Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AZ to OR Road Trip! Looking for Camping/Points of Interest
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: AZ to OR Road Trip! Looking for Camping/Points of Interest Reply with quote

Long story short, the missus and I are taking a road trip this August from our home in Hell, er... Phoenix to visit friends in Portland, Oregon. Unfortunately, the trip will not be taken in a VW this time (or else I would have posted this elsewhere), instead we are taking our new-to-us Honda Element, complete with tent, dog, bicycles, etc.

Anyway, we have 9 days total to do the deed (wish I had a month!); 3 days up there, 3-4 days to hang out, 2-3 days to come home. Our day one camp spot has just been booked, right inside of Sequoia National Park. Day two we are looking to spend some time in Sequoia, then head a few hours north to Yosemite. See what we can before proceeding north again. It's going to be slightly rushed but 9 days is all we've got! Better than nothing! After Yosemite, it's a little up in the air.

First off, I'm looking for a good place to camp slightly north of the Sacramento area for day two. I'd like to do Mt Shasta but I think we will run out of daylight. Any recommendations? I also would definitely love to see Crater Lake, hopefully that will happen on day three...

While in Portland, we might jaunt over to Seaside, I was there a few years ago and loved it. Any other must do's?

For the return journey I'm thinking two days (straight shot home more or less), but we might stretch it to three. Totally open to suggestions here.

Anything else we don't want to miss? Or we should avoid like the plague? Or I have planned completely wrong? Your comments are greatly appreciated!
camaroboi13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this same trip, although it was more for business and we didn't really have enough time to do much. I started in San Bernardino, CA, about an hour from Los Angeles. Drove to Laughlin where I met up with my grandpa and went back to his house in Williams, AZ. From there we went straight up Arizona to Utah. We accidentally took the 86T instead of the 86, which ended up on the scenic route of things. It added an extra 2 plus hours and nearly 100 miles of gorgeous canyon views with lots of cool stuff to see along the way. We parked in Jacob Lake and had a nice brunch before we headed through to Utah. Salt Lake City was quite depressing, as you can't even see the lake along the highway, but the cool oil refineries were pretty neat with the flames coming out the pipes and whatnot. Not much to see from there to Boise, but very gorgeous green grass everywhere. From there we cut the corner of Oregon and went through the cascade mtn range and straight to Seattle from there. Total drive time was roughly 25 hours and close to 1500 miles, but we were in Uhauls/trucks with car trailers so speed wasn't as great as it should have been.

I could have easily taken 2-3 days just looking at sights along the way but it was a turn around trip for me as I flew in to Palm Springs the next day. Take your time, make plenty of stops and let mother nature do the work for you. It's pretty country out there.

I understand your route is a little different, but just get out there and see stuff. You can split the ride home into two 12 hour days and you'll make it back. If you have time for a 3rd day home then you have nothing to worry about. Just enjoy it man! Grants pass is gorgeous although I generally end up there around 2-3am when I do my straight through drives from here to there. It's easy to fly up the 5 and miss lots of things along the way, so this last time it was quite nice to take a different route.

FFL GUN DEALER! PM ME FOR SOCAL TRANSFERS!
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AZ to OR Road Trip! Looking for Camping/Points of Intere Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
Long story short, the missus and I are taking a road trip this August from our home in Hell, er... Phoenix to visit friends in Portland, Oregon. Unfortunately, the trip will not be taken in a VW this time (or else I would have posted this elsewhere), instead we are taking our new-to-us Honda Element, complete with tent, dog, bicycles, etc.

Anyway, we have 9 days total to do the deed (wish I had a month!); 3 days up there, 3-4 days to hang out, 2-3 days to come home. Our day one camp spot has just been booked, right inside of Sequoia National Park. Day two we are looking to spend some time in Sequoia, then head a few hours north to Yosemite. See what we can before proceeding north again. It's going to be slightly rushed but 9 days is all we've got! Better than nothing! After Yosemite, it's a little up in the air.

First off, I'm looking for a good place to camp slightly north of the Sacramento area for day two. I'd like to do Mt Shasta but I think we will run out of daylight. Any recommendations? I also would definitely love to see Crater Lake, hopefully that will happen on day three...

While in Portland, we might jaunt over to Seaside, I was there a few years ago and loved it. Any other must do's?

For the return journey I'm thinking two days (straight shot home more or less), but we might stretch it to three. Totally open to suggestions here.

Anything else we don't want to miss? Or we should avoid like the plague? Or I have planned completely wrong? Your comments are greatly appreciated!

Los Alamos
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: AZ to OR Road Trip! Looking for Camping/Points of Intere Reply with quote

philermonic wrote:

Los Alamos

As in New Mexico?! Maybe next time Rolling Eyes
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that much driving in such a short time, I would focus less on day trips and more on roadside stuff. "Weird America" has a fun book series
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: AZ to OR Road Trip! Looking for Camping/Points of Intere Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
philermonic wrote:

Los Alamos

No, I should have been more clear.
Los Alamos, Ca.

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Alamos,_California
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: AZ to OR Road Trip! Looking for Camping/Points of Intere Reply with quote

philermonic wrote:
GTV wrote:
philermonic wrote:

Los Alamos

Los Alamos, Ca.

Here:

You should still be more clear. Visit or avoid like the plague? I've been there, nice but kind of off the track from Phoenix to Yosemite.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Evergreen Air Museum w/Spruce Goose etc @ McMinnville, OR is fun.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh THAT Los Alamos. I have heard that area is beautiful, but it is a bit off track.

Good call on the Spruce Goose! That's something I've always wanted to see, never realized it was that close to Portland. Thanks!!
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update... Or possibly down... In my haste to grab the last available camp spot in Sequoia, I accidentally chose the wrong date. All other spots are reserved Sad So I'm looking for camping options... Any ideas?? We were planning on entering east of Visalia on highway 198.
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've been up there, but we use to camp at Lodgepole. I'll guarantee that place is booked solid, but I remember camping at a place called Buckeye Flat toward the bottom of the hill. It's not too far from where you pay to get into Sequoia on the 198. There's also another campground down there as well. Neither are as nice as the top, but I recall there always being spots available when the top of the mtn was packed.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Buckeye is booked too. Every campsite inside the park is Sad

I've decided we're going to leave very early on Saturday morning, hopefully that will put us in Sequoia no later than 2pm. Hopefully that will give us a few hours to drive through and check out the park. Thinking about driving north through the park and camp somewhere in the Sequoia national forest(?).
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: AZ to OR Road Trip! Looking for Camping/Points of Intere Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
philermonic wrote:
GTV wrote:
philermonic wrote:

Los Alamos

Los Alamos, Ca.

Here:

You should still be more clear. Visit or avoid like the plague? I've been there, nice but kind of off the track from Phoenix to Yosemite.

It's right off the 101 just north of Santa Barbara.
Cool town that began to dry up when the freeway went in and had a couple of really cool antique shope in addition to the Union Hotel and a beautiful Victorian Bed & Breakfast and a left over 1950's gas station.
It's a "GO THERE" spot.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we decide to take 3 days home I will definitely look into it. I'm sure the missus would love it!

I just made a reservation at the Hume Lake campground just north of the national park in the national forest. Last spot available, again! Looks to be a nice place. Actually happier about this location than the first, even though it's not in the park. Might even leave the night before so we can arrive mid morning and have more time to sight see.

I haven't been to Sequoia since I was about five years old, and I've never been to Yosemite. I'm really getting excited!!
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be back in the Willamette Valley/Eugene area by then as I'm getting ready to move. Would be great to get to say hello even in passing if at all possible! Good luck in your travels... I second the Evergreen aviation museum, good stuff there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nickfancher1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this road trip last summer. Spend more time in sequoia and Yosemite. They're amazing especially Yosemite. A MUST is Crater Lake in Oregon. Absolute MUST.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
I should be back in the Willamette Valley/Eugene area by then as I'm getting ready to move. Would be great to get to say hello even in passing if at all possible! Good luck in your travels... I second the Evergreen aviation museum, good stuff there.

I'll let you know Ryan!

I'd love to spend more time in Sequioa and Yosemite. I know we won't even be scratching the surface. But this trip is more about visiting Portland, everything else is secondary. Someday I'll do another trip and spend a whole week in sequoia/Yosemite/kings canyon.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portland is great... lots to do up there, no question!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
Update... Or possibly down... In my haste to grab the last available camp spot in Sequoia, I accidentally chose the wrong date. All other spots are reserved Sad So I'm looking for camping options... Any ideas?? We were planning on entering east of Visalia on highway 198.

as you are heading east on 198, you will see a sign that says "Farmersville Blvd" go right from the interchange, go about 2 miles, and stop at 1715 N. Farmersville Blvd. Even if you aren't in a VW, you'll be glad you did...CB Performance may not look like much from the road, but once you are there, the buildings you can't see go on, and on, and on...maybe you'll hit it right and you'll catch Pat Downs dyno'ing some 400 hp monster VW motor..
Yeas, that is the home of CB Performance...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: