Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 83 Rabbit Convertible
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BethanyGrace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: My 83 Rabbit Convertible Reply with quote

I recently bought my first classic car, an '83 Rabbit Convertible. When I first saw it, I was drawn to the rare burgundy brown color and the overall clean condition of the car. I am currently in graduate school obtaining my masters in art therapy and counseling. I've always had a passion for art and recently discovered the art in restoring classic cars. I decided to try it out myself! Although my Rabbit is in great shape, I eventually want to give it a paint job, replace the seals on the doors (there is some leakage) and fix some of the upholstery in the interior. For now I am simply enjoying driving it around in the nice summer weather!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I even made my own rabbit to hang from the mirror. If you are interested in your own rabbit to hang from your mirror, I would be happy to make you one!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car! Nice gesture with the mirror art!
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome! So, that's original? that's rare to see an '83 that nice that's hasn't been previously restored. If that's so, you found a gem. The paint doesn't look that bad. Just have it buffed out and don't repaint it. It's very difficult to get it back close to factory paint Without going through a lot of work and money. You would be surprised what a good buff out will do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BethanyGrace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks veedubman72. I will give that a try first!
BethanyGrace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Restoration process Reply with quote

The previous owner had a subwoofer installed and had left an amplifier in the trunk along with multiple wires running along the interior of the Rabbit. This weekend my boyfriend and I removed the wiring and amplifier and plan to install an era-appropriate Kenwood cassette player in place of the CD player.

He loves trying to figure out another person's brilliant wiring jobs

The pile of wires that we pulled out of the car.

I also polished the metal trim around the car along with the VW badge

The restoration process is coming along nicely!
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration process Reply with quote

BethanyGrace wrote:
an era-appropriate Kenwood cassette player

Love it! Too bad you couldn't find a factory one. I have a factory cassette deck in my 83 GTI. I'm torn because I want the convenience of all the bells and whistles of the new radios, but there something cool about the original radio. I'm afraid to even use the cassette feature. It might break it.

I don't know if you are already on this, but I would either get the front fender flares or get rid of the back ones. It looks weird with just one set on the car. My preference is flares.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: