Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Portland Oregon Area is Happening!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jthiessen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Xevin, to answer your other questions below:

Xevin wrote:
Realized your van/bus is not with you. So no pics. Maybe you can use this to help me out with Torque plate.

How many miles since you changed the oil? [I have not recently changed the oil]
Did you get into the oil strainer shown here? [No]
Do you have hydraulic lifters in that 77 engine. [now have an 80 air-cooled motor, so i assume yes]
If not hydraulic lifters. How many miles since last valve adjustment? [havent done this.
How old are the valve cover seals? [just replaced the valve cover seals]

Are you interested in working on your van? If yes, Then you will find more help on those links I sent you around page 34 or 35.
You have a type 4 aircooled motor. But I suppose it doesn't help you with finding a mechanic.

You might be better off leaving it with Tom at Halsey then doing damage driving it around. Call Ashley at Always Vdub and see how backed up he is.
You got Traftons too. And I know a great mechanic in Mulino.

Tcash wrote:
url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7488157#7488157]Type 4 oil strainer[/url]

Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

i like wally's halsey automotive on 92nd (or so). they like aircooled over there and are good guys. not associated w halsey auto but wally's family used to run halsey s'why the confusing name.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Jthiessen,
Got it, noise in the bell housing. God tip Chachi. Didn't know Wallys was still around. And I would trust Chachi's recommendation.
I'm puzzled with a new engine loosing oil like that with no visible signs.
Here is some reading. We should probably let this thread get back on track with happening things (My fault) Good luck.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192364&highlight=oil+leaks

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
jthiessen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

To continue the saga, I got my van back from Halsey Automotive. Basically they didn't do anything but determine that the clicking noise is coming from the torque converter. So I took some video of it running in my driveway. Take a look at the video. You will notice the click at seconds 9, 32, 35, and 54. And this is worsened when driving. And remember, it very intermittent.

Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks.

Link

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

You will get more responses in the Bay window forum on this. Try starting a new post. Or it's own post in the Vanagon forum. Most folks here have water cooled engines and different transaxles. That is odd.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

put a mechanics stethoscope or big screw driver and ear to the end of it to isolate the noise.then you'll know where to start.
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Hey van people's!

Leti and I are getting pretty darn close to finishing our house! Possibly by the end of August we can have a full on gtg at our place. Hope your all well and planning on going to Mogfest.

---anyone know how to get a hold of Jamie? White Syncro westy?? If you are Jamie or you know his samba handle or how to get a hold of him shoot me a PM please.------

Take 'er easy
D
Jahbah~D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kwilk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

that is very exciting Dustin! I can't wait to see it! I will bring your chair the next time we hook up.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Another van stolen in SE: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660706
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Hey all. New van owner here in Hood River. I assume we're included in the "Portland Area"??

Some info on the van and me...

I've spent the last 5 years rebuilding vintage Japanese motorcycles, so I definitely have a thing for getting my hands dirty and learning new things.

I've had my eye on the Vanagon campers ever since moving to HR last year where they are plentiful.

Finally pulled the trigger last week and said goodbye to my motorcycle in exchange for a van.

The van:
1987.5 Vanagon Wolfsburg Weekender

The family:
Myself (Tyler) and my wife (Nicole) and our 2 year old son River. We plan on spending many weekends ahead camping in the van.

Nice to meet you all and I'll keep an eye on this thread for more info on events and what not.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/i]
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Nice van Tyler, Welcome from Eugene and all places NW
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Looks clean!
Go on the Portland Vanagons group and Oregon Vanagon overlanders group on facebook for more current event info.
Enjoy!

https://www.instagram.com/bjornthebus/

Parts wanted/needed - A high top. CLK wheels. A weekender rear cabinet and head banger.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Looks like a few of us are gathering at Pacific City this weekend. On the beach by day, brew pub in the eve, bonfires at night and some sneaky spot stay overs. See you Friday eve in front of The Pelican. Bring wood Wink
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Any recommendations on van camping spots near Astoria? Might be shooting up there in a few weeks, and might stay the night if we can find a spot.

Also, the image is of the van's good side. Passenger side isn't as pretty Wink
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
kwilk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

welcome hoodrat! just down the way is nehalem state park and manzanita and its great, but not off grid. Also, I come to hood river a lot! Coming that way Thursday as a matter of fact....Kim
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

kwilk wrote:
welcome hoodrat! just down the way is nehalem state park and manzanita and its great, but not off grid. Also, I come to hood river a lot! Coming that way Thursday as a matter of fact....Kim

Awesome! What brings you out this way? The wind?
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

The wind in her hair and the stars in the sky ( Perseid Meteor shower)
kwilk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

what he said! also gonna kick around down by the water by STOKED most likely, then sleep over in white salmon then friday do a hike near adams, then hood to watch the sky
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

kwilk wrote:
what he said! also gonna kick around down by the water by STOKED most likely, then sleep over in white salmon then friday do a hike near adams, then hood to watch the sky

Sounds like a fun night! Enjoy.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

I know it exists and it also seems as though an absence is looming. . .

No one's mentioned mogfest and where are all the pdx/pnw vanagon/syncro folk?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 45

Jump to: