle
(o\ l /o) 1964 Baja bug roller
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think I'm ever gonna clean out my garage, never find anything again. Had to a rush to dmv tags were runningnout, i forgot about all that junk,,wrenches etc in my pockets I had to dump in that tub to go thru mtl detector.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish wrote:

GAWD -I did this on one of the rental buggies where I worked about 1974, had no idea it was there. A month or two later I found it there.

I once "lost" same Vise-Grips holding a bolt from moving on my Convertible as I tightened a nut on it from under rear seat, was making a battery mount "stud". It was still there months later when I accidentally found it.

That's my circa-1962 Vise-Grips by the way, which I still use. No one seemed to have heard of them back then....I later wanted a needle nose one back then, but it was years later, they were working on the right kind of steel to use....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: