Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Portland Oregon Area is Happening!
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Welcome locals and travellers to your one stop shop for Portland area fun!

Organize your own events or learn about events happening in the area. Post awesome photos! Need an idea for a local camping spot? Drop us a line we will help you out. Broken down, we got you covered there too, lots of good old local folks that may be willing to help you with that pesky problem. If you’re coming through town don’t hesitate to give us a shout, there could be an open room or back yard to lay your head.

I’m thinking about these upcoming events hopefully you are too!
-late july Washington back country discovery route trip
-early august Argyle Winery tour
-Mogfest NW
And more to come……!
Giddy up! Lets have some fun!! Cool
Jahbah~D

Last edited by Jahbah on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I have one.

July 11 - 13

"Uncle Bills Timber Town of Amusement".
,Vernonia, Oregon.

Great camping on 100 acres of private land. Mid to high level trail driving.
A great spot for the Syncro Rookies and you know who you are Cool
On the Nehalem River. 5 min walk to town.

This will be the second weekend in July.

With the weather getting great let's camp.

We know a lot of great off grids so if you want to camp on a specific date, shout it out and maybe we can put it together. Cool
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"

Last edited by VanWilder on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Jahbah wrote:

-late july Washington back country discovery route trip

I really want to do this. Keep me posted!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in!
Jahbah - You trying to do the whole Washington Back country route or just a section?

NWMF - Im there.

Whats the details on your winery event? An overnight type deal?

Just trying to plan vacation time if needed.

Thanks,
Keith
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy... we are officially residents (again) of Oregon. I can't wait to meet all of you. We should have our house in Oregon City by the end of the day. Fingers crossed. We are off camping for ten days plus a audition for a TV show in Seattle on the 28th. Anyone have great dispersed camping spots or tips for MT Hood area starting tomorrow? Mt St Helens after that... WAHOO!

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aswah wrote:
Howdy... we are officially residents (again) of Oregon. I can't wait to meet all of you. We should have our house in Oregon City by the end of the day. Fingers crossed. We are off camping for ten days plus a audition for a TV show in Seattle on the 28th. Anyone have great dispersed camping spots or tips for MT Hood area starting tomorrow? Mt St Helens after that... WAHOO!
aswah, Trillium lake there is a spot off the road that leads into the Trillium camp ground. Calle if you would like more details. 503.593.3936 J.C.
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool to here there is interest in the Washington discovery route. I've heard the whole thing can be done in three days. The first section from hood river is quite tame and could be done in a 2wd easily. That's the only chunk I've done. But here's a cool thread on the subject:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...mp;start=0

Uncle Bills is marked on my calendar already JC. It's going to be a hoot.

Aswah, may I recommend you take a look at kinzel creek. The road to it heads SW from trillium lake. It's a very tranquil little spot with a really cool hike to a near by fire tower with stunning views. The road out is not paved and is rough but it's a great spot to spend a day or two. Laurence lake on the north side of hood is sweet if you get there before the weekend rush. If your going to St. Helens, lake takhlakh is the best camp spot around. With views that may make you just stay there instead of doing anything else. Like any where in the Pinchot there may be bugs so bring protection.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers
D
Jahbah~D
flyindutchman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me in coach. lets get some dates on the calendar soon. I almost have it put back together!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jahbah wrote:
Cool to here there is interest in the Washington discovery route. I've heard the whole thing can be done in three days. The first section from hood river is quite tame and could be done in a 2wd easily. That's the only chunk I've done. But here's a cool thread on the subject:

Obviously I'm not a Portlander, but I am going to do the WABDR this summer too. If the dates align, I may be able to time it so that I can travel south from Ellensberg to the Packwood area, meet up with you guys and then travel back up north with you guys. Any idea when exactly you may be doing this?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Jahbah wrote:

Obviously I'm not a Portlander, but I am going to do the WABDR this summer too. If the dates align, I may be able to time it so that I can travel south from Ellensberg to the Packwood area, meet up with you guys and then travel back up north with you guys. Any idea when exactly you may be doing this?

Yeah! Let's get some dates going and make some plans. Anyone from BC interested? I believe you can go right back into Canada on the WABDR.
I'm thinking I'd like to head south, meet up with the PDXers and work north, if that's what the majority are doing. But I could go either way...

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just east of Packwood is a good place to start and/or meet up. You can camp along a nice river a few miles from the start of the route. Thats where the 4X4 starts, up to that point is just gravel roads. Dont get me wrong it real nice, but if your trying to save time then start in Packwood and head North. Packwood to Ellinsburge is awesome, great views and not any people. Thats about a full day of driving.

Might be nice to start at the top and drive South, making for a shorter last day. Any thoughts?

Any dates been thrown around yet? Maybe somewhere in mid to late July?

-Keith
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Francois,
dug this out of the dungeon for you.

Quote:
http://goo.gl/maps/3Vzwu

Just as you take a right of NF2656, look for E Perry Vickers Rd on the right, take that right. Free camping is on your Right(best sites in the trees) or on the Left in the open area where the old airstrip used to be. Just west of there, the big open meadow, there is one of the best views of Mt. Hood ever. Hoping that is where the best views of the Meteor showers will be. There are also pit toilets a small walk/drive away just west on Perry Vickers Road. I am pretty sure that all of the sites on the right will be taken, but, we may actually be better off for meteor shower viewing camping inside the old airstrip. There are tons of sites there.

I am planning on bringing two cars so I can bring lots of firewood. Let me know if you can make it and I will PM you my number.

Scraped from a previous years campout:

PDXWesty wrote:
There's a turn-off just before Trillium that I know of that is all free camping. I't a field that used to be an airstrip. It's between Trillium and Still Creek Campground. You could park as many vans as you wanted and no one is around to bother you. No facilities and it's about a half mile from the lake, but it's a good place to build a fire and have unlimited space and noise. If you need a real bathroom though, it's not the place.

This should link you to the location:
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-BG2whi7qtjTzS1xa

Sorry I cannot make the welcome party this evening. It is excellent to have you in town. Congrats on the big move.

Jahbah wrote:

Chris, you are an honorary PDX~er.
The Discovery route has been on my bucket list since seeing the Joe/Dana/Daryl/Kirk pics. Looks like a good trek to break in the new transmission.

Best,
X
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aswah welcome to Oregon City! I yelled at you from our wagon in passing at the R/R tracks at the bottom of the hill. I recognized the van and that's it......

Glad to have more vanagon folks here, hope to cross paths and get a real introducing on..

Welcome
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah let's figure out some dates for this trip. I was thinking the end of July very beginning of August. 25-27 of July works for me, but I think I could figure out August 1-3... Christopher what dates were you thinking? Photodave I was thinking about south to north starting in packwood but I'm flexible. Mrshrimp what say you? Did you figure out front cv replacement yet? I got a line on some if your still in need.

Bueno

Jahbah
Jahbah~D
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips! off into the woods we go!

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:

Jahbah wrote:

Chris, you are an honorary PDX~er.
The Discovery route has been on my bucket list since seeing the Joe/Dana/Daryl/Kirk pics. Looks like a good trek to break in the new transmission.

Best,
X

Hey X, Thanks! I can't remember if I told you or not, but I was born in Portland and grew up in Hillsboro ('till I was 12-13). So I guess that counts for something, huh?

When I first read your message, I thought you said, "Looks like a good trek to break the new transmission". I missed the "in" part of "break" and thought, " Shocked "!!!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jahbah wrote:
25-27 of July works for me...

I am totally down with those dates! Sheesh, now I have to find the time to fix the stinkin' Syncro!

VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Uncle Bill's Timber Town in Vernonia would be a great starter weekend to break/fix or fine tune before Washington Back Roads trip,,, just sayin... Cool
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bunch of awesome events! I think I can join in on the fun in Vernonia, and maybe the 2wd portion of the Washington trail.
And I won't miss a winery tour! Thanks for offering that,
D.

We PDXers need a good place in town to gather and drink beers when we are not in the woods. I thought I would throw out my family's favorite burger place, Tilt.

3449 N Anchor St
Unit 200
Portland, OR 97217-7679
United States

There is outdoor seating and enough parking to accommodate a bunch of us.
Next weekend anyone?

Cheers!
John
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are looking forward to Argyle! We missed out on the last event and it looked like a great time.

Nwmf - we will pop by for an afternoon.

It's rare that we can make the camp outs so any opportunity to have an afternoon ale in a parking lot and talk vans is always welcomed.

Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 45

Jump to: