Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Portland Oregon Area is Happening!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: skidplate Reply with quote

kwilk wrote:
a big thank you to FrankenSubySyncro for staying up past midnight last night installing and customizing my skidplate....

Pics or it didn't happen!
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: skidplate Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
kwilk wrote:
a big thank you to FrankenSubySyncro for staying up past midnight last night installing and customizing my skidplate....

Pics or it didn't happen!

We should probably go test it!
kwilk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: skidplate Reply with quote

yes, we should go test it! someone needs to show me (in person) how to put pics on here. any takers for both of these things?
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fall Chanterlle Kick Off!!!

So we were out this weekend and found a small grouping of White Chanterrelle Mushrooms near the town of Vernonia. Exact coords to come to those interested via PM. Cool

A couple of us are thinking about a group picking adventure only 1.5 hours from Portland. Coastal range-ish. There is a great group camp ground that can support about ten Vanagons. To reserve the group spot is only $25.00 per night for the entire group. There are 4 Adirondack sheds to either sleep in or simply use for shelter at this site. Good facilities and lots of trails. This place is heavily tree infested making for a nice moisture base for our mushrooms. We are thinking about Oct 3,4 after this weeks rain.

Major**Edit** After speaking with the camp ground to check availability, I was told that vehicles are not allowed in the camping area. Which we obviously broke that rule Applause They are actually walk ins.

I believe a better option would be to stay on Uncle Bill's land and then do a day trip 20 mins from there to go forage for Mushrooms on Saturday. Having said that, this could then be an opportunity to do a little Syncro action on Bill's land.

All are welcome...
We found these Whites just 50 feet from our camp.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ARE YOU IN????? Cool
GWTWTLW
Jahbah
Aswah
FrankenSubi
Jkidd
John Go
Kwilk
What say you? If I missed anyone please chime in. This would be a fantastic group adventure and culinary delight.
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"

Last edited by VanWilder on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be so in but promised the wife and 3.5 year old and dog we would camp together...

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aswah wrote:
i would be so in but promised the wife and 3.5 year old and dog we would camp together...
Thanks for chiming in Aswah. If you folks change your mind, this will be a fun trip for all. Smile
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun to me!
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this forward do to some change in plans.
VanWilder wrote:
Fall Chanterlle Kick Off!!!

So we were out this weekend and found a small grouping of White Chanterrelle Mushrooms near the town of Vernonia. Exact coords to come to those interested via PM. Cool

A couple of us are thinking about a group picking adventure only 1.5 hours from Portland. Coastal range-ish. There is a great group camp ground that can support about ten Vanagons. To reserve the group spot is only $25.00 per night for the entire group. There are 4 Adirondack sheds to either sleep in or simply use for shelter at this site. Good facilities and lots of trails. This place is heavily tree infested making for a nice moisture base for our mushrooms. We are thinking about Oct 3,4 after this weeks rain.

Major**Edit** After speaking with the camp ground to check availability, I was told that vehicles are not allowed in the camping area. Which we obviously broke that rule Applause They are actually walk ins.

I believe a better option would be to stay on Uncle Bill's land and then do a day trip 20 mins from there to go forage for Mushrooms on Saturday. Having said that, this could then be an opportunity to do a little Syncro action on Bill's land.

All are welcome...
We found these Whites just 50 feet from our camp.

ARE YOU IN????? Cool
GWTWTLW
Jahbah
Aswah
FrankenSubi
Jkidd
John Go
Kwilk
What say you? If I missed anyone please chime in. This would be a fantastic group adventure and culinary delight.

guggenheim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in getting some water toys or gear. Alder Creeks Annual Fall Sale, retired rentals and gear is tomorrow SAT, 9/27.

http://aldercreek.com/category/sales-and-discounts/
KQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow Portlanders! I'm new to the community and hopefully about to buy my first Vanagon soon! I'm headed up to Seattle to check this one out:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/4683779575.html

What do you all think? Reasonably priced? Any tips on what I should look for/ask about are welcome!

Thanks,
Kathryn
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KQ wrote:
Hello fellow Portlanders! I'm new to the community and hopefully about to buy my first Vanagon soon! I'm headed up to Seattle to check this one out:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/4683779575.html

What do you all think? Reasonably priced? Any tips on what I should look for/ask about are welcome!

Thanks,
Kathryn

Take the 1 off the front of that price and you're close.
Dealers either don't know what they have and price below market value, or they do their "research" and try and get top market value.
This van is priced way too high.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KQ... awesome... owning a van is an amazing thing. I would also agree it is priced high for what it has to offer. For that price I would expect a few mods like bigger wheel, propex, better fridge, etc. under ten for sure. Otherwise... awesome and welcome to the community...

1989 Westy
KQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photogdave and aswah: thank you both for your advice! I didn't end up going to look at the van in Seattle: it sold before I got on the road. But, I really appreciate the insight on pricing. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong spots? I check both The Samba classifieds and use SearchTempest to scan every Craigslist list within 500 miles of Portland several times a day. From what I've seen (I've been looking since July) '86-'90 vans run around $12,000 to $20,000, with a wide variety in quality, upkeep and improvements. For example, I looked at one last week, an '85 w/ the original engine, tires, etc. and about 160k miles on it: priced at $15k. To get modifications like 16" wheels, a Propex heater, an Engel fridge, etc. I'm seeing prices more in the $25k to $30k range. Are there other spots I should be looking besides The Samba classifieds and Craigslist? I'm not comfortable buying a vehicle off of ebay that I wouldn't get a chance to check out in person.

Thanks again! Oh, and if this is the wrong thread to discuss pricing and van shopping tips, just let me know... I'm still learning the rules around here Very Happy
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathryn,
Prices really do vary but, in my opinion, you can find a nice van in the lower end of the price range you mention if you're patient. Good deals are still out there but it can take some time to find them.
In the meantime you should familiarize yourself with the model variations and their values, if you haven't already. Lots of great info in the stickies at the top of the forum.
Don't worry about modifications too much as they can always be added later to suit your particular needs and tastes. Don't think you have to pay more because an owner is trying to get full value for their fancy wheels or already-out-of-date solar panel setup.
Good luck! Cool

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
Hi Kathryn,
Prices really do vary but, in my opinion, you can find a nice van in the lower end of the price range you mention if you're patient. Good deals are still out there but it can take some time to find them.
In the meantime you should familiarize yourself with the model variations and their values, if you haven't already. Lots of great info in the stickies at the top of the forum.
Don't worry about modifications too much as they can always be added later to suit your particular needs and tastes. Don't think you have to pay more because an owner is trying to get full value for their fancy wheels or already-out-of-date solar panel setup.
Good luck! Cool
X2, you need to keep looking for the deal that is right for you. The search continues. Cool Welcome to the group Kathryn Very Happy
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked in the car business over 40 yrs.you will know when you see the van you want.some people will say you paid to much other people will say you got a deal.don't matter you'll know the van when you see it.almost any van will need some kind of work to make it the way you want it.you'll find the one that has your name on it.
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, in regards to mods I merely meant at that price they ought to have some cool mods... I see the best prices on buses that are parked on the street or even Karl Mullendore's page Westy Ventures sometimes has amazing vehicles for great prices. Before we got Kaya he had a synchro that had many mods and was in great shape... I wish I had snagged that one. Take care and good luck!

1989 Westy
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man-o-man,
I wish that I could get on board with one of these sweet events. I might be free for the Syncro Safari, but the mushy-extravaganza is a no go. The chantrelle's are out there and delicious! I've been far too busy to do anything but smoosh grapes though. Been at it for three weeks straight Shocked and we've recieved 1,200 tons of grade A fruit. For those who don't work in tons that's about 80,000 gallons of the good stuff! Cheers ladies and gents just figured I'd poke my head up. Enjoy the fall. See you after Halloween!

Jahbah~D
Jahbah~D
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Jahbah! We'll see you on the other side!
KQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the van shopping advice! Much appreciated. The search continues...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 45

Jump to: