Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Exhaust?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AzBrewCrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Which Exhaust? Reply with quote

So I just bought a nice cal look bug that is mostly complete. It has a nice mild 1776cc, with Engle 100 and Dual 40 IDF's. The ignition is a SVDA. Stock heads. The PO installed a stainless Vintage speed "sport muffler". This is s basically a stock style muffler, in stainless, big tips, with little or no back pressure.

I am thinking of swapping it out for a nice NOS set of merged dual QP's that I have had for 20 years. I don't have the header so here is my question.

1 1/2" or 1/5/8"? I am thinking for such a small stock head motor that a 1 1/2" is plenty. At some point I am planning on making it a 1915cc with a little more aggressive heads. I may need new exhaust at that time but it would be nice to change it just once.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave the stainless system on it if it were mine. go to 1.625 when you go big cc.or try it to see if the stainless works with big cc.the stainless has more than just shine to it.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With stock heads, mild cam, and your modest displacement, 1 3/8" is all you need. Keep your existing Vintage Speed muffler.
AzBrewCrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't feel very crisp in lower RPM. My thinking was that a 4-2-1 small 1 1/2" merged would help the low end some.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Which Exhaust? Reply with quote

I'd look really hard at the carbs (jetting) and ignition before changing the exhaust.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AzBrewCrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, this is the one I have.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Sport-Muffler-155-212-052SF-p/155-212-052sf.htm

If you feel strongly about it's potential, then I'll work with it for a while to see if it grows on me.

The ignition is a SVDA (your nice one, with electronic ignition), so I guess carbs are next. It actually runs very nice mid to top end.
57 Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
With stock heads, mild cam, and your modest displacement, 1 3/8" is all you need. Keep your existing Vintage Speed muffler.

X2! 1 3/8 is perfect. You can go with 1 1/2 if u plan on goin WOT a lot and plan on upgrading later. I ran 1 1/2 all the way up to my 2074. For the street 1 5/8 is all u need on pretty much anything above that to keep the torque.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biger exhaust isant usualy a low end fix. do as john said, get tuned right first.
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57 Rag wrote:
For the street 1 5/8 is all u need on pretty much anything above that to keep the torque.

I need 1-3/4 on my 2276 to keep ahead of the V8's, cam is most happy up there Very Happy
57 Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smkn_vw wrote:
57 Rag wrote:
For the street 1 5/8 is all u need on pretty much anything above that to keep the torque.

I need 1-3/4 on my 2276 to keep ahead of the V8's, cam is most happy up there Very Happy

Welllllll I got an 86c in my 2332 set up by Chico and he without hesitation said 1 5/8ths. Hey but like I said. U wanna be top ending it WOT than that's cool too but that's one place I don't wanna race V8s is on top. I used to race my camaros and if I'm anywhere near a 4banger on top I'll run ya down. Well most of um! Laughing
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey who said anything about racing just trying to keep up with traffic some days it moves faster than others lol!
RHough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shopping for exhaust for my 1972 Ghia
The engine is (will be):
92 x 74 1968cc
Engle W-110 cam
Weber 40mm IDF's
ACP "L3" Heads 35/32mm

The systems I'm looking at are:

A-1 1 1/2" with 1 1/2" heater boxes. Header $390, Muffler $280, Heaters $360 for a $1030 Total. These are not stocked and the lead time is more than 5 weeks with no real idea how much longer.

CSP Python 38mm (1 1/2") $988 for header and muffler, $688 for the Heaters for a $1680 total. A Beetle system is in stock locally, but I don't know if #251-101-038 will fit a Ghia. CSP lists 251-141-038 as a Ghia #

Bugpack Street-Max 1 5/8" with the Mondo muffler and heater boxes. Complete system $667 in stock locally.

Is the A-1 enough better than the Bugpack to wait until ??? for it?

Is the CSP enough German SS goodness to pay $1680 for it?

Is 1 5/8" too big for my mild 1968cc daily driver?

I don't want to buy more exhaust than I will need, but I don't want to hurt drivability with a bad choice.

The system must have heater boxes. The engine should be 110-120HP, what would you do for exhaust?

Thanks!

Randy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: